Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proac D30R vs. PMC Twenty 26 vs. Other options?
LOL, I posted my reply before reading the whole thread.

Congrats with your new speakers :-)
NAS: LaCie Cloudbox
Streaming bridge: Auralic Aries
DAC/Amplifier: Devialet 200
Speakers: Magico S1
Digital cables: Audioquest Cinnamon
Loudspeaker cables: Vertere Pulse-X Mini
Spendor D7?
Tried the D7, thought they were good - very nicely balanced, but thought the PMC 24 was marginally better and the 26 substantially better (as it should be given the price!)
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
I recently listened to the PMC Twenty 23/24/26, and I liked the 23 the best on a Naim Supernait2.
-23 had the best dynamics of them all, music was more coherent and best soundstage IMHO
-24 felt a little boxy, the speakers did not disappear as they did with the 23
-26 was close to the 23's merits with better low-end (but not worth the 2x price in my cca 20 sqm room)

I demoed the D7 an hour later in an other store (no direct comparison) but unfortunately only with a Naim UQ2. The Spendors are easy to drive, but still the UQ2 was not enough and thus the presentation not that convincing. However they claimed that Spendor has a deeper soundstage and a lot better instrument separation ("PMC puts everything in front").. not sure about that as the 23 gave the most goosebumps Smile

Anyway, I will have a chance to compare the 23 with D7 on a devialet in a few weeks at Hifi Lounge and will report back.
Interesting - I didn't try the 23. My choice of the 26 was certainly influenced by the fact that I will be using them in a very large room in any case. I liked the D7, certainly well worth checking out head-to-head. I suspect SAM must be close for the D7 too, there are a huge number of votes on the site now. From trying SAM on a number of speakers, the PMC implementation seems very good, I didn't find it as striking on other brands.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(14-Dec-2014, 12:39)Mac User Wrote: I have listened to most of the PMC Twenty Series as I was looking for a replacement to my PMC GB1i speakers. IMO the Twenty 26 is more about filling a large space with a lot of sound but lacks refinement. The Fact series are a much better built cabinet with more sophisticated crossovers and to my old ears just sounded the right upgrade! The recent SAM profile gives even more flexibility to the 8's but at the moment the jury is out on some music types. As ever, have a listen at home if you can and see what you think about the options...

I have Fact 8's and am about to take the plunge on a D200, so am pleased to hear there are at least a couple of people that think its a nice combination.

I've only had mine a couple of weeks, and they have about 100-200 hours on them from new, so I'm not sure whether they have more settling down or not, they seemed a little bright at first but then my room has that trait. What I noticed last night was very interesting though - changing cables over to the bass driver speaker inputs made a dramatic difference - almost swamped with bass, and I think at the expense of the tweeter which I now think isn't quite getting the power it needs. Or I've just got really accustomed to a strong treble bias. On my previous Neat Motive speakers, there was barely an audible difference between inputs, so I wasn't even going to try it on the PMCs. Am curious if others experience this.
(31-Mar-2015, 20:25)Neffa Wrote: Interesting - I didn't try the 23. My choice of the 26 was certainly influenced by the fact that I will be using them in a very large room in any case. I liked the D7, certainly well worth checking out head-to-head. I suspect SAM must be close for the D7 too, there are a huge number of votes on the site now. From trying SAM on a number of speakers, the PMC implementation seems very good, I didn't find it as striking on other brands.

I do own the Spendor D7's and audited them at home with the Devialet 200. I was sold. Have ordered the Devialet (to be expected by the end of may) and already booked a trip to Paris (with my girlfriend AND Spendor's :-) to let Devialet do their magic for SAM on the Spendor's. 

So, if everything is going as planned, the Spendor D7's will be SAM ready after 6 may...!
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
My ProAc Response D30R with SAM ON are working great at low and high volumes. Very happy!