Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triple Phantom Setup
So ive been using 2 Phantoms in stereo since i bought them in december last year and i absolutely love them. I just now (forgive me) switched from apple music to tidal hifi which makes them sound even better. 

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a 3 Phantom setup. meaning one in mix mode inbetween the stereo pair.

Does it sound even better/fuller?

Looking forward to your replies
For this to work 'properly' on a stereo recording you'd first remove SUM of L and R and route this to your centre Phantom, then send L -R and R -L to L and R respectively. Actually there exist a few MCH SACDs that contain the three original channels of the recording. One of these is "We Get Requests" by Oscar Peterson Trio (Absolute Sounds).

I do not know if this matrix is easy to achieve with Phantoms as they only take digital input. The easiest is to run L and R as a normal stereo pair and the centre Phantom as mono (mix mode) at lower level, something like 10dB below the main channels. I think at least one Devialet Chat member is using a setup like this. If the main pair is widely spaced, a centre channel would absolutely make sense.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(06-May-2018, 11:20)ogs Wrote: For this to work 'properly' on a stereo recording you'd first remove SUM of L and R and route this to your centre Phantom, then send L -R and R -L to L and R respectively. Actually there exist a few MCH SACDs that contain the three original channels of the recording. One of these is "We Get Requests" by Oscar Peterson Trio (Absolute Sounds).

I do not know if this matrix is easy to achieve with Phantoms as they only take digital input. The easiest is to run L and R as a normal stereo pair and the centre Phantom as mono (mix mode) at lower level, something like 10dB below the main channels. I think at least one Devialet Chat member is using a setup like this. If the main pair is widely spaced, a centre channel would absolutely make sense.

Thanks for your insightful reply, pretty much what I was looking for.
What would you consider widely spaced? I have them positioned next to a 65 inch TV. Id say they are roughly 3.5 meters apart from each other, do you think a third Phantom would improve the soundstage/immersion?

If anyone with a similar setup is reading this, it'd be amazing if you could post pictures of it and your overall experience!

Thank you in advance
Widely spaced? I'd say 4-5 metres, but your 3.5 meters may also work. Let's hope someone that has done this chimes in with their experience.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(06-May-2018, 09:54)cudifying Wrote: So ive been using 2 Phantoms in stereo since i bought them in december last year and i absolutely love them. I just now (forgive me) switched from apple music to tidal hifi which makes them sound even better. 

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a 3 Phantom setup. meaning one in mix mode inbetween the stereo pair.

Does it sound even better/fuller?

Looking forward to your replies

Hi,

We bought 3 Golds and although we’re running two in the living room and one in the bedroom now, when I set them up to test them I had all three in one room running L Mix R. To me, it did sound better and fuller. I don’t know why. Perhaps simply because there was more “sound”.  However,  I’m just as happy to have two in stereo. It’s a a big difference between mono and stereo. Noticeable from 2 to 3 Phantoms. Which Phantoms you have?