Poll: Are you considering a Dac-less streamer for your Devialet?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No - I'm happy with AIR or other computer-based solution
29.03%
54 29.03%
No - I already own one
38.71%
72 38.71%
Yes!
32.26%
60 32.26%
Total 186 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dac-less streamer survey!
I feed my D800 from a Raspberry Pi 2 (RPI2) with a DAC-less HifiBerry Digi+ card via SPDIF out. For now I am using Volumio streaming music files from my Apple Time Capsule. Volumio also does Web Radio and Spotify (not sure about Tidal). It works fine with DSD64 and 192/24 FLAC files. Volumio has a crude, but functional Web UI that I can use from a browser on desktop and mobile devices.

But I'm hoping to replace Volumio with a soon-to-be-released RoonSpeakers for RPI2 solution, which would turn a RPI2 into a Roon end point. That will be a great solution. At that point I'll probably get another Pi (a new Raspberry Pi 3) to use as a streamer for my Phantom Dialog. The Digi+ also has Toslink optical out.

I recently broke out my soldering iron to connect a high quality linear power supply directly to the Digi+ board (it replaces the one for the RPI2, which now draws power from the Digi+). It makes a HUGE difference, and I feel that I now have a DAC-less streamer worthy of the D800.

All for about $75.

muski
(19-Mar-2016, 05:56)muski Wrote: I feed my D800 from a Raspberry Pi 2 (RPI2) with a DAC-less HifiBerry Digi+ card via SPDIF out. For now I am using Volumio streaming music files from my Apple Time Capsule. Volumio also does Web Radio and Spotify (not sure about Tidal). It works fine with DSD64 and 192/24 FLAC files. Volumio has a crude, but functional Web UI that I can use from a browser on desktop and mobile devices.

But I'm hoping to replace Volumio with a soon-to-be-released RoonSpeakers for RPI2 solution, which would turn a RPI2 into a Roon end point. That will be a great solution. At that point I'll probably get another Pi (a new Raspberry Pi 3) to use as a streamer for my Phantom Dialog. The Digi+ also has Toslink optical out.

I recently broke out my soldering iron to connect a high quality linear power supply directly to the Digi+ board (it replaces the one for the RPI2, which now draws power from the Digi+). It makes a HUGE difference, and I feel that I now have a DAC-less streamer worthy of the D800.

All for about $75.

muski
Nice!

Bryston have just done the same (used a Pi for a streamer, in conjunction with HifiBerry), although by putting it in a branded box and adding their PS its going to be significantly more expensive than yours (expected MSRP $1,200)….
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141017.100
and a video https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml1uq1v8klyii4...2.m4v?dl=0

Feels like I've been waiting years for that RoonBridge on the Pi….. I really do think we're down to tens of days now (oh, OK, a few weeks)...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I am confused by the nomenclature what exactly is a music server, streamer or digital music player (and the additional confusing factor +/- DAC)
Device with storage like HD or SSD built in or not, device which can stream from the internet or not, device which is only used for storage of file (music specific NAS).
I've used a Chord Hugo 2 DAC with the D400 and found that I can't really hear much of a difference so I don't see the point in additional hardware.
Od’A #63, Kef Blade 2
(25-May-2015, 18:49)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(25-May-2015, 16:35)Antoine Wrote: If you even have pops and crackles over USB there's REALLY something 'wrong' with your computer/it's configuration. No wonder AIR also shows that issue. Reinstall it from scratch and only install the software you need.

It's a dedicated Mac mini running only itunes, audirvana and now Air.

The same setup drives a chord Hugo usb and has never missed a beat. Not in five months of playing. Ever.

The only time I've ever experienced this is since buying the Devialet. So my hunch is there's actually a fault with the Devialet.  Sadly, Devialet support are being completely and utterly useless.

Hi Hifi_swlon

I also use a dedicated Mac Mini for my files but use Roon for file management. I feed the Devialet via Ethernet. Never had any issues and prior to Roon, I was feeding the LINN Majik and using it's app for file management, feeding the Devialet via coax originally, again, not an pop, crackle or hiss.

I would be pissed if I had your challenges for sure!

I listen to specific internet radio like Radio Paradise and I lose all the value of the RP UI channeling it through Roon. I hope to be able to access RP, (or other Internet radio stations directly once the Devialet board gains some maturity!

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
I use the dSC network Bridge and it works and sounds beautifully with zero drop out and no glitches. Highly recommended!!
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -