Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools for library management?
Thanks to this thread I discovered Yate and Metadatics. Until now I did all metadata editing in iTunes, but their editing interface continues declining. Many things don't work as they should. Now I got trial copies of Yate and Metadatics but find both GUIs a bit complicated and not extremely well organized. Nevertheless I'll probably stay with one of them. 

Which of the two do you recommend in terms of stability and iTunes integration? Thanks.
(19-Feb-2015, 09:33)Mohmm Wrote: Thanks to this thread I discovered Yate and Metadatics. Until now I did all metadata editing in iTunes, but their editing interface continues declining. Many things don't work as they should. Now I got trial copies of Yate and Metadatics but find both GUIs a bit complicated and not extremely well organized. Nevertheless I'll probably stay with one of them. 

Which of the two do you recommend in terms of stability and iTunes integration? Thanks.

for me Yate seems more stable and reliable. a bit cleaner interface also, but i agree it is not that sleek and it takes some time getting used to it.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(17-Feb-2015, 10:11)GRC Wrote: I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd add my ten cents . . .

Everything is currently on Windows 7 with a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

I used iTunes for years but got fed up with no FLAC support so moved to MediaMonkey Gold which I now use for management and basic tagging (usually fixing errors).  I converted my ALAC files to FLAC with dBpoweramp Music Converter in batch mode - took me a couple of days but no real issues.  However, I never used the ratings options in iTunes, nor any other "useage" tags (e.g. number of plays etc.) so whether they get carried across or not was never an issue for me.

I really wanted FLAC because of cross-platform support plus I've been a big Squeezebox user since the early days and they have native FLAC support whereas ALAC has to transcoded on the fly by the server, which is only a little EeePC with an Atom processor and a 1GB drive stuffed inside (by me).

Ripping I also do via dBpoweramp.  It goes into my main desktop PC where any errors are fixed (ditto downloads) by MediaMonkey.  I occasionally use MP3Tag if I have problems with MP3 files.  I then run FreeFileSync on the netbook server which copies new files and changes from the "master" PC to its disk (both it and the main PC are hard-wired to the router so it's quite quick) and finally tell LMS (Logitech Media Server) to add the updates to its library (which is read-only by design) for use by my various Squeezeboxes.  It all sounds harder than it actually is . . . 

MediaMonkey is also good IMHO for putting stuff on iPads, iPhones etc. because it converts FLAC content to MP3 on the fly during the copying process.

Currently at 32,795 tracks and no real issues with any of the above.  But happy to hear about alternatives . . .

it is never too late Smile and thanks for sharing it was very interesting for me.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(19-Feb-2015, 09:33)Mohmm Wrote: Thanks to this thread I discovered Yate and Metadatics. Until now I did all metadata editing in iTunes, but their editing interface continues declining. Many things don't work as they should. Now I got trial copies of Yate and Metadatics but find both GUIs a bit complicated and not extremely well organized. Nevertheless I'll probably stay with one of them. 

I've found Yate to be stable although I agree that the UI is a bit busy.  But if you think Yate's UI is complicated, take a look at Jaikoz!

Another one I've played with, which works nicely in a no-frills kind of way, is Tag (7-day trial available, $5 to buy).  That's probably about the simplest UI I've seen.  As far as I know it doesn't have any particular integration with iTunes, though.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Well I just took a quick look at Yate, Metadatics and Tag.  Unless you're obsessive, I'm not sure what they offer that I can't do very easily in MediaMonkey plus it's a local player as well. It's really easy to use, especially if you've been used to iTunes.   Not sure about the status of Mac implementation but pretty good on Windoze.  It does require iTunes to be installed (but not running) to communicate with iThings but that's not a problem IMHO.

There's a free version you can try but I sprung for a lifetime Gold license since I'm in it for the long haul (until something better comes along  Big Grin)
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

With what editor i can edit DSF and DFF files? , Yate is not capable.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
I find organizing,tagging and album art very handy in Itunes Smile

Always download the album art into the music files after ripping a cd ,and tagging the albums on the fly,After that Itunes take care of the organizing
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Hey Amgad - what format you use now-a-days given you are proud owner of Aurender ? FLAC, ALAC, WAV (i mean mostly, i m sure you have other formats too)

Any SQ difference FALC Vs ALAC Vs WAV?.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(11-Mar-2015, 11:43)Jnan_devi Wrote: Hey Amgad - what format you use now-a-days given you are proud owner of Aurender ? FLAC, ALAC, WAV (i mean mostly, i m sure you have other formats too)

Hi Jnan

98% of my library is FLAC. Very few albums in ALAC and WAV.

I actually experimented a bit and compared some tracks in different formats but could not discern any difference in terms of SQ

Dubai, UAE
(11-Mar-2015, 12:08)amabrok Wrote:
(11-Mar-2015, 11:43)Jnan_devi Wrote: Hey Amgad - what format you use now-a-days given you are proud owner of Aurender ? FLAC, ALAC, WAV (i mean mostly, i m sure you have other formats too)

Hi Jnan

98% of my library is FLAC. Very few albums in ALAC and WAV.

I actually experimented a bit and compared some tracks in different formats but could not discern any difference in terms of SQ

I see!. thank you Amgad!. Appreciate it...
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"