Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Meridian MQA
I grabbed this from Roon forum, an apparent announcement by PS Audio....

Paul has announced on the PS Audio forum that PS Audio will be incorporating MQA - in their bridge only.
Here's the quote:

"While I will not allow MQA in our DACs because it actually makes them sound worse, we have agreed the proper place for it is in the Bridge. We’re probably only a matter of a few weeks away from implementing it in the Bridge. We will make MQA available to our customers for free. We’ll cover the expense."

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Auralic Aries implementation of MQA is excellent. Straight from the Lightning DS app you can choose MAQ titles. But here is what surprised me, coax is limited to 24/192 but not with MQA. I have been listening to 24/352 titles over a coax connection. Essentially the signal received by my Mytek Brooklyn DAC is 24/44 from the Aries so it passes through without issues. Obviously the DAC then hardware decodes the MQA file to 24/352. Can't believe I am streaming 24/352 DXD files and they sound absolutely fantastic. Wow it's nice to get a taste of the future. More power to Bob Stuart and Meridian, a British company at the forefront of cutting edge hi-tech.
Some light reading:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...is-of-mqa/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Mar-2017, 14:36)Confused Wrote: Some light reading:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...is-of-mqa/

Quite interesting reading, especially the analysis linked. 
This is confirming what can be understood from reading the patents from Meridian that MQA is probably an interesting streaming format providing a very good compression ratio for high des audio, but the rest of its claims is more that dubious compared to an unadulterated PCM file which is what's comes out of the mastering console. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I have not heard MQA, nor would want to. I am happy with my 24/192. It is all in how a record has been mastered that matters. Even 16/44 has the ability to captivate. When ever I am in a music store and see a good Indian classical CD I don't hesitate to grab it put in my basket. All they want "us" to do is spend our cash on music we already have in 24/192 by now saying it sounds better in DSD or MQA. The only authentication I require is from the mastering studio that this is the real deal, and not some blue MQA light. But I have a sense that MQA is here to stay as now Tidal (the most popular streaming service) is behind it. All "they" needed was to say is we can now stream in 24/192 the holy grail, and MQA is the perfect solution or gimmick to offer that.
Well kiddies Audirvana+ 3.0 fully loaded with MQA is out there and available to you all. I downloaded it last night and gave it an airing through my 250 Pro. I took a selection of tracks from Led Zep II and III, Yes 90125, Phil Collins and even Ed Sheerhan's latest. All sounded mighty fine to me. The clarity of the 90125 album was exceptional IMHO.
Hallo all, maybe it has been answered before, apologies if it have

But when I chose a "master" album in my Aurender, the input rate at the D200 states 48Hz--does anybody know what happens?

The music sounds excellent.

BR Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
I may be misstaken, but I think only the A10 is fully MQA certificeert as this is DAC dependent if I understood correctly.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(13-Mar-2017, 07:23)Morten Wrote: Hallo all, maybe it has been answered before, apologies if it have

But when I chose a "master" album in my Aurender, the input rate at the D200 states 48Hz--does anybody know what happens?

The music sounds excellent.

BR Morten

As long as Aurender does not implement the first unfold of MQA in software or Devialet does the unfolding of the MQA you will only see 44.1/24 or 48/24 when you play "master" album in Tidal on your Aurender.

Today I only think the Tidal desktop app and Audirvana will make the first unfold to 88.2 and 96kHz in software if you want the full MQA your DAC needs to be MQA certified and do the complete unfold to the original resolution.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thanks for the replies, I wonder if Devialat will incorporate MQA in the 200 version...

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark