Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phonostage
Hi! I’m new here - and a new owner of two Golds. 

I’m looking for a nice phonostage with optical out and have zeroed in on the Mcintosh MP100. Has anybody heard that with the phantoms? 

Pro-ject also has the Prebox DS2 Digital which is also on the radar. 

Thank you in advance

Mads
(14-May-2018, 18:54)Malmbak Wrote: Hi! I’m new here - and a new owner of two Golds. 

I’m looking for a nice phonostage with optical out and have zeroed in on the Mcintosh MP100. Has anybody heard that with the phantoms? 

Pro-ject also has the Prebox DS2 Digital which is also on the radar. 

Thank you in advance

Mads

I use a M2tech Joplin MKii - which I find amazingly good Smile
Thanks. Now that is also on the radar?
Another option if you don’t mind 2 boxes, is to use any phono stage you like - and put it through an A2D with optical out

I reccomend the dspeaker antimode 2 as it has EQ and Room Correction as a bonus!

I only switched as I wanted 1 box to simplify and stop me box swapping! And also theoretically the Joplin has a higher spec A2D chip.... but not sure I would be able to tell the difference, and anyway impossible to compare as the phono stage is built in so you don’t know what’s doing what

What’s your TT / Phono Stage? Joplin might be overkill unless it’s quite high spec. But it does have red digital VU meter on the display which looks great Wink
PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter is what u r looking for.
(17-May-2018, 09:38)Jamington2004 Wrote: Another option if you don’t mind 2 boxes, is to use any phono stage you like - and put it through an A2D with optical out

I reccomend the dspeaker antimode 2 as it has EQ and Room Correction as a bonus!

I only switched as I wanted 1 box to simplify and stop me box swapping! And also theoretically the Joplin has a higher spec A2D chip.... but not sure I would be able to tell the difference, and anyway impossible to compare as the phono stage is built in so you don’t know what’s doing what

What’s your TT / Phono Stage? Joplin might be overkill unless it’s quite high spec. But it does have red digital VU meter on the display which looks great Wink

I have a Mørch turntable with his UP-4 arm. And a Grado Silver Prestige cartridge. Decent setup but maybe not quite up to Joplin or Mcintosh MP100 standards. However, I am looking for a phonostage that will last me through the next upgrades in cartridge and tonearm. And also work if I move on from the Phantom Golds.

M2tech also make the Evo Phonodac 2. Maybe that is a contender?
(17-May-2018, 15:06)Mr_Bill Wrote: PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter is what u r looking for.

That was my first thought, but you need a second "box" to convert USB to optical. It's a bummer, really, because you can get quite cheap used. 

Thank you for your reply.
@Malmbak "M2tech also make the Evo Phonodac 2. Maybe that is a contender?"

I do not think the optical output on this unit is a 'normal' SPDIF out. Seems it only transmits clock info to another M2tech box. The only way to find out is to ask M2tech...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB