Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antipodes DXe (DV)
I recently purchased an Antipodes DXe, which they have renamed the DV. I got a good price on a demo. Previous to this I was streaming from a Mac running A+ mostly via USB. I also streamed TIDAL and sometimes hard drive based files via AIR. I mainly used the USB input because 1) It sounded nearly as good and 2) The white noise problems are horrible. With the upgrade of my USB cable recently to a TotalDac it actually sounds better than AIR. My system which I will post shortly, is extremely simple. I have a streaming source, a Devialet with a Foundation Research 2 power cable, German Physiks bespoke speaker cables and German Physiks Unlimited II speakers. Previous to these I owned Harbeths. I have owned many different speakers and different amps -- my all time favorite probably being my Pass Alephs.

It's a nice looking unit, simple and black with a blue glowing button on the front. But it definitely does not have the bling factor of the Aurilac or the cool looks of the TotalDac and the Aurender. It has a USB port on the back for backup (and for an external USB drive although I haven't done this yet). It has two USB outs, one powered on one not. I've mainly used the unpowered but I recently tried the powered and I don't hear much of a difference. That's pretty much it.

First the cons. I've had a few problems with the Squeezelight server. I previously ran Squeezelite on a Transporter and some Red Wine battery modded Squeezeboxes. I really like the interface, very simple and I understand it well. It's great for integrating apps like TIDAL. But it's wonky when controlled by a Mac. It much prefers Android. So I've experienced some problems with it and had to restart a bunch of times. Also the ripper is SLOW. Be prepared to take a long time uploading CDs. It rips in paranoid mode, so I suppose that's the cost.

Now the pros. The difference between the DXe and A+ either USB or Air is astounding. Like a different system. Really. Here are a few examples.

I recently bought the 96/24 file of Bjork's Vulnicura. I had assumed that it was a harsh recording and her voice was produced to sound somewhat unnatural. Now her voice sounds completely natural as does the rest of the recording (or as natural as an electronics-heavy record can).

Opera recordings, like the wonderful new recording of Currentzis' Nozze sound totally different. I can hear all sorts of instruments I was unable to, piano and lute lines. Instrumental lines are much clearer, but at the same time the acoustic sounds much more natural and integrated.

I have a few very complicated recordings -- like Grenier meets Archipelago -- that sound so different because of all the internal detail that I sometimes don't recognize the tracks!

As I mentioned on another thread the dynamics, and particularly the micro dynamics are noticeably different. I can hear all sorts of microdynamic shifts I was unable to before.

But above all the music just sounds much more present. Blue Trane sounds like Coltrane is here. Midnight Blue sounds like Kenny Burrell and Major Holley are right over there. The GP speakers excel in ambience and present realism. But this took it up many notches.

One area which I initially thought had been weakened was bass slam. I now realize that A) I am listening to music at lower volumes because the micro dynamics and detail is easier to access and B) the bass is tighter and better defined. I think the older setup had a similar effect to an old-style tube amp, what sounded like a bit more slam and lushness in the bass was actually a kind of smearing and lack of information.

I am going to upgrade the unit to what is the equivalent of the DV Zero by replacing the internal HD with an SSD for running the system and streaming via a NAS. Mark Jenkins says it is a major upgrade. I can't quite imagine how it could be, but after this experience I will definitely try it! BTW he is terrific. Responds immediately and is extremely helpful.

The Aurender and the TotalDac may do as much, I haven't heard them so I don't know. But wow is this unit impressive.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I've just checked, it looks like the nearest dealer for a UK customer is Strasbourg in France! A great post though, thanks for the information. It sounds like you are rather impressed with it!
Aaron - thanks for the post. i m followed, this from the Best Source Posting.

Can you also talk about the app ? which app is working well for this device? do they have their own app?

Just to list few (one can add more to the list) TotalDac D1, Antipodes, BDP-1/2, Aurender, Squeazebox - all these are pure processors. No DAC in them. maybe drop Squeazebox from the list, as you have found Antipodes better. the rest maybe at their own best but in the same quality league?
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Sorry I was a bit confusing. I wrote "Squeezebox Server" and I should have written Squeezelight, which is a software client (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeezelite). It can be used with any of the Squeezebox phone apps (Ipeng, Orange Juice, Squeezecommander,etc.). I've been controlling it from a Kindle, you could do it from an IPad as well. It's very easy to use and well set up on the Antipodes (despite the conflicts described above). It will continue to be developed in conjunction with Vortexbox (I think). Another thing I should have mentioned about the Antipodes that I like is that when you rip a CD it finds the cover art for you and does all the tagging. So far it has worked very well except for some reason it decided the cover to a Wadada Leo Smith record (brilliant jazz trumpeter) should be from a live Grateful Dead collection.

Are you familiar with the Vortexbox software and/or appliances?

The Antipodes severs are basically audiophile optimized Vortexbox appliances.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
Tagging and editing metadata never seems to be perfect when done automatically.

You need some additional software. I use and recommend "Bliss" and "MP3tag" on PC.
The default rip is to uncompressed FLAC
Thanks Gray, I should have mentioned that about uncompressed FLAC, although it reads pretty much any kind of file. Bliss is bundled with Squeezelite etc. on the Antipodes. I've used it to retag and it works well.

I've upgraded to the DV Zero and now am in the process of breaking it in. I can already hear some differences, but too soon to report.

A nice review of the Antipodes. http://www.audiostream.com/content/antip...sic-server

Mark's response in the comments is very much worth reading. The point he makes about open access software seems particularly pointed to a Devialet owner!