Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many volts can Devialet drive?
I'm sure you can guess why I'm asking this... it is for Martin Logan speakers or any electrostatic speaker for that matter where volts and not current are more important.

Sanders Sound Systems claim that their ESL amp Mk II can drive 64 volts (RMS) into an ESL and that this will play them at very loud levels and make it possible to reproduce dynamic music at live levels with ESLs that are capable of such performance. 

My question is do we have references for how many volts the different Devialet systems are capable of driving?

I'm particularly interested in D200 and D400. But I'm sure if there is a reference for all Ds it will help other members as well

Thanks!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hi, I've never seen published info on Devialet output voltages but surely more important questions would be "do I like the sound of the Devialet - Martin Logan combination, does it go loud enough for me and do I prefer the sound to that of the ESL amp" Smile

There are several Martin Logan users on here and I haven't seen any complaints about lack of power or distortion (harshness) at high frequencies which you would typically get if an amp was not capable of driving the low impedence load. Devialet say their amps are suitable for loads down to 2 ohms though I see that a Montis drops as low as 0.52 ohms at 20 kHz Huh
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(30-Nov-2014, 11:04)PhilP Wrote: Hi, I've never seen published info on Devialet output voltages but surely more important questions would be "do I like the sound of the Devialet - Martin Logan combination, does it go loud enough for me and do I prefer the sound to that of the ESL amp" Smile

There are several Martin Logan users on here and I haven't seen any complaints about lack of power or distortion (harshness) at high frequencies which you would typically get if an amp was not capable of driving the low impedence load. Devialet say their amps are suitable for loads down to 2 ohms though I see that a Montis drops as low as 0.52 ohms at 20 kHz Huh
That's exactly my point PhilP!

I'm one of those happy Devialet-Martin Logan combo owners, but my ML is the Electromotion ESL which only drops to 1.6 ohms @ 20khz (close to the 2 ohms rating of Devialet) contrary to the Montis which drops to 0.5 ohms @ 20khz.

And the reason why I ask is that I'm seriously considering the Montis as my next upgrade
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
Hiya... I tend to agree with PhilP which is that the technical measurements may say one thing but you really have to listen to the combo to know if it works for you.

I have ML Ethos which have similar specs to the Montis for the panel impedance and have no problem driving them with the D200. In fact it outperforms my previous bridged Chord Mezzo 140's which were according to the specs good for 240 w per channel.

Have a listen / demo and I am sure you will be impressed... Tony
Chord Blu > D200 > Martin Logan Ethos : Saddleworth, England
Hey, in Germany, you find „Stereoplay“ (http://www.stereoplay.de/abo/index.php?c...0a&&wtAdd&)
Devialet 400 on issue 12/2014:
voltage 8Ohm: 50,8V / current 3Ohm: 13,6A / power 8Ohm: 323W / power 4Ohm: 522W / rated (analog/digital): 61/61
Devialet 170 on issue 10/2013
voltage 8Ohm: 32V / current 3Ohm: 8,6A / power 8Ohm: 122W / power4 Ohm: 196W / rated: 60/60
Devialet 120 on issue 3/2014
voltage 8Ohm: 26V / current 3Ohm: 7,7A / power 8Ohm: 80W / power 4Ohm: 160W /rated: 58/59
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg
The specifications seem to have disappeared from the Devialet web site, unless I just haven't looked hard enough.

IIRC the 200 is specified to drive 200W (presumably RMS) into a 6 Ω load. Naively, using P = V^2/R, this would need an output voltage of about 35 V RMS. I'm sure it will be designed to have plenty of headroom to deal with high-power transients.

(I recall seeing something in the config file that looked like an output voltage limit for the power supply, and it had a value of 138. May or may not be significant.)

[Edited to correct way-off mental arithmetic! Sorry for any confusion.]
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(30-Nov-2014, 12:09)amabrok Wrote:
(30-Nov-2014, 11:04)PhilP Wrote: Hi, I've never seen published info on Devialet output voltages but surely more important questions would be "do I like the sound of the Devialet - Martin Logan combination, does it go loud enough for me and do I prefer the sound to that of the ESL amp" Smile

That's exactly my point PhilP!

I'm one of those happy Devialet-Martin Logan combo owners, but my ML is the Electromotion ESL which only drops to 1.6 ohms @ 20khz (close to the 2 ohms rating of Devialet) contrary to the Montis which drops to 0.5 ohms @ 20khz.

And the reason why I ask is that I'm seriously considering the Montis as my next upgrade

I think it's a reasonable line of enquiry. The question then is how to interpret the information ...

Anyway, on Tuesday the Magtech power amp should arrive here. By Thursday I should have a view on how it stacks up against both a 200 and 400.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(30-Nov-2014, 13:17)Tony Wrote: Hiya... I tend to agree with PhilP which is that the technical measurements may say one thing but you really have to listen to the combo to know if it works for you.

I have ML Ethos which have similar specs to the Montis for the panel impedance and have no problem driving them with the D200. In fact it outperforms my previous bridged Chord Mezzo 140's which were according to the specs good for 240 w per channel.

Have a listen / demo and I am sure you will be impressed... Tony
I guess you have point Tony. My ears tells me it's awesome but I guess my mind is just obsessed with the technical specs Smile

(30-Nov-2014, 13:17)listener Wrote: Hey, in Germany, you find „Stereoplay“ (http://www.stereoplay.de/abo/index.php?c...0a&&wtAdd&)
Devialet 400 on issue 12/2014:
voltage 8Ohm: 50,8V / current 3Ohm: 13,6A / power 8Ohm: 323W / power 4Ohm: 522W / rated (analog/digital): 61/61
Devialet 170 on issue 10/2013
voltage 8Ohm: 32V / current 3Ohm: 8,6A / power 8Ohm: 122W / power4 Ohm: 196W / rated: 60/60
Devialet 120 on issue 3/2014
voltage 8Ohm: 26V / current 3Ohm: 7,7A / power 8Ohm: 80W / power 4Ohm: 160W /rated: 58/59
Thanks listener!

I'm not sure I understand. I guess the text need some formatting/punctuation to be legible for my simple mind

Help please

Dubai, UAE