Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Devialet 400
Hello everyone , I am a new user to Devialet 400 , which i got after auditioning the 200 which i must say was too good to be true.

i previously had Mcintosh Ma7000 and have B&W 802D Speakers. The sound here was really good and i wanted to upgrade something that matched the speakers , so i got the Devialet 400.

I am right now not quite pleased with the 400 , the reasons as follows .

the 400 lacks the clarity in vocals as I had in Mcintosh ma 7000 and also the Devialet 200 .

The unit - BOTH MASTER AND SLAVE gets very hot , i mean very hot .

The distributor here tells me that the 400 has to run for a minimum of 100 hours before it can be optimised .

I am not sure if this is true and this is all confusing after spending so much on this new amp 400.

Will appreciate if anyone can help me with their comments .

cheers
(05-Dec-2014, 07:48)Sachin Wrote: Hello everyone , I am a new user to Devialet 400 , which i got after auditioning the 200 which i must say was too good to be true.

i previously had Mcintosh Ma7000 and have B&W 802D Speakers. The sound here was really good and i wanted to upgrade something that matched the speakers , so i got the Devialet 400.

I am right now not quite pleased with the 400 , the reasons as follows .

the 400 lacks the clarity in vocals as I had in Mcintosh ma 7000 and also the Devialet 200 .

The unit - BOTH MASTER AND SLAVE gets very hot , i mean very hot .

The distributor here tells me that the 400 has to run for a minimum of 100 hours before it can be optimised .

I am not sure if this is true and this is all confusing after spending so much on this new amp 400.

Will appreciate if anyone can help me with their comments .

cheers

Hi Sachin and welcome to the forum and congrats on your D400

i had a similar experience with my D200 (now upgraded to D400). when i auditioned the D200 at my dealers' it was mind blowing and when i had my new unit at home i was disappointed (to a point of scare) by how cold, harsh and tight the sound was! and yes the unit was running very hot!

I read here on the forum that it needs some time to break in so i did not panic and kept it playing for like 2-3 days and then slowly but surely the devialet started to shine and show it true character which is actually disappear! in the sense that it just neutrally and transparently amplify whatever the source sends to it.

then after a while i upgraded to D400. and here really what i felt was not only more power, but better clarity and wider sound stage with even more abyssal silence! and luckily the slave unit was not as cold nor harsh sound quality wise as the master unit out of the box. and indeed both still run very hot. i read here that the longer they run the cooler they become. actually some members take that as an indicator of whether the unit has really set in or not.

now for you, it is all about personal experience and i like here is that we all understand, appreciate and respect that we may have different tastes and different listening environments, so what may apply or appeal for me may not for you.

having said that, the only advice i can say here is that give it time to run in, and also ensure to have lots of tweaking, like placement of speakers, cabling , or even the digital link between master and slave (lots on that on the forum here), etc...

after all this is a major upgrade and as such will require some tweaking to sound its best. and hey i guess this is part of the joy we all share, which is the never ending hunt for that elusive ultimate sound quality that calls for continuous tweaking and upgrading.

please keep us posted on how the D400 dawns on you Smile
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Thank you for your prompt response, I am using all high end cables from AUDIO QUEST , hope the 400 shines even better the Mcintosh. keeping fingers crossed .
(05-Dec-2014, 08:21)Sachin Wrote: Thank you for your prompt response, I am using all high end cables from AUDIO QUEST , hope the 400 shines even better the Mcintosh. keeping fingers crossed .

You are welcome Sachin

you may also consider SAM on or off if there is a profile for your Speakers

Speaking of which, i guess it will be a good idea if you share with us your whole system setup. it will help other members to chime in with ideas and suggestions
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
Yes, there is a profile for Bowers and Wilkins speakers - 802D on the Devialet 400, and Sam is ON.

I am using Mcintosh CD / SACD player MCD 500. Besides phono is from Project ( this is a basic system which needs an upgrade soon )

Tape Deck is an old one and a really good one from DENON .
(05-Dec-2014, 09:03)Sachin Wrote: Yes, there is a profile for Bowers and Wilkins speakers - 802D on the Devialet 400, and Sam is ON.

I am using Mcintosh CD / SACD player MCD 500. Besides phono is from Project ( this is a basic system which needs an upgrade soon )

Tape Deck is an old one and a really good one from DENON .

Tape deck, interesting, makes me nostalgic Smile

how do you connect McI CD/SACD to the D400?

802D are excellent speakers but they are bass beasts as i remember from auditioning them! how big is your listening room? rome size and placement will be really important here. also try to SAM off and see the impact

Dubai, UAE
Yes Indeed the old tapes have come back to life , i am lucky to have stored them for the past 25 years.

The Mcd 500 is connected through Audio Quest cables ( costed me over USD 1000)

mY Living room is quite bog and long , approx 800 sq ft.

Sam ON, sounds better and since they have done the research on SAM i think i better leave it ON.
(05-Dec-2014, 09:22)Sachin Wrote: Yes Indeed the old tapes have come back to life , i am lucky to have stored them for the past 25 years.

The Mcd 500 is connected through Audio Quest cables ( costed me over USD 1000)

mY Living room is quite bog and long , approx 800 sq ft.

Sam ON, sounds better and since they have done the research on SAM i think i better leave it ON.

if i am guessing right, these are analogue interconnect from Mcd 500 to D400?

Dubai, UAE
The heat issue may be to do with the units not being run in. I, and others on here, have found that the units can run hot when new. It seems to vary too - I tried demo units that sounded good & were cool pretty much out of the box (they were both new) but the one I bought took several months to start sounding good.
I agree with Rufus. My new "companion" sounded a bit grim when new, and ran a few degrees hotter than my then year old "master". Although, for me, the new companion settled in fairly quickly, more or less sounding as it should in about a week, with the temperatures dropping back in a similar time frame.

Congratulations for being the first forum member to discuss the use of an old tape deck! I did a similar thing a while back, listening to a whole load of old tapes I has stored in a large box for many years. The good think was, every now and again I came across some music I really liked but had more or less forgotten about. Often the quality of the tapes were not that good, but when I found the odd musical gem, a few minutes on Amazon and a nice new CD copy would be on it's way, usually for not much money. All good fun, and what it's all really about I think. And I never did finish going through that tape box, lots of fun and rediscovery still to come!