Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W. London streamer bake-off
That sounds like a very interesting line-up, Matt.  Much as I'd love to be there in person, I'm sure you'll have plenty of participants and since you have already a W4S Sonos Connect I wouldn't be able to bring anything new to the party.  I will be very interested to hear how the Sonos acquits itself in such illustrious company, of course.

It would also be fun to see what the playlist comprises so that I can "listen along" remotely!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks, Ian.

If you'd like to come, you'd be very welcome. There's no requirement to bring kit along.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Here are some of the streamers I'm thinking of showcasing at the bake-off. This list doesn't include one or two units that people have offered to bring along, which are very much part of the planning.

Lumin A1 -- £5K
Aurender X100L -- £3.25K
Krell Connect -- £2.5K
Auralic Aries -- £1.5K
Sonos Connect (W4S mod) -- £750
Devialet DIALOG -- £230

We'll probably only want to have 5 units. Don't want to make things too confusing.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
(16-Mar-2015, 21:48)Jwg1749 Wrote: Here are some of the streamers I'm thinking of showcasing at the bake-off. This list doesn't include one or two units that people have offered to bring along, which are very much part of the planning.

Lumin A1 -- £5K
Aurender X100L -- £3.25K
Krell Connect -- £2.5K
Auralic Aries -- £1.5K
Sonos Connect (W4S mod) -- £750
Devialet DIALOG -- £230

We'll probably only want to have 5 units. Don't want to make things too confusing.

Matt

Matt when are you planning to run that?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hi!
The plan is Mon 15 or Tues 16 June. Are you thinking you might be in London then?
Matt

London
Just noticed another new player from Lumin - the L1 which looks interesting particularly because of the price - £750 in the UK.

Has UPnP s/w installed and 2TB internal storage and you just plug it in as you would any NAS. It handles all the usual file formats plus DSD and can be controlled from the Lumin app. I read that Lumin are planning TIDAL integration for Q1 2015.

The music player/streamer market does seem to be evolving pretty rapidly at the moment and the good news is prices seem, at last, to be coming down to sensible levels.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Interesting. It looks to me like the L1 isn't a streamer; it's just a NAS. That is, you need one of the other Lumin products in your system to actually play music. Or have I misread it?

Matt

London
(19-Mar-2015, 10:41)Jwg1749 Wrote: Interesting. It looks to me like the L1 isn't a streamer; it's just a NAS. That is, you need one of the other Lumin products in your system to actually play music. Or have I misread it?

Matt

Maybe you're right - they call it a Music Player but maybe it isn't? I'm not 100% sure - there isn't a whole lot of info on their site and following Quickstart link takes you to a generic connection guide which seems to apply to thier other Music Servers.  Will have to do more research Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(19-Mar-2015, 10:49)PhilP Wrote:
(19-Mar-2015, 10:41)Jwg1749 Wrote: Interesting. It looks to me like the L1 isn't a streamer; it's just a NAS. That is, you need one of the other Lumin products in your system to actually play music. Or have I misread it?

Matt

Maybe you're right - they call it a Music Player but maybe it isn't? I'm not 100% sure - there isn't a whole lot of info on their site and following Quickstart link takes you to a generic connection guide which seems to apply to thier other Music Servers.  Will have to do more research Wink

The only connections seem to be a slave USB 3.0 and Ethernet. The USB is for connection to a PC, but in normal use the L1 connects to a network via Ethernet. So yes, it does look like a NAS in a very attractive case.

London
What purpose will the Devialet Dialog actually serve on the day? 

I have two suggestions - 1) use it as a doorstop whilst the streamers that actually work are brought in to the premises, then  2) use it as a serving board for some cheese and crackers.

I'm happy to bring some cheese, if that helps.
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS