Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS Config (Synology)
All:

Has anyone played with modifying the NAS? Have read from different reports that SSDs can make the system sounds better (likely due to spinning of disc creates 'distortion').  anyone tried putting nicer feets, add damping materials, linear power supply or making the NAS fanless?
The data is read by a computer running software which puts the data in a buffer (memory) from where it's played.
I highly doubt putting your NAS on special feet will improve sound quality.
Nor will the use of SSD's instead of HDD's will make any difference.
Devialet 200 | Marten Django L | Modified Philips CD940 | Technics SL1210 Mk2
I use Herbie's Tenderfeet under my NAS and FEEL that it has help the sound a bit. I had a spare set and tried them, they are still under the NAS. Smile
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I suppose you could say I've done a couple of things to enhance my QNAP NAS...

1) Plugged the external power supply into an Isotek EVO3 SIRIUS which is a bi-directional mains filter

2) Connected the NAS to an Entreq Silver Minimus ground box, via an RJ45 ground cable

I have thought about using a linear power supply but just haven't got round to it.

The Entreq was probably the biggest surprise and seemed to have quite a big effect on the sound. Why is a complete mystery but I know of many others that have done the same with similar results. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Has anyone done tried this ? how is the quality ? and what app to use?

Found this here : https://help.devialet.com/entries/236970...from-a-NAS

Connect your Devialet using a USB 2.0 output
Many NAS or Audio Server are equiped with a USB output. Just connect to the USB input on the Devialet and play your music just as with a UPnP protocol. This solution allows you to listen to what's on the NAS without a computer using any dedicated app on an iPad or Smartphone.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"