Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mono & Stereo
(12-Feb-2015, 19:16)Damon Wrote: I'm not adverse to reading reviews that are not enthusiastic about the Devialet. I think most would agree that different persons have different preferences for audio reproduction, the ride qualities of cars, the correct level of 'al dente' for pasta, and so on. But the Mono & Stereo piece is not a review at all. It is, as PhilP suggests, worthless beyond being a poorly-written opinion.  It has no objective content, and even the opinions are completely unsupported.

I would say that the number of members here who have chosen to move to Devialet from many other brands, often worth much more money, is a more valid 'review' of the product line. As well, we have two local Devialet dealers, and the staff in both locations have been quite candid about their admiration for the sound quality. Certainly I trust my own ears in this regard, and I'm convinced.

Finally, I tire of comments about Devialet being a 'lifestyle' product. It is beautiful design, but very few would spend thousands of euros/ pounds/ dollars on something that is shinny, and has only one glowing light. If it didn't sound superb, I doubt it would sell to customers who love music and care about its reproduction. Whether it is hi-fi or 'truly hi-end' is even more vague than standards for cooking pasta. And if our mystery writer felt that was an important distinction, a definition would be useful. 

I'm actually very interested to read valid, informed reviews of Devialet that identify shortcomings or discuss the compromises of the product. The post from M&S doesn't contain anything that makes it a competent review. The grammar and syntax are abysmal as well.

So I take it you didn't like it then?  Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Go Damon Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(12-Feb-2015, 13:46)Sobert Wrote: http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/02/dev...n.html?m=1

He can't even be bothered to get ADH right, and his use of English is dreadful.  This isn't a review - it's a stream of grammatically and syntactically incorrect prose.  What I've learned from this "review" .....is to stay off drugs .....

Like other comments, I'd welcome serious critical review of the Devialet so I'm not averse to criticism of my chosen amp.  This isn't it.  

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
I agree - it's a hopeless review in terms of use of English, meaningless comparisons between hi-fi and high-end (whatever the difference is), no comparatives and no music content.

A good critical review of Devialet would recognise the prevailing product faults, as posted about on this site, the inappropriate communication stuff, the delays with Phantom and Dialog, and no doubt other stuff.

There is therefore plenty to moan about, and grounds to compare and contrast the Devialet sound with competitors like Constellation, Audio Research, ... but I bet the M&S guy can't get his hands on the stuff.

The best part of the review was the acronym which might parallel the decline of the other user of that.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
The "review" is being discussed on M&S's facebook page. The reviewer is Matej Isak.
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
I've always thought that the Devialet is more devolution than revolution. (Stick another one in here barman)
Guillaume: no, I didn't think there is much to be complimentary about. Well, perhaps the pictures.... no, even the pictures looked like screen shots. I even read the article again; it does not improve with repeated reading. I wonder if M&S has an actual editor?

ZincAlloy and IanG-UK summarize it nicely. We all are interested in the product, and credible reviews that are critical of a product can be a bit of motivation to a company to improve its products or delivery. Well, one hopes. Just as we hope that the connectivity and configuration issues that are discussed here will be attended to by Devialet.

I am genuine about being open to good criticism; I'm getting close to a D120 purchase, so for me, if there is a better product, or a worthy competitor at that price point. I'm all ears. And I hate crappy writing.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
It's not a review.

M&S's website lists it as an article.
This is why ONE MAN audio web pages are so shitty...

This guy says:

By the end of the day many people will be and are happy with the choice. But in the critical world of high-end audio, I strongly feel that the lines should be drawn and references clearly stated.

Who is going to decide about references? HE????? C'mon...

First IMPROVE Your English skills to reference level Mr. ISAK:-)
(12-Feb-2015, 23:22)Damon Wrote: I am genuine about being open to good criticism; I'm getting close to a D120 purchase, so for me, if there is a better product, or a worthy competitor at that price point. 

NO there is not any...in new products range...
But there are some in sh super bargain market;-)