Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Audio 851N seems interesting
Searched under streaming could not find this item hence posting.

Seems like an interesting product from Cambridge Audio. If one can ignore for paying extra for the DAC and their ATF (upsampling etc) then this one seem to have whole lot. Almost future proof for network streaming.

Has anyone done trial run on this product or inputs to provide?

Link:
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/n.../azur-851n
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
The Pionerr N-70 is a similar product. It would be interesting to know how these more mass market products compare to Aurender, 3D Labs etc. at least products like the Cambridge Audio and Pioneer have spiffy screens, decent build quality, decent apps and support. But can they do the business with respect to sound quality?
You are right!. forget about these guys. Problem for me (where i live) is, I dont get my hands on what is good in the market. everything has to be imported and they wont do until i pay fully. Hence i relay on the forums. This is a very decent forum. Or when i travel due to business i get to visit the audio store, pick up what is good in the market.

Eyeing for Bruston BDP1/2. I dont want to pay for what i dont use Smile. Like DAC not needed in a system. Storage not needed in a system which is a part gets updated or moved to other storage mode etc. need a solid processor and a processor along.

i gonna delete this posting in a week.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
The Cambridge Audio 851N is their flagship streamer. It is basically StreamMagic 2 but within a bigger box and with better power handling. I would say based on my experience with StreamMagic that it is good but their ATF is a bit overrated and it may sound a tad clinical. Also one major drawback is the app which has the worst rating on AppStore and Google play. And this is not to be taken lightly.

In the same league,maybe slightly more expensive comes NAD M50. A member of NAD master series and really solid. But the thing that really makes it stand out is the fact that it has almost any online streaming service you can think of builtin. And the app is decent.

But still for me Aurender sound is more mature with warmer feel and wider sound stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
amabrok - an interesting post, are you saying that you actually auditioned a Stream Magic & NAD M50, then found that for you the Aurender came out best for sound quality? Another question, have you ever tried a back to back comparison between your Aurender and AIR?
(20-Feb-2015, 09:33)Confused Wrote: amabrok - an interesting post, are you saying that you actually auditioned a Stream Magic & NAD M50, then found that for you the Aurender came out best for sound quality? Another question, have you ever tried a back to back comparison between your Aurender and AIR?

Yes and no!

NAD was only auditioned in the showroom and not in my system. It was auditioned with NAD integrated amp M2 and Focal Electra 1028BE speakers. it was very good and by far better than StreamMagic

StreamMagic and of course Aurender are long tested and tried in my system. I had the StreamMagic even before Devialet and it served me for awhile as my main DAC. It has done a good job but as I said more on the cold side and the app is such a turn off!

If I rank on SQ, then it will be Aurender X100, then NAD M50, then lastly StreamMagic

For back to back comparison between Aurender and Air, yes it did. For the record I only use Air WiFi and still Aurender is better for me. A bit more relaxed. I guess the signature of Aurender would be warmth and in top of sound quality it is also very reliable. It simply works as expected and the build quality is top notch and it operates with abyssal silence, a nice surprise for a component with builtin hard disk drives!

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
Amabrok - you are right. the SM6 is upgraded to this 851N, and i was told that it is bright sounding device too. Never audition myself. However I have auditioned their NP30 which was bright. i believe that was their original model towards Network.

However all i m looking now is a device which does digital processor gets the data from NAS/other storage to input of the Devialet...
(20-Feb-2015, 11:34)Jnan_devi Wrote: Amabrok - you are right. the SM6 is upgraded to this 851N, and i was told that it is bright sounding device too. Never audition myself. However I have auditioned their NP30 which was bright. i believe that was their original model towards Network.

However all i m looking now is a device which does digital processor gets the data from NAS/other storage to input of the Devialet...

Then in addition to the Aurender range you may also want to consider Auralic Aeris.

It does exactly what you are asking for. And if you decide to go down this route, I strongly suggest you get the Auralic Aeris with the external power supply unit

Dubai, UAE
(20-Feb-2015, 12:24)amabrok Wrote:
(20-Feb-2015, 11:34)Jnan_devi Wrote: Amabrok - you are right. the SM6 is upgraded to this 851N, and i was told that it is bright sounding device too. Never audition myself. However I have auditioned their NP30 which was bright. i believe that was their original model towards Network.

Then in addition to the Aurender range you may also want to consider Auralic Aeris.

It does exactly what you are asking for. And if you decide to go down this route, I strongly suggest you get the Auralic Aeris with the external power supply unit

If you are looking at a UPnP renderer to pull data from a NAS then there's also the Moon MiND 180, the totaldac d1 server, the Bryston BDP-2, the 3D Labs Nano Transport.... it's also not clear at this stage if the Dialog will have that functionality at launch although I believe Devialet say it will eventually support UPnP.

The Auralic Aries seems to have the tightest integration with streaming services though. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
And in view of the fact that Dialog is supposed to bring additional wireless functionality/streaming capabilities you may want to play it safe by either waiting for further clarity (if you can afford to wait) or maybe go with a working solution that you don't consider as a heavy investment. After all this is an area which is still in its early development phase and things are evolving and changing rapidly.

Dubai, UAE