Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers
@Delija

You said "Nope. The perception of "stereo" bass comes from upper harmonics. It's really very easy to test this - turn off one of your subwoofers, and the bass will still be "stereo"."

I did say that the cues for stereo localisation occurred at frequencies above 80 Hz. When I said I could, on a very few occasions, identify low frequencies as coming from one sub it was not because of the upper harmonics, it was because of a single low frequency peak which was significantly louder than the sound coming from the speakers or from the other identical sub which is in a different location, actually close to a speaker, with the subs running in mono. Normally, even with loud LFE effects in the bass frequencies, the source of the bass does not appear to come from the sub. If it were a problem due to vibration of the sub's housing producing higher frequencies I should notice it with both subs since they're identical and I don't notice the other sub. The other sub is closer to a shelving unit with various objects upon it which are occasionally excited into vibration which is easily identified. What I'm talking about is a strong peak in volume due to a room mode being excited because of the location of that particular sub. In the end I moved it a couple of feet to a location where it does not load the room mode in the same way and stopped noticing that behaviour. That would confirm my assertion that it is possible, under the right combination of circumstances, to identify the location of a sub because if the cause of the behaviour was as you suggested moving the sub to a different location would not have eliminated the problem.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by Atomjohan - 03-Aug-2020, 20:32
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by Delija - 03-Aug-2020, 23:20
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by David A - 04-Aug-2020, 01:37
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by Delija - 04-Aug-2020, 02:29
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by David A - 04-Aug-2020, 05:23
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by Delija - 04-Aug-2020, 12:09
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by David A - 04-Aug-2020, 13:11
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by Delija - 04-Aug-2020, 13:20
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by David A - 04-Aug-2020, 21:12
RE: Dual Velodyne DD+ subwoofers - by Delija - 04-Aug-2020, 21:21