Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a Digital Out SPDIF to Record LPs
(25-Apr-2018, 15:44)rwjr44 Wrote:
(25-Apr-2018, 13:17)Confused Wrote: Going back to @rwjr44 's original problem.  I notice that you are using an Aurender N10.  So one option you have would be to use the Aurender to feed the Devialet via AES/EBU, thus leaving the Devialet's USB free for recording duties.

As you use the Aurender via USB, I am guessing this is because it sounds best to you this way, which is fair enough.  But if you are going though an extended period where you will be recording via USB, this at least gives you a working solution that does not require regular swapping of USB cables, and who knows, after a couple of months trying the Aurender via AES/EBU, you might get to like it!  Just an idea.

I may have to do that. The trouble is this will be a lengthy process and I want to get at least the audio quality that I have now AND I am not sure that I want to spend the requisite money. I'll look into the Mutec option. 

Thanks.
Requisite money?  Are you referring to the cost of an AES/EBU cable?  This does not need to be anything expensive, certainly not for an initial cable to try.  (There is far less reason to spend big money on a balanced XLR type cable than there is for many other cable types) 

Have you tried running the Aurender via AES/EBU?  I was at a group demonstration of the Aurender N10 with a Devialet 800, this included a USB versus AES/EBU demo with the same music, pretty much everyone in the room thought it sounded best via AES/EBU.  I am not sure if you have tried yours via AES/EBU, I presume you have not tried this at home if you do not already have an AES/EBU cable.  Maybe you would actually get improved audio quality by trying this?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Apr-2018, 17:13)rwjr44 Wrote: Why can't you configure one of the RCA connections for Digital out and use that to record an LP?

SPDIF out to a computer with appropriate software. Seems simple BUT IS IT? 

Do you need any additional HW equipment?

I recorded many of my LPs (including some first presses from the 1960's) using a Devialet D-Premier (before I upgraded) so no USB port. I had to use the RCA digital out as you said. In this case, you need a computer with an RCA digital input (a desktop PC with an added PCI card) or another device that converts it to USB (like the Mutec). Or, as you said also, another device that can record straight from RCA digital input. I chose this last option as my desktop PC was in another room and could not place it near my hi-fi rack for long periods. 

I bought a KORG MR-2000s studio recorder that can record in 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24 bit and even single or double DSD 
http://www.korg.com/us/products/drs/mr_2000s/

I'm pretty sure that the reputation of Korg guarantees that this was surely better than the first option and most likely equal or better than the second one. 

I recorded in 192kHz/24bit (Roon even tells me the dynamic range) as that was the max. the D-Premier could handle. I used my  10,000+ euro analogue system for this. I even edited some albums to 'proper format' - as into tracks and track names added, etc. 

Now, I have to say two things. 

The process of recording and sometimes re-recording if somebody happened to make some noise inda house and then editing things into shape from the mass of bits was very time-consuming. I'd say an album took 2-3 hours in total, and not that enjoyable after the first few. 

Second, I have Tidal now (see the rest of my system in my sig.) and I can compare all my recording to the TIDAL version of the same album. (Few of them I had on CD too, so not much chance for that before TIDAL). I must say that most of my recordings (maybe all) sound worse than the TIDAL standard RB flac. 

I will not go into theorizing why that is the case. There are too many factors that may have gone wrong, despite my utmost efforts and self-education to achieve the best results. Or maybe, it is just not possible to digitise something properly in a home environment that could compete with what can be achieved in a studio for the lack of top-shelf equipment and knowledge that exceeds the self-trained 'studio engineer'. 

I also received a few albums recorded by a friend on a much more expensive analogue system and yes, they sound better than mine but still not better than CDs or TIDAL.  

Of course, you still might want to do it but I encourage you to make one recording first and then compare that to a CD or TIDAL and decide if you really want to continue. 

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(25-Apr-2018, 16:17)Confused Wrote:
(25-Apr-2018, 15:44)rwjr44 Wrote:
(25-Apr-2018, 13:17)Confused Wrote: Going back to @rwjr44 's original problem.  I notice that you are using an Aurender N10.  So one option you have would be to use the Aurender to feed the Devialet via AES/EBU, thus leaving the Devialet's USB free for recording duties.

As you use the Aurender via USB, I am guessing this is because it sounds best to you this way, which is fair enough.  But if you are going though an extended period where you will be recording via USB, this at least gives you a working solution that does not require regular swapping of USB cables, and who knows, after a couple of months trying the Aurender via AES/EBU, you might get to like it!  Just an idea.

I may have to do that. The trouble is this will be a lengthy process and I want to get at least the audio quality that I have now AND I am not sure that I want to spend the requisite money. I'll look into the Mutec option. 

Thanks.
Requisite money?  Are you referring to the cost of an AES/EBU cable?  This does not need to be anything expensive, certainly not for an initial cable to try.  (There is far less reason to spend big money on a balanced XLR type cable than there is for many other cable types) 

Have you tried running the Aurender via AES/EBU?  I was at a group demonstration of the Aurender N10 with a Devialet 800, this included a USB versus AES/EBU demo with the same music, pretty much everyone in the room thought it sounded best via AES/EBU.  I am not sure if you have tried yours via AES/EBU, I presume you have not tried this at home if you do not already have an AES/EBU cable.  Maybe you would actually get improved audio quality by trying this?

Thank you. I demoed a Synergistic Galileo AES/EBU cable that was equivalent to my USB cable and it didn't sound as good. Which I found surprising since I have always been a fan of AES/EBU cables.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(25-Apr-2018, 23:14)zdenes Wrote:
(23-Apr-2018, 17:13)rwjr44 Wrote: Why can't you configure one of the RCA connections for Digital out and use that to record an LP?

SPDIF out to a computer with appropriate software. Seems simple BUT IS IT? 

Do you need any additional HW equipment?

I recorded many of my LPs (including some first presses from the 1960's) using a Devialet D-Premier (before I upgraded) so no USB port. I had to use the RCA digital out as you said. In this case, you need a computer with an RCA digital input (a desktop PC with an added PCI card) or another device that converts it to USB (like the Mutec). Or, as you said also, another device that can record straight from RCA digital input. I chose this last option as my desktop PC was in another room and could not place it near my hi-fi rack for long periods. 

I bought a KORG MR-2000s studio recorder that can record in 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24 bit and even single or double DSD 
http://www.korg.com/us/products/drs/mr_2000s/

I'm pretty sure that the reputation of Korg guarantees that this was surely better than the first option and most likely equal or better than the second one. 

I recorded in 192kHz/24bit (Roon even tells me the dynamic range) as that was the max. the D-Premier could handle. I used my  10,000+ euro analogue system for this. I even edited some albums to 'proper format' - as into tracks and track names added, etc. 

Now, I have to say two things. 

The process of recording and sometimes re-recording if somebody happened to make some noise inda house and then editing things into shape from the mass of bits was very time-consuming. I'd say an album took 2-3 hours in total, and not that enjoyable after the first few. 

Second, I have Tidal now (see the rest of my system in my sig.) and I can compare all my recording to the TIDAL version of the same album. (Few of them I had on CD too, so not much chance for that before TIDAL). I must say that most of my recordings (maybe all) sound worse than the TIDAL standard RB flac. 

I will not go into theorizing why that is the case. There are too many factors that may have gone wrong, despite my utmost efforts and self-education to achieve the best results. Or maybe, it is just not possible to digitise something properly in a home environment that could compete with what can be achieved in a studio for the lack of top-shelf equipment and knowledge that exceeds the self-trained 'studio engineer'. 

I also received a few albums recorded by a friend on a much more expensive analogue system and yes, they sound better than mine but still not better than CDs or TIDAL.  

Of course, you still might want to do it but I encourage you to make one recording first and then compare that to a CD or TIDAL and decide if you really want to continue. 

Zoltan

Thank you.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Bying records from Holland / STS records Sound Wery good tjek Them out ,they Cost a little more than other records ,but i Think they Are worth it.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,