Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB as output on 120?
Hello. I am a week into owning my Deviate 120 and love it. I have a question... in the Advanced Configurator, I notice I can set the USB port to "Pass Thru." I am wondering if that creates an output at the USB port that I could then feed to an external USB DAC/headphone amp? I'm trying to avoid getting the preamp output. I had read somewhere that users are digitizing vinyl by using their Devialet. Maybe they are using the USB as an output? Thanks!
You can use the USB port as an output when digitizing vinyl. You just follow the instructions in the tutorial document which you can find after you login to My Maison -> download firmware 7.1.1

I have never tried, but I think you can just select a different source than phono, so it can probably do what you want.

form the tutorial document:

Quote:The
Bi-directional USB
is a new exclusive
feature of your Devialet that allows you to digitalize any
formats from any sources (LP’s, Tuner etc.) through your Devialet.
Please, find bellow the process to follow on PC or MAC.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
"pass through" on the the usb would just bypass the preamp like it does on the other inputs. But my guess is that it does nothing at all.

It certainly wouldn't create an output that you could feed into something else as you are hoping.

Bi-directional USB support is on by default. But of course you need software on your PC to catch it the digital in.
Thanks for the replies.

Today I ran a USB cable from my 120 to my MacBook Pro. I selected the USB as input. It read it as a Deviate 120 and showed an signal. I did not run any software to record, nor was I able to hear anything. But again, I saw the input meters moving with the music.

I need a special USB cable to get it to work with my external DAC. So I ordered that today. Will see if hooking up the USB from my 120 to an external DAC works when I get the right cable (a B male to B male USB... hard to find) and I'll report back. But so far I am seeing a signal coming out of the 120.

Would be great if this works as with the 120, if you are using 3 of the RCA inputs, like I am (L/R stereo in from my phono pre, and 1 S/PDIF from my Sonos) you are only left with one remaining RCA out. So that pretty much makes getting stereo analog out with the preamp board impossible.
(14-Feb-2015, 17:51)TapeSonic Wrote: Thanks for the replies.

Today I ran a USB cable from my 120 to my MacBook Pro. I selected the USB as input. It read it as a Deviate 120 and showed an signal. I did not run any software to record, nor was I able to hear anything. But again, I saw the input meters moving with the music.

I need a special USB cable to get it to work with my external DAC. So I ordered that today. Will see if hooking up the USB from my 120 to an external DAC works when I get the right cable (a B male to B male USB... hard to find) and I'll report back. But so far I am seeing a signal coming out of the 120.

Would be great if this works as with the 120, if you are using 3 of the RCA inputs, like I am (L/R stereo in from my phono pre, and 1 S/PDIF from my Sonos) you are only left with one remaining RCA out. So that pretty much makes getting stereo analog out with the preamp board impossible.

Hello - just a word of warning: I'd be very surprised if you can simply connect a USB B-to-B cable between the Devialet and a DAC and get it to do anything useful.  As far as I'm aware, the Devialet is a USB peripheral device, whether it's acting as an audio source or a sink, and so is the DAC likely to be.  That's why they both have USB type B connectors.  The reason why a B-to-B cable is hard to find is that you very rarely if ever want to connect a USB peripheral device to another peripheral - rather a peripheral to a host, which requires an ordinary A-to-B cable.  

(Admittedly it all gets a bit more complicated when you're talking about On-The-Go, but I don't think either the Devialet or a typical DAC implement USB OTG.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks. You mention, "you very rarely if ever want to connect a USB peripheral device to another peripheral"

Any damage to the 120 (or external DAC) possible?
(14-Feb-2015, 19:01)TapeSonic Wrote: Thanks. You mention, "you very rarely if ever want to connect a USB peripheral device to another peripheral"

Any damage to the 120 (or external DAC) possible?

No, it shouldn't cause any damage.
Warwickshire, UK
Didn't work :-(

Maybe my DAC (and old Streamer+) could not handle the input. Maybe the new cable was not the answer. What I know is my computer saw a signal but would not translate that to audio out without software.

Would be great, esp for the 120, to have ANY unused port: rica, optical, USB... be a true digital or analog pass thru without needing to buy the preamp board. Especially with the 120, that only has 4 RCA jacks total.

For now, to listen to analogue thru my headphones, I'm splitting the signal at my phono preamp outs. It's not bad actually, going through less electronics: Table, cart, phono preamp, headphone preamp.
(18-Feb-2015, 13:34)TapeSonic Wrote: Didn't work :-(

Doesn't surprise me in the least, but: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

(18-Feb-2015, 13:34)TapeSonic Wrote: Maybe my DAC (and old Streamer+) could not handle the input. Maybe the new cable was not the answer.

As I said, the problem is that both the Devialet and the DAC are USB peripherals.  USB requires one "end" of the link to act as a host and one as a peripheral -- and they have to have both different hardware and different software to achieve this.  It's far more complicated than just connecting a cable with the right type of connectors; indeed the whole point of the different types of USB connectors is to make it difficult to connect together two hosts or two peripherals, since that's a combination that won't work in general.  (This is a bit of a simplification, forgetting about OTG.)

(18-Feb-2015, 13:34)TapeSonic Wrote: What I know is my computer saw a signal but would not translate that to audio out without software.

When you say "saw a signal" -- I think you said earlier that you saw "input meters moving with the music" -- that suggests the computer must have the appropriate drivers to act as a USB host and communicate with the Devialet audio peripheral device.  Translating that to audio output should then just be a matter of using suitable media player software and choosing the Devialet as an audio input device.  There are some instructions on Microsoft's web site that describe one way to do this.
Warwickshire, UK