Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darko on active speakers
(06-May-2018, 20:07)ogs Wrote: The Beolab 90 is a very ambitious design, very expensive and probably sounds very good. It certainly looks spectacular. I have not heard them. But a DSP controlled speaker in this class that does not correct timing between drivers to create a time coincident output is, in my view, flawed. As far as I know the technology has not 'trickled' down to smaller models yet either. Other (older) speaker models from B&O is definitely not in the class of the Beolab 90.  @Rodrat2's description of the targeted demographic is spot on.

The Beolab 50 has some trickle down.
I did not know about the Beolab 50. Thanks for the correction @Gremlin!
It is clearly based on the same platform as the Beolab 90 and much better looking too, but the price tag...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(06-May-2018, 21:47)ogs Wrote: I did not know about the Beolab 50. Thanks for the correction @Gremlin!
It is clearly based on the same platform as the Beolab 90 and much better looking too, but the price tag...

Views vary re the looks. And I think B&O intentionally don't do cheap. But, considering all the hardware you're getting, I don't see them as being overpriced.
(06-May-2018, 20:07)ogs Wrote: The Beolab 90 is a very ambitious design, very expensive and probably sounds very good. It certainly looks spectacular. I have not heard them. But a DSP controlled speaker in this class that does not correct timing between drivers to create a time coincident output is, in my view, flawed. As far as I know the technology has not 'trickled' down to smaller models yet either. Other (older) speaker models from B&O is definitely not in the class of the Beolab 90.  @Rodrat2's description of the targeted demographic is spot on.

I've heard the Beolab 90, it sounds good to my ageing ears Smile

I didn't realise that it isn't time-aligned. Agree that does seem to be a pretty big flaw  (unless they had a good reason for deciding not to)

EDIT: I just read the Stereophile review. I can't see an reference to lack of time-alignment
(06-May-2018, 23:20)whatmore Wrote:

I've heard the Beolab 90, it sounds good to my ageing ears Smile

I didn't realise that it isn't time-aligned. Agree that does seem to be a pretty big flaw  (unless they had a good reason for deciding not to)

I may be being stupid here, but how could the 90 do its beam steering without being time-aligned?
(06-May-2018, 23:28)Gremlin Wrote: I may be being stupid here, but how could the 90 do its beam steering without being time-aligned?

Don't know. I can't find anything about lack of time-alignment
The step response measurement shows the alignment. For Kii Three it's fig. 1 (with time correction) and 2 (without). For Beolab 90 it is fig. 5. Seems B&O wanted to keep latency below 30ms which is one picture frame - so they had to skip some of the sound quality
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
The Kii three is about to get a lot more powerful;

https://darko.audio/2018/05/munich-high-...8-preview/
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi Pim, yes I've seen that. In my current room the three alone would probably be all I need, but I am sure the extra capacity in the bass would be nice even in a smallish room.
Devialetless!
(07-May-2018, 07:53)Pim Wrote: The Kii three is about to get a lot more powerful;

https://darko.audio/2018/05/munich-high-...8-preview/

Wow !!