Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Devialet 120 drive KEF 203/2 Reference
(06-Feb-2015, 17:54)jjo Wrote:
(06-Feb-2015, 13:25)Jnan_devi Wrote: So I still dont get it why would some one do that ? Does this answer the D120 can drive KEF 203/2 ?. I m on budget hence asking this.

The reason I've limited the maximum power has to do with the sensitivity of the speakers and the minor flaw in Devialet. When listening to music on a (too) low volume, Devilaet loses some of it's sparkle. With sensitive speakers the volume gets pretty loud pretty fast so my normal listening volume was on the "less sparkle" range. By limiting the maximum power I can turn up the volume and the magic is there without the sound pressure getting uncomfortable.

I would assume D120 drives KEF Ref 203/2 just fine. I auditioned both the speakers and they behaved quite similarly with the amp I was using them with. I think Devialet is a good amplifier for the Reference 20x/2 series.

Interesting, I'm going to play around with this.

I wonder how it affects preamp bypass mode for the analog feed from my multi-channel receiver.
I thought that the option just limits the maximum power output of the amplifier section. jjo's comment seems to suggest that it also alters the power delivery using the volume control. Is this true? I am a bit confused.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
(06-Feb-2015, 18:51)Jayr Wrote: I thought that the option just limits the maximum power output of the amplifier section. jjo's comment seems to suggest that it also alters the power delivery using the volume control. Is this true? I am a bit confused.

I assume less digital attenuation having the digital preamp volume higher to get the same output volume.
(06-Feb-2015, 03:21)Jayr Wrote: Looking at the specs of the Ref203/2, the speaker seems to be reasonably efficient and the impedance stays above 3.2 ohms. 50 watts recommended.

I don't think the Devialet 120 will have any issues driving the speakers. You need to demo it with your speakers to see if it is a good match. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised with the devialet 120. Good luck.

I am using a D200 with my 201/2 (with SAM) and I have plenty of headroom.
When I bought the speakers it was the idea that a subwoofer could be added later.
With SAM I can save the money.
I agree Devialet is a good amplifier for the Reference 20x/2 series.
D200 - Kef 201/2 - Kimber 8tc - Bluesound node - Linn LP 12
If I were you I would consider some room treatments as well.
Mac Mini ->iTunes/Amarra->AudioQuest Diamond USB->D120->Supra Sword Speaker Cables->KEF LS-50
Thanks jjo. This is educational for me. In the picture you can see i have RA1570 (going crazy with decision making for upgrade) driving KEF 203/2. Obviously I have similar issues with low volume + this (RA1570) one needs to warm up for at least 30mins. By then my daily evening quota of listening gets done (reading news paper or novel etc).

Heard by local dealer, that Devialets dont need warming time ? or its less time needed ? Any thoughts?
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(06-Feb-2015, 22:50)audiophile911 Wrote: If I were you I would consider some room treatments as well.

Correct. Just replaced my previous system.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
(07-Feb-2015, 01:29)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks jjo. This is educational for me. In the picture you can see i have RA1570 (going crazy with decision making for upgrade) driving KEF 203/2. Obviously I have similar issues with low volume + this (RA1570) one needs to warm up for at least 30mins. By then my daily evening quota of listening gets done (reading news paper or novel etc).

Heard by local dealer, that Devialets dont need warming time ? or its less time needed ? Any thoughts?

I work away from home so my D200 isn't always on. When I come home after a few weeks I find it sounds much more relaxed on the second night. I can't say whether this is because of the D200 or the Mac Mini. I leave them both on as much as possible when I'm home.

According to Jim Smith (Get Better Sound) you should always make sure a DAC or anything digital has been on for 24 hours before evaluating it. He might have a point although I'm not sure whether that woud apply to Devialet as the DAC sits inside the same chassis as the amp and warms up quite quickly. Anyway, for the few Watts it uses I'm not going to make a big deal out of it and just keep it on. I'll save the planet by driving less and walking more Wink 
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(07-Feb-2015, 08:39)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(07-Feb-2015, 01:29)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks jjo. This is educational for me. In the picture you can see i have RA1570 (going crazy with decision making for upgrade) driving KEF 203/2. Obviously I have similar issues with low volume + this (RA1570) one needs to warm up for at least 30mins. By then my daily evening quota of listening gets done (reading news paper or novel etc).

Anyway, for the few Watts it uses I'm not going to make a big deal out of it and just keep it on. I'll save the planet by driving less and walking more Wink 

Wink Yes i would leave this warming business here. Main topic is still ON. My KEFs are still not SAM ready. maybe i can still go ahead with D120 and then use something which is close enough specs to KEF 203 (maybe a B&W 804) - Stupid ? or use it without SAM enabled until they get my speaker model SAM ready.
(07-Feb-2015, 08:52)Jnan_devi Wrote:
(07-Feb-2015, 08:39)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Anyway, for the few Watts it uses I'm not going to make a big deal out of it and just keep it on. I'll save the planet by driving less and walking more Wink 

Wink Yes i would leave this warming business here. Main topic is still ON. My KEFs are still not SAM ready. maybe i can still go ahead with D120 and then use something which is close enough specs to KEF 203 (maybe a B&W 804) - Stupid ? or use it without SAM enabled until they get my speaker model SAM ready.

No I wouldn't use a SAM profile for another speaker. It's designed around the 'faults' of the speaker and it's less than perfect time alignment. If you were to use a different SAM profile you will probably make it sound worse. 
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.