Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any feedback on Phanotom from Paris and/or London?
(22-Feb-2015, 05:05)philoouu Wrote: I would be really interested to hear how it sounds in surround (4 or 5 phantoms) and how it could be integrated later through Dialog box with the expert line to make a surround system (expert for the 2.0 and phantoms for the rest). This would transform a 2.0 system in a very nice surround system within the same technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty difficult with only 1 Phantom in a very crowded multi-manufacturer display room with lots of surrounding noise. In fact not to easy to tell anything except that the actual Phantom was a lot smaller than I imagined and didn't look as "strange" as I thought it would. In fact for something that looks in pictures so different and strange it actually looks very small and discreet in the flesh compared to a lot of high end gear.

I do agree though that the thought of a completely wireless system (surround or otherwise) does appeal but fairly certain some cable purveyors might disagree !!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(17-Feb-2015, 00:16)mixart Wrote: Man, I can't desire if I should go for Devialet Phantom Silver or Devialet Ensemble. I was not impressed by the bass of Ensemble, when I got a demo at home. I have just sold my B&W XT4 floor speaker, which were not a high-end speaker (cost €2750 for a pair) but I want to get rip of all cables and amplifiers. Maybe I should just be patient and wait the for Devialet Phantom Silver, which I order and ship at the end of march, but I can't ignore when many says, that Devialet 120/200 sounds much better with a decent loudspeaker, like the B&W speaker Ian talk about. I don't know what model it is but it doesn't look high-end.

I have bought the Devialet Ensemble and I have sold my Audio Physics Tempo for that (because I wanted to get get rip of big speakers and a lot of stuff), which are quite good speakers I´m still thinking. Not impressed by the bass ? In this point I can´t follow you. The bass in fact of this litte Athom speakers is great, sometimes even too much, my hole house is shaking. I like the Ensemble. Disappointing are the crackling noise problems with AIR.
I guess we will have to wait for some official review when those are paired in a stereo setup and placed in a better room.
I hope this will happen soon.
(23-Feb-2015, 18:39)mirekti Wrote: I guess we will have to wait for some official review when those are paired in a stereo setup and placed in a better room.
I hope this will happen soon.

Agreed. There's been so much hype about the Phantoms I'm really keen to read a proper review; something along the lines of the very comprehensive 6 Moons review of the D Premier. 

I think one of the problems with bypassing the dealers in favour of Harrods has been the lack of any informed opinion about the Phantom. As soon as the Phantoms appear in our local hi fi shops, we'll all be listening carefully in sensible surroundings and borrowing kit to try at home.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Sorry for bumping this thread again, but...
...has there been any review updates online (sound quality, stereo configuration)?

I wonder why none of the Hi-Fi magazines haven't published anything.
(27-Mar-2015, 22:07)mirekti Wrote: Sorry for bumping this thread again, but...
...has there been any review updates online (sound quality, stereo configuration)?

I wonder why none of the Hi-Fi magazines haven't published anything.

mattes posted this link last week (the review is in German but you can get a pretty good idea with automatic translation).
I took my Phantoms to the HiFi Wigwam Scalford event.
I wasn't sure I could get it going since Spark needs a wired internet connection, but I did. They seem much more stable than before, but report the same firmware version as before. I only used the optical input into one Phantom and they worked perfectly all day.
Recordings varied from superb to average and the sound was transparent, IMO. Good recordings sounded fabulous and even the bright ones were not harsh.
I didn't have time to mess about with room positioning, but they worked amazingly well in a reasonable location plonked on the old stands I used to use with my LS3/5as.

Overall my initial impressions of the excellent SQ continue, and the stability with a directly connected source was fine all day. Spark froze once, losing the volume control, but a quit and re-launch worked fine. I did not need to re-do the setup, it still worked as I had set the system up at home despite disconnecting it for transport.

Looking forward to the stands and remote becoming available.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

how do the Phantoms compare to your main system ?
(01-Apr-2015, 07:14)Vivialet Wrote: how do the Phantoms compare to your main system ?

They are impressive for the price but the treble and mid are not quite up to the standard of my main speakers. The bass is clean and fast without bloat overhang or floppy cabinet problems, which is very, very rare IME so the most impressive aspect.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire