Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions, questions & questions! New 220pro
Hi Zambie,

First of all, welcome to Devialet Chat. There are many experienced owners here and you will find we're quite the helpful bunch.

Secondly, you owe your boss half an hour overtime for 'wasting' your time on DC Wink

Now to the business;

I don't know how you came to buy your 220 Pro CI but you might want to read up on how it works and why. The Expert range is based on the idea that what comes in digitally will be converted and amplified via the shortest possible route. That system (ADH and Magic wire) is what makes the Expert range stand out from any other integrated amp out there. To keep a long story short, use the DAC inside the Expert and you are way ahead in sound quality compared to using the DAC in your Onkyo player or your MBP. Ditch the 3.5mm jack idea.

Just a thing about AIR; It stands for Asynchronous Intelligent Route and it can be run over Ethernet OR WIFI. The name seems to suggest it's a WIFI only thing but Ethernet is more stable. So if you can connect your 220 to your network via Ethernet that'll be the best way to start.

I have no idea whether it is possible to use the Onkyo player via AIR but the AIR software needs to be installed on a computer so I don't think you can.

Spotify connect should work via Ethernet or WIFI and you should be able to use a phone as a remote control. That means the music comes straight from the internet to the 220. Not via your phone.

To play local files, I would use the MacBook. Either via Ethernet (AIR) or USB. WIFI (AIR) is a last resort because anything wireless is less stable. Having said that, the new Expert has an external antenna so it works better now than in the past.

If you use the MBP you can use a phone / tablet as a remote control so you won't need to be getting up every time you want to change songs. That works with iTunes and if you want down the track, Roon. Don't do the Roon free trial unless you have the money ready to sign up for life. Roon is so easy to use, once you start you won't want to give it up.

Good luck,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions, questions & questions! New 220pro - by Pim - 10-Jan-2019, 00:21