Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best source...?
D250 with Atohm GT1 SE on Atacama HMS1.1.stands.
Very happy with the sound but have been having a lot of issues with my source (longstanding ones).

Mac Mini 2011 server with 256GB SSD for system, 500GB HD for music files. 16GB RAM OSX 10.9.5, Audirvana 2.0.9.
Airport express connected to internet via wifi and Mini and devialet connected to it with good quality ethernet cables.
Optical (wireworld supernova 6) and USB outputs from mini.

I have had longstanding issues with iTunes and Audirvana conflicting and throwing me out of my library. This happens both with Optical output and Devialet USB, and is really an iTunes/Audirvana issue. I'm not keen on iTunes on its own, and Audivarna in stand alone mode is too immature and lacks an iPad browser (i use 'remote' for this). So sounds good but a nuisance having to restart iTunes every 30 mins or so.

I had hoped to use the Devialet as a streamer, but AIR is broken on the Mac, when I can get it to work, it is full of crackling sounds, both on WiFi and ETH after about 20 mins playing.

So, in the absence of an upcoming fix for AIR, I'm wondering about adding a streamer/renderer into the system to feed the AES/EBU input. I've seen some people use the Simaudio Moon MiND 180. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Obviously a 'working' AIR would be the cheapest solution.....
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(15-Feb-2015, 00:38)DelaneyB Wrote: D250 with Atohm GT1 SE on Atacama HMS1.1.stands.
Very happy with the sound but have been having a lot of issues with my source (longstanding ones).

Mac Mini 2011 server with 256GB SSD for system, 500GB HD for music files. 16GB RAM OSX 10.9.5, Audirvana 2.0.9.
Airport express connected to internet via wifi and Mini and devialet connected to it with good quality ethernet cables.
Optical (wireworld supernova 6) and USB outputs from mini.

I have had longstanding issues with iTunes and Audirvana conflicting and throwing me out of my library. This happens both with Optical output and Devialet USB, and is really an iTunes/Audirvana issue. I'm not keen on iTunes on its own, and Audivarna in stand alone mode is too immature and lacks an iPad browser (i use 'remote' for this). So sounds good but a nuisance having to restart iTunes every 30 mins or so.

I had hoped to use the Devialet as a streamer, but AIR is broken on the Mac, when I can get it to work, it is full of crackling sounds, both on WiFi and ETH after about 20 mins playing.

So, in the absence of an upcoming fix for AIR, I'm wondering about adding a streamer/renderer into the system to feed the AES/EBU input. I've seen some people use the Simaudio Moon MiND 180. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Obviously a 'working' AIR would be the cheapest solution.....

Why do you complicate matters by inserting Audirvana in the sound-stream? Why not being as pure as possible? iTunes will work with AIR without any problem via ETH. That would be the connection of choice between your MMini and the D250. I have the same setup as you (with OS 10.8.5, OS 10.9.5, iTunes 12.1 or earlier) and there is no flaw whatsoever (neither after 20 minutes, nor after 10 hours). 

If you are using Audirvana to upsample, think twice if that really makes sense instead of letting the D250 do the upsampling. AIR WiFi is plagued by interfering neighbouring networks and purity of signal. 

Brendan,

There is an excellent thread in which the merits of the Moon MiND and other sources are discussed in detail here :

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mac-AIR-v...-d1-server

I understand that both Guillaume and Rufus both own MiNDs (or should that be have minds of their own Wink ) and may comment further.

Good luck,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
We both had MiNDs. Guillaume got one first and I was bowled over by it so got one myself. It's not necessarily the most detailed & transparent player but makes great music. Like most hi-fi it's let down by the software. I didn't like the iPad control app at all and used another UPnP one but their implementation isn't true UPnP (and not Openhome) so it was a bit problematic. It also only really sang when using a really good cable to connect to Devialet. That said I preferred it to the Aries from a sound quality perspective, though the Aries was not a long-term listen so perhaps a bit unfair.
I'm intrigued by the 3D Labs Nano which is only a little bit more expensive than the MiND but from all the reviews I've read it seems like it could be pretty good. It's just not that easy to get my hands on one.
The totaldac d1-server is extraordinary - in a different league, but also price-wise unfortunately Sad
I too am interested in the 3D Lab Nano, but there is very little information on this device in the UK, or indeed very little information that is not written in French. Looks like they might need a UK distributor?
I just ordered an Antipodes. I may get TotalDac later, but this was half the price and looks very promising. Will report when I receive it.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(15-Feb-2015, 14:45)AaronG Wrote: I just ordered an Antipodes. I may get  TotalDac later, but this was half the price and looks very promising. Will report when I receive it.

That does look like a very interesting product! I look forward to reading your report.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(15-Feb-2015, 13:20)Confused Wrote: I too am interested in the 3D Lab Nano, but there is very little information on this device in the UK, or indeed very little information that is not written in French.  Looks like they might need a UK distributor?

Hi Confused have you tried to make contact with 3D Labs or any of their French retailers? I really do think someone needs to take this for a test drive. To say that people are raving about this product across the channel would be an understatement. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I'm very curious. These features and that it's USB centric suggest it may be a good match for the Devialet. Plus the fact that the guy who makes it will log into your system and fix stuff for you.

- Fanless, silent operation
- Digital signal re-clocking and extensive noise filtering
- Reference level internal linear regulated power supplies,one for the USB audio card (out-performs batteries), and a second running everything else (no smps).
- Internal music storage HDD options of 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB, plus internal RAID options.
- External music storage via USB, eSata or connected to a NAS.
- Plays all music file types (unless DRM protected) to your USB DAC:
- PCM files up to 32bit/384kHz
- DSD64 & DSD128 (Double DSD) music files using DoP.
- Output via USB using SOtM PCI to USB interface.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Thanks
Very helpful.
I've discovered if i switch off everything on A+ and restart iTunes it plays fine over AIR ETH, but every 30 mins of so it stops briefly. I'll switch off the wifi and see if that helps.
With A+ back on with most of the options unchecked I also find a strange 'mix' with some minor instruments pushed forward, as in the extensive discussion linked above.
So all good for now.
Might have a play with a Moon MiND if one comes up used.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus