Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antipodes DXe (DV)
Thks David A, AaronG, both of you seem happy with antipode servers, and what i understand is there s slightly better sound either from usb out or Roon/Air of the antipodes.
More over , the convenience of take out of the chain the mac .
In my case im not "so" bothered by having the macbook open, and sound quality is really good.
I m from a group of audiophiles who will spend a lot for a big difference.( fed up from upgrading to get slight improvement).
I m following all forums discussions about antipodes, ultrarendu, sms 200 ultra, dcs nb,....... none of them really stated a big nice difference in sound comparing to roo/air.
The only huge step up in sound is from mutec +usb + ref10 clock.
I m not fan of many boxes , so i will wait and see.
Thks. A lot for the honnest feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually did find a huge step up in sound from the Mac. Really huge. But, the Mutec is a lot cheaper and might accomplish the same goal.

(04-Oct-2017, 08:20)samsoum Wrote: Thks David A, AaronG, both of you seem happy with antipode servers, and what i understand is there s slightly better sound either from usb out or Roon/Air of the antipodes.
More over , the convenience of take out of the chain the mac .
In my case im not "so" bothered by having the macbook open, and sound quality is really good.
I m from a group of audiophiles who will spend a lot for a big difference.( fed up from upgrading to get slight improvement).
I m following all forums discussions about antipodes, ultrarendu, sms 200 ultra, dcs nb,....... none of them really stated a big nice difference in sound comparing to roo/air.
The only huge step up in sound is from mutec +usb + ref10 clock.
I m not fan of many boxes , so i will wait and see.
Thks. A lot for the honnest feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(03-Oct-2017, 21:26)David A Wrote: Then I got the Antipodes. I tried both roon/air and the Antipodes roon ready USB connections from the Antipodes and feel that roon ready/USB sounds slightly better than roon/air over ethernet. Both sound very good but I think that USB is slightly better than what I get using roon/air over ethernet and that agrees with comments I've seen from Antipodes themselves. I haven't tried any tweaks on the USB connection and I wasn't using any high end USB cables with roon/air, just ordinary computer Cat 6 and 6A cabling. I don't know if I could have tweaked the ethernet connection to do better than the USB connection.

Have you tried the Antipodes via S/PDIF versus USB?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(04-Oct-2017, 13:29)Confused Wrote:
(03-Oct-2017, 21:26)David A Wrote: Then I got the Antipodes. I tried both roon/air and the Antipodes roon ready USB connections from the Antipodes and feel that roon ready/USB sounds slightly better than roon/air over ethernet. Both sound very good but I think that USB is slightly better than what I get using roon/air over ethernet and that agrees with comments I've seen from Antipodes themselves. I haven't tried any tweaks on the USB connection and I wasn't using any high end USB cables with roon/air, just ordinary computer Cat 6 and 6A cabling. I don't know if I could have tweaked the ethernet connection to do better than the USB connection.

No.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Not to the Devialet. I have run it via S/PDIF to the Grimm -- which is also uses a USB-preferred digital amplifier. It sounded very good, but no better as far as I could tell.

SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(04-Oct-2017, 22:38)AaronG Wrote: Not to the Devialet. I have run it via S/PDIF to the Grimm -- which is also uses a USB-preferred digital amplifier. It sounded very good, but no better as far as I could tell.

The Grimm might be a 'USB Preferred' amplifier, but I am not sure the Devialet is?  Although to be clear, USB and S/PDIF do work differently so the comparison will be very product / system specific.  With asynchronous USB the Devialet's clock governs, with S/PDIF the Devialet will extract the clock from the Antipodes.  So if the S/PDIF clock in the Antipodes is a good one, this may produce the best result, as well as avoiding the 'leakage loop' and isolation type issues that USB can suffer from.  If the S/PDIF clock in the Antipodes is mediocre, then USB could be much better.  This is a bit of a generalisation, I guess I am just saying that it might be worth giving S/PDIF a try.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12