Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best source...?
Hi again! Setup my 120 and find the same audio issues after about 10-15 minutes over ETH. It seems to happen more with 24/96 tracks. I also use Audirvana+ and iTunes. Not too fussed though since using USB for now which sounds excellent and near enough to ETH that I don't notice much difference.

I have the Schiit Wyrd (In case you haven't heard of them Schiit is a new company led by some ex-Theta Digital guys and is pretty highly regarded). The Wyrd seems to improve USB audio quality (maybe!) and is available from ElectroMod. God knows what it does but the story behind it was compelling enough that I bought one.

If I wasn't so entrenched with iTunes I'd personally switch to in my opinion one of the better media players on the market - the Bryston BDP-2.

They've come out with a cheaper USB only version which is discussed on this forum here.

The BDP-1 which is basically a slower version of it but with the same great audio quality often pops up on ebay for a about £1k.

Bryston are a top notch company, been around decades and their player is one of the few which seems to have a half reasonable user interface and doesn't require the user to be a systems integrator!
Hi,
Try switching off ALL the integrated, direct and system optimisation modes in A+, then close it.
restart iTunes
Under AIR settings click the padlock to open advanced settings and set the buffer to 2000 or 3000.
It seems to have solved my issues with stopping and breaking up...

I'll look at the BDP-1.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(15-Feb-2015, 16:16)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(15-Feb-2015, 13:20)Confused Wrote: I too am interested in the 3D Lab Nano, but there is very little information on this device in the UK, or indeed very little information that is not written in French.  Looks like they might need a UK distributor?

Hi Confused have you tried to make contact with 3D Labs or any of their French retailers? I really do think someone needs to take this for a test drive. To say that people are raving about this product across the channel would be an understatement. 

Guillaume

I think my interest is perhaps rather too casual at the moment.  Buying some sort of "streaming bridge" is very much on my to do list, but I fear that the product that would have me splashing the cash possibly does not exist at the moment, however, I am quietly looking around to see if perhaps it is out there.  At the moment, most folk appear to be interested in sound quality, which of course I am, and also integration of streaming services, Qobuz etc, which I am not.  I think my dream product would have AIR beating sound quality and in terms of functionality would do most of what iTunes does.  Specifically, to be able to allow individual tracks to be rated, sorted by rating etc.  Something that could read iTunes metadata without too much hassle would be perfect.  Does such a machine exist?  Not that I am aware of.  But I am happily looking around at what's out there, plus it appears to be a fast developing  area.  I realise that very few people will want what I am looking for, but there you go, I guess I'll be sticking with AIR for a while.  I'd love to take my PC out of the audio chain, but you can't have everything.  I think my point re the 3D Labs is that it has caught my interest with respect to sound quality / price, but I would want to know a lot more about functionality before trying to organise a home demo or similar.
Still having drop outs on my AIR ETH set up. even swapped routers. No help. Gone back to USB, but it doesnt sound as good....

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

(17-Feb-2015, 23:48)Confused Wrote:
(15-Feb-2015, 16:16)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(15-Feb-2015, 13:20)Confused Wrote: I too am interested in the 3D Lab Nano, but there is very little information on this device in the UK, or indeed very little information that is not written in French.  Looks like they might need a UK distributor?

Hi Confused have you tried to make contact with 3D Labs or any of their French retailers? I really do think someone needs to take this for a test drive. To say that people are raving about this product across the channel would be an understatement. 

Guillaume

I think my interest is perhaps rather too casual at the moment.  Buying some sort of "streaming bridge" is very much on my to do list, but I fear that the product that would have me splashing the cash possibly does not exist at the moment, however, I am quietly looking around to see if perhaps it is out there.  At the moment, most folk appear to be interested in sound quality, which of course I am, and also integration of streaming services, Qobuz etc, which I am not.  I think my dream product would have AIR beating sound quality and in terms of functionality would do most of what iTunes does.  Specifically, to be able to allow individual tracks to be rated, sorted by rating etc.  Something that could read iTunes metadata without too much hassle would be perfect.  Does such a machine exist?  Not that I am aware of.  But I am happily looking around at what's out there, plus it appears to be a fast developing  area.  I realise that very few people will want what I am looking for, but there you go, I guess I'll be sticking with AIR for a while.  I'd love to take my PC out of the audio chain, but you can't have everything.  I think my point re the 3D Labs is that it has caught my interest with respect to sound quality / price, but I would want to know a lot more about functionality before trying to organise a home demo or similar.

Just posted some new info re the Nano here. Hope to have an update very soon!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Sourced a Moon Mind 180 with a AQ Coffee AES used. Will report back.

Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

The difference between the Antipodes and a Mac running A+ is rather shocking. Totally different presentation. Will report back anon.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(20-Feb-2015, 15:16)AaronG Wrote: The difference between the Antipodes and a Mac running A+ is rather shocking. Totally different presentation. Will report back anon.

Now that I'm very interested in hearing about.  Smile

Were you using A+ and AIR before? With wired ethernet?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Both A+ and Air, and USB with the TotalDac USB Cable. I will report back once I've given a thorough listen, but the difference in detail is quite shocking. I actually didn't recognize some of my recordings.

I would say that the difference between running A+ on a Mac and the Antipodes is greater than the difference was between my TACT and the Devialet. It's enormous in every way. Much greater dynamics and perception of micro-dynamics. For example I was just listening to Goon Gumpas by Aphex Twin and there's a subtle but beautiful swell in the strings I'd never heard before. And loads and loads more detail. All instruments can be made out, and many I hadn't heard before. It's a bit like moving from a syrupy older tube amp to a Pass or something like that. The sounds is dethickened but not thinned if that makes sense. Finally everything sounds much more natural, in particular voices. I'm completely gobsmacked. I find it bizarre that a streamer could make so much difference. It's obviously a testament to the Devialet as well (and to my wonderful speakers) that all of this can be heard so clearly. Craziness. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard it myself.