Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Devialet or not to Devialet
i guess here are a few of the things going through my mind. Like everything in the upgrade journey you have some spare cash and that spare cash suddenly is not enough.

I am close to having the funds for the 120, the 200 would be another few months. are there any other costs I would have to bear in mind?

Is it worth the extra 2k?
The SAM technology - is this just available on the 200 model up.
I currently use a headphone amp in my system, do both the 120 and 200 have a headphone amp in them. Are they any good or would i be better off keeping mt separate amp? One of the appeals of the Devialet is the simple replacing of boxes. So I would prefer Devialet and Streamer and thats it.

I have read the two specs but that doesnt really help me. I say I like the power of my amp but its not all about 120w or 200w.

Any guidance much appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(25-Feb-2015, 17:55)Womaz Wrote: i guess here are a few of the things going through my mind. Like everything in the upgrade journey you have some spare cash and that spare cash suddenly is not enough.

I am close to having the funds for the 120, the 200 would be another few months. are there any other costs I would have to bear in mind?

Is it worth the extra 2k?
The SAM technology - is this just available on the 200 model up.
I currently use a headphone amp in my system, do both the 120 and 200 have a headphone amp in them. Are they any good or would i be better off keeping mt separate amp? One of the appeals of the Devialet is the simple replacing of boxes. So I would prefer Devialet and Streamer and thats it.

I have read the two specs but that doesnt really help me. I say I like the power of my amp but its not all about 120w or 200w.

Any guidance much appreciated

Oh Absolutely! I went through that phase. For me it was even bad .... the taxes/duties in India kill us with any upgrade. So my target was only D120 hence no chance here [Image: smile.gif]. But i m very happy with my set up..

SAM -  I guess all Devialet are able to SAM.

Currently I dont have streamer - Just AIR_ETH and Optical from Airplay - i m happy with it. there are many folks on the forum who also have Streamers.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
I'm rather new here and anything but an expert but will offer the following:

120W versus 200W - up until my 200 I have always used Class AB amps and found that having more power than one thinks they need as been beneficial. I have believed that one can do more damage to a speaker by driving it harder with less watts (amp clips) than with more so I subscribe to more power is better when at least comparing amps from the same manufacturer, again just my opinion...

Headphone - again no expert but I have configured my 200 to use pre-outs for my headphones (far from high end). I'm not sure that the 120 can do so but knowing that it has less inputs than the 200 does. Even if it can, it maybe make it non-useable depending on the number of inputs you require to run your sources. Also if you are a serious headphone user I suspect a dedicated separate headphone amp might in the end be a better choice - only you'll know when you try out both.
Hi Womaz, and welcome. This is a good place to get a wide range of opinions from persons who have the Devialet and have fairly long term experiences with it.

On the USB cable, the small dealer that I bought mine from uses a Sonos Connect for radio and general listening. For sit-down serious listening, he streams through USB from a Mac Mini. That connection is USB, and he uses fairly regular USB cabling from the Mini to the Dev. He always demo's the D120 with the 'normal' speakers and something larger with the big Magico's. He feels that a good USB cable will make a difference, but he is talking about sub-$200.00, not ₤600.00.

More power is good, but the D120 seems to have quite a bit of grunt, at least for me. A tough call, but the difference in cash is pretty clear. If you ever felt you have double the money, then the possible dual mono option, starting with a D200, would be the way to go.

I'm not sure about the headphone connection, as I don't have any. Pre-out gets discussed here, but I cannot say if the current D120 has that or not.

Good luck with the search.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Some great replies here thank you.
It does make sense to wait and get the 200 I guess.
I think i see the Devialet as my last ever hifi purchase (tongue in cheek) there is the upgrades through the software that appeals.
More than anything it boils down to sound quality. perhaps the dealer will let me hear both to do a comparison.
I am not technical at all so still a little confused about the headphones. Is there a headphone socket?
I would not say I am a serious headphone user , but I do use it a fair bit. I have the AKQQ701s with a Musical Fidelity MIHAP amp. Its good but I guess I was thinking that if the Devialet is as good as the reviews say then its another box to get rid of.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Hello Womaz.

To pick off your question about headphones: there is no headphone socket on the amplifier, so I think you'll need a headphone amp.  You should be able to run it from the analog pre-out (after using the on-line configurator to set that up).  One thing to check if this is important to you: originally the 120 shipped without a pre-out facility, although it was an optional extra.  I recall hearing that it's later been included as standard, but I could be wrong.  It is a standard feature with the 200.

Hope that helps!

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The website still suggests it is optional and still includes a fitting video:

https://help.devialet.com/entries/289050...vialet-120-
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Looks like its all pointing to the 200. Are there any other costs I need to be aware of.
Also really interested to hear from anyone up in the NE about who they used and their experiences with the installation etc.
My apologies but new questions coming into my head all the time. No DSD? Just discovered this. Could there be a possibility of this in an upgrade. ?
Are all of the upgrades free?
(25-Feb-2015, 21:35)Womaz Wrote: No DSD? Just discovered this. Could there be a possibility of this in an upgrade. ?
Are all of the upgrades free?

DSD is coming... possibly to be announced at Munich 2015. At the moment that's all we know really as there aren't any details.

Firmware upgrades are free.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK