Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will's system
Devialet 120, B&W 804D, Nordost Red Dawn Cables.  

This was my first hifi upgrade in about 20 years, and I relied heavily on the advice of my local hifi store - however, I am very happy with the results.

Digital music collection - both CD Rips and digital downloads on a WD MyCloud device, with a Toshiba laptop - this is in another room.

A very simple system!

I currently use iTunes and stream Qobuz.  I have tried JRivers following discussion on this forum - but I have had problems with this software as it never fully and correctly indexes my collection - so continue to use iTunes from convenience and simplicity.  (I have a large digital music collection - mostly classical of nearly 100,000 "songs").  I use my iPad "remote" app to select music.  However, I have to use the laptop directly, if I want to stream from Qobuz.  I am hoping that that future developments will mean that I no longer need a laptop running to play music.  For more casual listening in the main living room, I have a Bluesound node connected to a Primare amp and B&W 683 S2 speakers.  While Bluesound is not problem free - the app integrates all the music sources - stored and streaming - and you don't need a laptop running.   Hopefully, Devialet is watching!
If you have installed the Qobuz desktop app on your laptop you could install and use the Splashtop app on your iPad to get a remote access to your laptop and the Qobuz desktop app. It's a bit cumbersome but it's doing the job for me. My Windows HTPC is connected with my Dev via the Air streamer. No White Noise issues here luckily. 

I'm quite sure Qobuz sounds way better via the desktop app and Air streamer then via a Bluesound Node. I had both systems in a shootout on a Dutch forum last year. The Devialet Air streamer was an undeniable winner for me and other listeners. 
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Thank you for your suggestion shich I will try.  

I agree with your point about the Bluesound Node.  I tried it connected to the Devialet - but did not like the sound and went back to laptop and the Devialet air streamer.
Thank you again Charlemagne!  I have installed the splashtop app - and it works perfectly.  I will now no longer need to move my laptop to my listening room if I want to listen to Qobuz on my main system.
(16-Feb-2015, 00:04)Will Wrote: Thank you again Charlemagne!  I have installed the splashtop app - and it works perfectly.  I will now no longer need to move my laptop to my listening room if I want to listen to Qobuz on my main system.

You're wellcome, Will, that's what the forum is for. Splashtop is doing the job, albeit a bit slow. I do hope that Qobuz will develop there own Remote app for the iPad that could give you a direct acces to the Qobuz desktop app. Something like the Remote app for iTunes, or the JRemote app for JRiver. 

I also ordered a Dialog as a streaming bridge. I do hope Devialet will integrate Qobuz streaming on the Dialog and it's Spark app. I'll have to be patient though, as the Dialog is not yet ready to communicate with the D-series amps. 
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Just a warning: I'm no expert but was recently advised that if you use an app to control the desktop remotely then you should ensure that the firewall in your router is configured to block the relevant ports to prevent unauthorised access from others on the internet...

Perhaps someone more technically competent could advise on this?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(16-Feb-2015, 10:48)Charlemagne Wrote: ... I do hope that Qobuz will develop there own Remote app for the iPad that could give you a direct acces to the Qobuz desktop app. Something like the Remote app for iTunes, or the JRemote app for JRiver. 

I made that suggestion on the Qobuz site a few weeks ago.  It would be great if they do that and provide a long-term alternative to Dialog/Spark - just in case...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(16-Feb-2015, 11:35)PhilP Wrote: Just a warning: I'm no expert but was recently advised that if you use an app to control the desktop remotely then you should ensure that the firewall in your router is configured to block the relevant ports to prevent unauthorised access from others on the internet...

Perhaps someone more technically competent could advise on this?

As far as I do know Splashtop is only working on a home network. If you want to use via the internet from a distant location you will have to register and pay for the service. The use of Splashtop is allways with a username and password protected. 

Any suggestion about the safity of it's usage is very wellcome ofcourse. ChM 
Amsterdam NL
I have purchased Splashtop2 app for a few dollars.  The reviews that I have read say that it works much better than the original Splashtop (which I believe was available for free) and I have not found it to be slow.  Sometimes my external internet connection is slow - so the ability to play music from Qobuz that I have already downloaded to my laptop via the Splashtop app is an added advantage of this method of access.  

In terms of security, Splashtop claims that their latest version of Splashtop is secure - including remote access.  However, I am not in a position to verify this claim.