Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default format setting in Devialet Air
Can someone please clarify regarding Default format setting in Devialet Air and MIDI  .
How its works 
How i shoud set it if i listen to Hi Res music (24bit 192kHz) 

[Image: midi.png]
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
My understanding which I have been empirically testing is that this 'default format' is the one it is defaulting to in case the sampling rate and the bit width are lower than this setting.

if your source is higher sampling rate or wider bits than 44/16 (for instance 96/24) it will adapt itself to 44/16 and if you open the audio/midi application while it is playing such a high res file you will see the formats changed accordingly. if you maintain the source button pressed on your remote the Devialet will also display 96KHz.

on the other and, if you have setup to 96/24 for instance, a 192/24 would be played at 192/24, a 96/24 at 96/24, but a 44/16 would be transmitted at 96/24 (at least this is what I have seen opening the activity monitor and looking at the network bandwidth being used).

So I ended up myself using the same default setting as you are displaying, since when I play a red book CD, I see no point into using more bandwidth than necessary, and when I'm playing some high res file, it switches to the right settings.

Caveat, I'm using iTunes as the player, so I do not guaranty that what I have experienced applies as is with an other player.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(19-Feb-2015, 14:29)Jean-Marie Wrote: if your source is higher sampling rate or wider bits than 44/16 (for instance 96/24) it will adapt itself to 44/16 and if you open the audio/midi application while it is playing such a high res file you will see the formats changed accordingly. if you maintain the source button pressed on your remote the Devialet will also display 96KHz.

Performed a little testing with hi res files 24bit 96/192kHz , you right regarding the sample rates, it can be seen in MIDI and in Devialet screen but in MiDI i still see 16bit and Devialet screen only shows sample rate so no indication for bits. 

Any thoughts ?
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(19-Feb-2015, 15:52)Stigmater Wrote:
(19-Feb-2015, 14:29)Jean-Marie Wrote: if your source is higher sampling rate or wider bits than 44/16 (for instance 96/24) it will adapt itself to 44/16 and if you open the audio/midi application while it is playing such a high res file you will see the formats changed accordingly. if you maintain the source button pressed on your remote the Devialet will also display 96KHz.

Performed a little testing with hi res files 24bit 96/192kHz , you right regarding the sample rates, it can be seen in MIDI and in Devialet screen but in MiDI i still see 16bit and Devialet screen only shows sample rate so no indication for bits. 

Any thoughts ?
If you like experimenting, I would take a file and using a tool like XLD or Audacity I would create a 16 bits and a 24 bits version of it.

I would play one after the other while monitoring from activity monitor the network bandwidth being sent.

24 bits version should exhibit a 50% increase of network bandwidth over 16 bits.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France