Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM ML Theos for ML Montis!
Hi All,

I know for some of you what I am about to share will be seen as heresy but I will in any case Smile

Staying true to the fact that Devialet is not a set-it-and-forget-it but rather an ever evolving system I decided to play around a bit.

My going in assumptions were:
-----------------------------------
1- ML Montis will not be SAMed because of the active sub and its internal DSP despite the fact that it has by far more than the 100 votes required for SAM;
2- Since the Montis has its own internal DSP and powered sub it will in any case ignore SAM profile and apply its own processing for the sub;
3- Based on point #2, I did not see any theoretical risk on the Montis to use ML Theos SAM profile! The Montis sub will in any case use its own processing and the Panels of both Montis and Theos are very similar if not identical;
4- Some members here reported improvement in the mid-range with SAM profile, accordingly the Montis panels may benefit from the Theos SAM profile with the theoretical elimination of any risk on the sub.

Testing:
---------

I set up a new configurator with the Theos SAM profile and the Mute button set to "SAM on/off" and the Tone Button to control "SAM %"

Tested SAM off vs SAM 34% vs SAM 50% vs SAM 75%. Starting with the later and working my way down all while replaying a very familiar track that i know by heart.

Outcome:
----------

* SAM 50 and 75% >> boomy and i starting to hear and feel vibration coming out of hidden places in my room Smile
* SAM off >> Bass cleaner but mid-range and vocals sound a bit hollow
* SAM 34% >> Even cleaner bass and a more relaxed extension, but the real pleasant surprise was on the mid-range and vocals. More presence and in front of me and the hollow (wide sound effect) is almost gone.

SAM Theos @ 34% on Montis is sweet and warm. Call me crazy Big Grin
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Very interesting. As a fellow ML owner I'd given up on SAM (but then deep bass isn't that important to me) but I must admit I am intrigued.

Will have a play and see what I find.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(20-Dec-2014, 20:42)ozthepoz Wrote: Very interesting. As a fellow ML owner I'd given up on SAM (but then deep bass isn't that important to me) but I must admit I am intrigued.

let me know how it works with your Vantage
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(20-Dec-2014, 22:37)amabrok Wrote:
(20-Dec-2014, 20:42)ozthepoz Wrote: Very interesting. As a fellow ML owner I'd given up on SAM (but then deep bass isn't that important to me) but I must admit I am intrigued.

let me know how it works with your Vantage

Hi Amabrok

Did exactly as you suggested and dialled SAM up to 34%.

The first thing I noticed was a much sharper presentation of snare drum and a more accurate soundstage. The upper middle frequencies seem to be the main beneficiaries. I'll try it with some bassy music tomorrow, but the overall effect was similar to a power upgrade.

Mrs Poz ventured the opinion that it sounded "much better"!

Baffled but very pleased at the same time.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(23-Dec-2014, 00:40)ozthepoz Wrote: Hi Amabrok

Did exactly as you suggested and dialled SAM up to 34%.

The first thing I noticed was a much sharper presentation of snare drum and a more accurate soundstage. The upper middle frequencies seem to be the main beneficiaries. I'll try it with some bassy music tomorrow, but the overall effect was similar to a power upgrade.

Mrs Poz ventured the opinion that it sounded "much better"!

Baffled but very pleased at the same time.

Great! Very happy to hear it has worked well for you.

I like what we have discovered here

Dubai, UAE
I use a combination of Bluesound Node + Spottify Premium, D200, Montis, Trinnov ST2 and Supra Quadrax cable in a 6.5 x 10.5 m room. Months 1.5m from sidewalls and 2.5m from rear walls.
Of course good sound experience with Bluesound Node + Spottify Premium, D200, Montis, and Supra Quadrax.
Then switch-in the Trinnov and everything comes into focus (phase) and the low frequency nodes all disappear.
Ruler flat response (will share images when I have time). The improvement is so vast that non-hifi friends remark that suddenly they can identify the position of all instruments.
I think all Dev/Montis hifi lovers owe themselves the Trinnov ST2 experience. Thereafter you ask yourself if you would need super expensive connects if most imperfections are compensated for.