Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New Aurender models; X100 vs N100 vs N10 vs S10 ?
(14-Jan-2015, 19:05)kenreau Wrote: I submitted the USB, SPDIF, AES port format question to Devialet and got a very prompt response I thought would be beneficial for the group

Thierry Massoubre (Devialet)
Jan 14 09:13
Dear Ken,
Thanks for your message. Basically, the 3 inputs are as qualitative (provided that the USB output of the Aurender is asynchronous). The selecting factor will be more linked to the distance between the different elements.
 A USB cable shouldn't be longer than 2 to 3m. If you intend to have a wider distance betwenn the Devialet and your server, you may consider using the AES/EBU input. Mind using a genuine 100 Ohm digital cable in this case.
I hope this helps you.
Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks
 Kenreau

I assume by "Qualitative" Thierry means equivalent?

and i confirm that Aurender usb out is async.

what will be ideal if any of the members here on the forum own W20 or S10 as they will be in a position to do a direct comparison between the different three outputs and how each one plays with Devialet
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(14-Jan-2015, 19:15)amabrok Wrote:
(14-Jan-2015, 19:05)kenreau Wrote: I submitted the USB, SPDIF, AES port format question to Devialet and got a very prompt response I thought would be beneficial for the group

Dear Ken,
Thanks for your message. Basically, the 3 inputs are as qualitative (provided that the USB output of the Aurender is asynchronous). The selecting factor will be more linked to the distance between the different elements.
 A USB cable shouldn't be longer than 2 to 3m. If you intend to have a wider distance betwenn the Devialet and your server, you may consider using the AES/EBU input. Mind using a genuine 100 Ohm digital cable in this case.
I hope this helps you.
Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks
 Kenreau

what will be ideal if any of the members here on the forum own W20 or S10 as they will be in a position to do a direct comparison between the different three outputs and how each one plays with Devialet

But no mention of SPDIF but assume, that as AES/EBU is designed to provide balanced input/output, it should provide a better performance (better noise cancelling so should, in theory, be quieter) over SPDIF provided that both output and input sources are designed with fully balanced circuits. Assume that both the AES/EBU output of the Aurender, and AES/EBU input to Devialet are fully balanced?

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(14-Jan-2015, 19:15)amabrok Wrote:

Dear Ken,
I hope this helps you.
Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks
 Kenreau

I agree, equivalent.

I did ask around at whatsbest and did get a related response;

Hi Kenreau,

I have a frd who is using Devialet 400 monos and Aurender S10.

He tried the two connection configurations of S10 to D400 and told me that the USB input of Devialet was mediocre. Its spdif digital inputs gave better performance. It may be because the usb-to-spdif circuit of S10 is better than the internal one of Devialet.

My friend compared only the USB output vs Coaxial digital output of his S10 into his Devialet 400. Although S10 also has AES digital output, he didn't use this route. However, I guess USB connection is still the most inferior of the three routes.

CK

This leads me to consider the (Aurender) AES to (Devialet) AES connections as most likely the best.  Given a choice (from the Aurender S10) avoiding the kluge USB signal conversions out of a server machine and back into receiver / dac for an unconversion seem like a compromised route, unless there is something to be gained by a possible high quality USB SPDIF convertor appliance (i.e. Berkeley Alpha USB converter) set up between devices for added isolation and reclocking process.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
Are there any updates about the expected availability of the N10?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(06-Mar-2015, 10:08)miro Wrote: Are there any updates about the expected availability of the N10?

Not that I'm aware of. It has completely disappeared from Aurender website.

Keen to know launch timing and pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
I just checked the Aurender site (yes, I'm interested following your review Wink ) and there is now some info on the N10 again. They're still saying that availability is March 2015

http://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile

One strange thing is that length, weight and display are all TBD ???

Internal storage for system and cache: 240Gb SSD
Music storage : optional (dealer install)
Outputs : USB, COAX, Optical, BNC, AES/EBU
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(06-Mar-2015, 10:46)PhilP Wrote: Inputs : USB, COAX, Optical, BNC, AES/EBU

Thanks for sharing.

I suppose you mean digital outputs and not inputs

Dubai, UAE
For me, this makes products like the Aria streamer or even the NAD M50 look interesting. Both of these offer AES/EBU output, at half or third of the price of the Aurender N10.
(06-Mar-2015, 14:32)Confused Wrote: For me, this makes products like the Aria streamer or even the NAD M50 look interesting.  Both of these offer AES/EBU output, at half or third of the price of the Aurender N10.

When I tested the Auralic Aries the USB output was considerably better than the AES/EBU output. I don't think the type of digital output necessarily guarantees anything, even if the Devialet's AES/EBU input is supposed to be the best qualitatively speaking. Only way to know is to test in your own system, hi-fi is always full of surprises as you know.  Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Mar-2015, 14:41)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-Mar-2015, 14:32)Confused Wrote: For me, this makes products like the Aria streamer or even the NAD M50 look interesting.  Both of these offer AES/EBU output, at half or third of the price of the Aurender N10.

When I tested the Auralic Aries the USB output was considerably better than the AES/EBU output. I don't think the type of digital output necessarily guarantees anything, even if the Devialet's AES/EBU input is supposed to be the best qualitatively speaking. Only way to know is to test in your own system, hi-fi is always full of surprises as you know.  Wink

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

This is indeed surprising. If you remember when I tested N1Z vs X100L vs Aries, I initially used the Aries with digital coax then later swapped to USB which was a lightyear ahead of coax. However I was expecting AES/EBU to sound at least on par with USB if not better

Dubai, UAE