Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Dialog not compatible with expert line until mid 2015
Bad news for all who've ordered a Dialog to connect to you Expert Devialet.

Yesterday the following sentence was added to the Dialog description page:
DIALOG is ready for PHANTOM and will come mid-2015 to DEVIALET EXPERT amplifiers.

I've send a question to Devialet: Can I, or can I not use the Dialog with my Devialet 200 when it will be delivered on March 30th?

The response was:
Quote:Indeed Dialog will be compatible with our expert products around mid 2015 (not March).

We were hopping to deliver this compatibility sooner, but we also really want to provide a relevant tool for you. Delivering the compatibility in March may have created some software issues so we thought it would be best to improve the device again.

Disappointing. I'm not sure if I'm going to cancel my order, and order one when it's actually working with my 200
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I sent a similar query to Devialet earlier this morning, I asked about the new statement on their website and the previous statement that Dialog would initially work with the "Expert" range via USB. (Which was the reason why I took a punt and ordered one)

I just got a reply, which believe it or not, is word for word identical to Eddye's above. so until the Summer I will have a 300 Euro plastic ornament..... And that's assuming that they actually sort out "Expert" compatibility by mid 2015, I am not that confident in Devialet keeping to any kind of schedule with anything these days.
(13-Feb-2015, 10:30)Confused Wrote: I sent a similar query to Devialet earlier this morning, I asked about the new statement on their website and the previous statement that Dialog would initially work with the "Expert" range via USB.  (Which was the reason why I took a punt and ordered one)

I just got a reply, which believe it or not, is word for word identical to Eddye's above.  so until the Summer I will have a 300 Euro plastic ornament.....  And that's assuming that they actually sort out "Expert" compatibility by mid 2015, I am not that confident in Devialet keeping to any kind of schedule with anything these days.

So I wonder which will come first: the AIR "fix" or Dialog compatibility for the Expert range?  Confused

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
That is very disappointing; I'm sorry for you, Eddye, and others in your position.

I recall a few people on this forum being advised to use a Dialog to work round problems with AIR.  So presumably they now have to wait another four months, possibly more, for a reliable wireless streaming solution?

If I were in that position, I'd be asking my dealer to put pressure on Devialet to devote some serious engineering effort to sorting out the known problems with the Expert range, pronto.  Dialog is not a solution to that, it's a work-around at best -- although of course some people might want to add it to their systems to give more flexibility, it should not be required to make the Expert range do what it was originally claimed to do.

It seems to me that Devialet are in danger of squandering any remaining goodwill from their early adopters; I really wonder whether they even care about that.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Well, I just canceled my order. When Devialet sorts the problems with the Expert line (I do hate that denomination) and the Dialog, I'll look into into buying one again.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I also sent an e-mail asking for more detailed information e.g. whether the hardware for the early Phantom Dialogs and later Expert range Dialogs will be the same. If they're not then I will cancel my order straight away.

If it will just be a s/w upgrade then I will have to take a view on it.

I can't understand why it should be so difficult to configure a USB port to send a signal to an Expert range amp?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Good point Guillaume! I was thinking this myself. The truth is, the main driver for me ordering a Dialog was that it would at least provide a short term fix for the white noise issue, and maybe, just maybe, it would prove to be rather good sound quality wise. So on that basis, if they fix AIR first then it's 300 Euro's down the drain! My next correspondence with Devialet will not be so polite! But I'm going to give that one some careful thought first, if I send one now it's likely to be very impolite indeed!

I am reminded of Quinten Sanne's recent interview where he mentioned the post Steve Job's iPhone 6 not being perfect. Well frankly, my iPhone 6 is rather splendid, and Devialet are looking like a bunch of clowns currently.
@PhilP: I thought about that too, but considering the fact I have a working system, I want something to replace it without the need for other workarounds. I can understand and deal with slightly buggy software if the device and software is brand new, but this is getting too long term, without any guarantees of it actually working mid-year.

The Netherlands
(13-Feb-2015, 10:45)Eddye Wrote: @PhilP: I thought about that too, but considering the fact I have a working system, I want something to replace it without the need for other workarounds. I can understand and deal with slightly buggy software if the device and software is brand new, but this is getting too long term, without any guarantees of it actually working mid-year.

Yes, its very frustrating but at least I have an old environment (10.6.8/2.1.2/7.1.1) that works with no white noise etc. which I mainly use for Qobuz.

I presume that they accepted your cancellation with no arguments?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(13-Feb-2015, 10:57)PhilP Wrote:
(13-Feb-2015, 10:45)Eddye Wrote: @PhilP: I thought about that too, but considering the fact I have a working system, I want something to replace it without the need for other workarounds. I can understand and deal with slightly buggy software if the device and software is brand new, but this is getting too long term, without any guarantees of it actually working mid-year.

Yes, its very frustrating but at least I have an old environment (10.6.8/2.1.2/7.1.1) that works with no white noise etc. which I mainly use for Qobuz.

I presume that they accepted your cancellation with no arguments?

Yes, no problem what so ever.

The Netherlands