Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room analysis software
(06-Feb-2015, 18:03)Confused Wrote: looking at last weekend's graph (Post #5 above.) It would appear that the bass in the 40 - 50hz region is some 25dB louder than the rest of the frequency range, making bass in this region appear to be over 4 times louder.  (an increase of 10 dB sounds twice loud to the human ear)  Can this be true?  It does not actually sound like the low bass is 4 times louder than it should be?

I wondered about that when you posted your results.  Was the microphone close to a rear wall, by any chance?  I understand that would tend to boost bass frequencies (there's a helpful article about this effect here).

Anyway, I think the key words in your question are "louder than it should be".  I suppose it depends what you regard as the expected loudness - what you're already used to, or flat response, or something else?  For example, when I installed my Anti-Mode, the instructions (yes, I actually read them!) were at pains to point out that having a flat in-room bass response often sounds a bit "bass light" since people are generally used to hearing bass augmented by room effects.  After a while one's ears and/or brain do tend to recalibrate a bit so the flatter response now sounds "normal" to me.

I hope you have a fun week-end - and look forward to hearing how you get on...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK