Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet with Focal 1028 BE
Is there anyone who uses this combination? If so, could you put few words on the sound with and without SAM enabled?

I plan on getting Devialet 120 and pair it with 1028. Would this be enough power for those speakers i.e. will there be enough head room for the amp?
I usually listen between 80-95dB measured from my listening position (5m from speakers).
I run 1028BEs.

SAM made enough of a difference that I removed the subs from my setup. Sweep tones clearly show the 1028BEs producing content that wasn't there with SAM off.

I have no idea how the 120 would power 1028BEs, I have a 200. I wanted the more advanced phono preamp and the option to move to a 400 some day so the 200 was the best choice. I'd consider it as well if I was you. It's a small upgrade up front that gives you more options down the road.
Well that's way out of my range. I initially planned on getting something in the $5k range, but could stretch it ot $6.5 in few more months (D120).
D400, I will see this configuration only in pictures I'am afraid. ;-)

Thanks for the comments, though.

In my opinion 120W/6 Ohm per channel should be enough for my type of listening. I just don't want to go too close to the maximum power of the amplifier.
Maybe it would be safe enough to set it to 100W in the configurator and live with what it provides. From what I've read Focals are easy to drive, but not sure if SAM changes anything in this aspect.
(05-Feb-2015, 20:15)mirekti Wrote: Well that's way out of my range. I initially planned on getting something in the $5k range, but could stretch it ot $6.5 in few more months (D120).
D400, I will see this configuration only in pictures I'am afraid. ;-)

Thanks for the comments, though.

In my opinion 120W/6 Ohm per channel should be enough for my type of listening. I just don't want to go too close to the maximum power of the amplifier.
Maybe it would be safe enough to set it to 100W in the configurator and live with what it provides. From what I've read Focals are easy to drive, but not sure if SAM changes anything in this aspect.

Focals are rather efficient but I don't know if they are easy to drive as they can drop down to 3.5 ohms depending on content.  I've seen comments of easy and also not easy to drive.

Why not a used D200, same price as a new D120?
Hm, if the warranty is transferable I don't see a reason why not to buy a used one.
Can anyone tell me what is the low frequency response of Focals with the SAM activated? Without SAM enabled it is 34Hz-40kHz.
I wish Devialet published some graphs along with the supported speakers in SAM.
(06-Feb-2015, 02:09)mirekti Wrote: Hm, if the warranty is transferable I don't see a reason why not to buy a used one.
Can anyone tell me what is the low frequency response of Focals with the SAM activated? Without SAM enabled it is 34Hz-40kHz.

I can hear the back of my room rattling at mid 20hz.  Without SAM i couldn't.

I ran some sweep tests before and after.
(06-Feb-2015, 02:09)mirekti Wrote: Hm, if the warranty is transferable I don't see a reason why not to buy a used one.

Hello mirekti,
there is no graph at the moment, but if you click on 1028 BE speakers on the SAM page, you can see :
38,2 Hz without SAM, 23 Hz with SAM.
I have Focal Diva Utopia and I'm quite satisfied with SAM (Devialet announces 30,8 Hz without SAM, 18,2 Hz with SAM).
Their laboratory borrowed my own speakers to adjust SAM processing, so I hope that the bass correction is the right one Blush .
  Best regards,
Sylvain
Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France
Thanks for all the info. I got some quite useful information here.
There's one thing left. My room is 30 sqm, and usually I listen to the music at some 80-90db from my listening position. Would D120 work for this? What would you say the power level for this requirement will be, 60%, 80% of max volume?
(07-Feb-2015, 18:29)mirekti Wrote: Thanks for all the info. I got some quite useful information here.
There's one thing left. My room is 30 sqm, and usually I listen to the music at some 80-90db from my listening position. Would D120 work for this? What would you say the power level for this requirement will be, 60%, 80% of max volume?

The sensivity of your speakers is 91.5 dB (2.83 V / 1 m). So I don't think you will be near of the max volume! Of course if you could have a demo with your speakers, a Devialet 120 and others amplifiers, it would be the best solution for you. I had this opportunity (my amplifier was a YBA intégré 100). I could compare this amplifier with a Devialet 170 and a 240 (it was not 200 and 250 yet). I choosed the 240 not because it was more powerful, but because I was seduced by the sound of the 240.
 I hope you can have this opportunity too.
Sylvain
Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France