Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best source...?
(22-Feb-2015, 03:09)AaronG Wrote: I would say that the difference between running A+ on a Mac and the Antipodes is greater than the difference was between my TACT and the Devialet. It's enormous in every way. Much greater dynamics and perception of micro-dynamics. For example I was just listening to Goon Gumpas by Aphex Twin and there's a subtle but beautiful swell in the strings I'd never heard before. And loads and loads more detail. All instruments can be made out, and many I hadn't heard before.  It's a bit like moving from a syrupy older tube amp to a Pass or something like that. The sounds is dethickened but not thinned if that makes sense. Finally everything sounds much more natural, in particular voices. I'm completely gobsmacked. I find it bizarre that a streamer could make so much difference. It's obviously a testament to the Devialet as well (and to my wonderful speakers) that all of this can be heard so clearly. Craziness. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard it myself.

Hi AaronG, thanks for sharing this.  Smile

Could you clarify which Antipodes Model you are using?

Also can you clarify exactly what Mac setup you were using... You mentioned Audirvana Plus, was this used with AIR? If so what was the network configuration, cables used etc

In fact it would be great if you created a new thread in "My Systems" with pictures etc as I'm sure many on here would be very interested in learning more about your experiences. 

Cheers

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks Guillaume! I'll start a new thread on the Antipodes.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Another Antipodes user here - DX with 2TB of SS memory.

In my system it replaced a Vortexbox appliance and a SBT . This set-up was actually very impressive especially considering the relatively minimal cost but the VB appliance was quite noisy with fans and spinning hard drives.

It is basically a dead quiet audiophile optimized Vortexbox appliance with only USB (either powered or unpowered) output.

I can't compare to the other usual suspects but the DX is a considerable step up from the VB/SBT.

Mark Jenkins is a real gentleman and has been quick to respond to calls of help on the 2 occasions that it has been required. He was also quick to provide the fixes.

It looks a bit clunky sitting near my D200, but then it is far from alone in that regard.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
Gray, what's the rest of your system?

(22-Feb-2015, 14:44)AaronG Wrote: Gray, what's the rest of your system?

In a 4m x 4.5m room.
D200
Magico S1
Oppo 95
Antipodes DX
Nice.

Thanks AaronG,
The Magico speakers are very suitable for that size of room.
System sings with the right recordings but unfortunately so many recordings are so poorly mastered.