Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Routers for AIR Ethernet
My router has just packed up.  It is nothing more than the standard item that comes with Virgin broadband.  I use AIR Ethernet, and it strikes me that it might be an idea to buy a better quality router?  I have had one or two issues both with AIR and wifi, and then the router, which is only three months old, has packed up completely.  Hence I'm thinking something a bit better quality might be a good idea.  Any suggestions?  Needs to be 5G and cable compatible.
(07-Feb-2015, 15:49)Confused Wrote: My router has just packed up.  It is nothing more than the standard item that comes with Virgin broadband.  I use AIR Ethernet, and it strikes me that it might be an idea to buy a better quality router?  I have had one or two issues both with AIR and wifi, and then the router, which is only three months old, has packed up completely.  Hence I'm thinking something a bit better quality might be a good idea.  Any suggestions?  Needs to be 5G and cable compatible.

I recommend a Draytek Vigor2860, I think it comes in a number of versions giving you 2.4 and 5 GHz.

As far as I understand it's one of the best out there and works really well with UPnP for instance.

I run my wired ethernet network through it - so from NAS to Draytek to switch to totaldac. It sits in my study which is adjacent to my listening room. I previously had the standard BT Hub thing which was very flaky and actually after putting the Draytek in I noticed an improvement in SQ.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I've also just switched from the standard BT to a Draytek Vigor (the 2760). They have a very good reputation in the trade. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's improved the sound of my system though ... 
Angel
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(07-Feb-2015, 16:47)Jwg1749 Wrote: I've also just switched from the standard BT to a Draytek Vigor (the 2760). They have a very good reputation in the trade. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's improved the sound of my system though ... 
Angel
Matt

Right... (Matt to self: they're blooming bonkers that lot!)

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I use the Linksys AC1900 and it works perfectly well with Air WiFi and offers plethora of other functions / features including 2.4 and 5 GHz and acting as a UPnP and media server

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Am I correct thinking that I'll still need to use the Virgin Media supplied router as a modem for the cable internet feed?
Confused - yes you would. Most modem/routers will have the capability to hook into a separate modem such as Virgin Media's. I got a TP-Link modem/router to do exactly this because the Virgin-supplied cable modem/router didn't have very good wi-fi and the capabilities weren't very sophisticated.
I also have Virgin broadband with their Superhub configured to use an external router which is an Apple AirPort Extreme which works at 5 and 2.4 GHz and sounds nice to my ears.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(07-Feb-2015, 16:50)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Feb-2015, 16:47)Jwg1749 Wrote: I've also just switched from the standard BT to a Draytek Vigor (the 2760). They have a very good reputation in the trade. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's improved the sound of my system though ... 
Angel
Matt

Right... (Matt to self: they're blooming bonkers that lot!)

Guillaume

Sir, you have a wonderful way with words.
Cool

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London