Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD tracks
(02-Dec-2014, 10:10)Mikeeo Wrote: Philip,

Could you elaborate on the comments concerning quality of the HD tracks downloads. Is it sound quality in terms that they don't deliver the promised formats or is it the handling of the downloads, or...?

Kindly/Mike

Mike,

sorry, I only just saw your question. I also see that you have subsequently had some problems with downloads and also some doubts about the resolution of the music files you have bought. There have been plenty of similar complaints about HD Tracks on other forums in the past but I just checked and, to be fair, there are much fewer recent complaints. There seem to be many happy HD Tracks customers so I guess things have improved.

You might find this article interesting though it is a couple of years old:

AudioStream - HD Tracks interview

According to that article HD Tracks use outside companies to check the files that music companies send them. I don't know when this process started and if they went back through their whole catalogue. It is clearly down to the retailer to ensure that the resolution of the files are as they describe them and that they can be played. If you have any doubts about the files you purchased then I would expect that HD Tracks would give you a refund and remove the offending items from their download site Wink Oops, it just occurred to me that you may not have protection under consumer law if you bought the files from the US site by circumventing their regional restrictions Exclamation

I don't use HD Tracks myself as their prices are far too high in the UK. I use Qobuz who are cheaper and appear to have a broader catalogue.

Regards,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(03-Dec-2014, 11:42)PhilP Wrote:

Could you elaborate on the comments concerning quality of the HD tracks downloads. Is it sound quality in terms that they don't deliver the promised formats or is it the handling of the downloads, or...?

Kindly/Mike

Mike,

sorry, I only just saw your question. I also see that you have subsequently had some problems with downloads and also some doubts about the resolution of the music files you have bought. There have been plenty of similar complaints about HD Tracks on other forums in the past but I just checked and, to be fair, there are much fewer recent complaints. There seem to be many happy HD Tracks customers so I guess things have improved.

According to that article HD Tracks use outside companies to check the files that music companies send them. I don't know when this process started and if they went back through their whole catalogue. It is clearly down to the retailer to ensure that the resolution of the files are as they describe them and that they can be played. If you have any doubts about the files you purchased then I would expect that HD Tracks would give you a refund and remove the offending items from their download site Wink Oops, it just occurred to me that you may not have protection under consumer law if you bought the files from the US site by circumventing their regional restrictions Exclamation

I don't use HD Tracks myself as their prices are far too high in the UK. I use Qobuz who are cheaper and appear to have a broader catalogue.

Regards,

Philip

Update!

HD track contacted me and let med download all the files that that were corrupt. However this didn't help as the results came out the same. Very strange indeed. Can it be that i am a Mac user? 12 of 18 albums was successfully downloaded and these files had all the different format as the files I can't stream. Yes the files are perfectly seen on my storage device but aren't recognized by my unitiserve. I tried downloads from other sources and had full success.
I am about to ask for a reimbursement for the files I can not use.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(04-Dec-2014, 02:01)Mikeeo Wrote:

Kindly/Mike

Mike,

Regards,

Philip

Update!

HD track contacted me and let med download all the files that that were corrupt. However this didn't help as the results came out the same. Very strange indeed. Can it be that i am a Mac user? 12 of 18 albums was successfully downloaded and these files had all the different format as the files I can't stream. Yes the files are perfectly seen on my storage device but aren't recognized by my unitiserve. I tried downloads from other sources and had full success.

/Mike
Strange indeed!

Being a Mac user should not make any difference in the readability of files.

Make sure that on your Mac in Finder preferences you are not showing file extensions or if your are showing them you are not inadvertently changing the file extensions which will render the files illegible
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(04-Dec-2014, 05:15)amabrok Wrote:

Kindly/Mike

Mike,

Regards,

Philip

Update!

/Mike
Strange indeed!

Make sure that on your Mac in Finder preferences you are not showing file extensions or if your are showing them you are not inadvertently changing the file extensions which will render the files illegible

Thanks,

Well, just for the sake of it I tried them on my VLC player and there all files work.

Your suggestion below, I don't follow, as I am totally zero about computer language. What do i need to control/check?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Mike, I'm sorry this is happening. I've used HDTRacks several times and never had a problem such as the one you mention I use an old MBPRO 2008, and stream through AIr straight into the Dev via Ethernet. Could there be any problem in the streamer? Have you tried playing the rebellious tracks on the Mac either using iTunes or some other program such as Vox? Because if this works, then the issue must be somewhere else...

All the best!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > Q Acoustic Concept 20 (soon to be KEF LS50). Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(04-Dec-2014, 11:34)Mikeeo Wrote:
(04-Dec-2014, 05:15)amabrok Wrote:

Kindly/Mike

Mike,

Regards,

Philip

Update!

/Mike
Strange indeed!

Thanks,

Well, just for the sake of it I tried them on my VLC player and there all files work.

Your suggestion below, I don't follow, as I am totally zero about computer language. What do i need to control/check?

/Mike
Files do have extensions (the three letters after the dot) and these are used by operating systems and applications to recognize file types.

So if by mistake you change or delete that the program may fail to identify the file type and accordingly will not play the file .

In Finder on Mac there is an potion to show or hide file extensions (by default it is hidden). So I was just drawing your attention to the possibility that if the file extensions are shown then you may have changed the extension of some files by mistake (for example if you were renaming the files) which could be the reason why some of the files don't play
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Guys,

Many thanks for your kind input!

Some of the 'faulty' files are with naim Audio at the moment.

/Mike