Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Devialet or not to Devialet
(25-Feb-2015, 23:34)Womaz Wrote: Its a cracking idea.
When you buy a Devialet do you not get installation though? After reading a few messages on here it all seems rather complex.

If you want to know how 'complex' it s before you buy, just go to the Devialet website and have a go at the configurator. It's a good place to figure out whether or not the Devialet will do everything you want it to do too.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(25-Feb-2015, 23:34)Womaz Wrote: Its a cracking idea.
When you buy a Devialet do you not get installation though? After reading a few messages on here it all seems rather complex.
It's very simple, Womaz - a lot easier than my previous active system.  It's basically an amp - so connect speakers, connect sources and configure the SD card (10 minute job) to name inputs, disable unused inputs etc.  if you get stuck,  there are loads of people on this forum who will be able to help. 
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Excellent help tonight thank you. My only disappointment so far is that I will still have to use a headphone amp. One of the appeals of the Dev is that I thought it could reduce my number of boxes. I was hoping H/P amp would be within the amp therefore just leave me with the Dev and my network player. The Dev is such a beauty i think too many boxes around it takes away a bit of the wow factor to the appearance. Obviously the music is important.
This SAM seems very interesting, if it could get my 23s sounding even better that would be amazing
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Will have a look at this thank you
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(25-Feb-2015, 23:46)Womaz Wrote: Excellent help tonight thank you. My only disappointment so far is that I will still have to use a headphone amp. One of the appeals of the Dev is that I thought it could reduce my number of boxes. I was hoping H/P amp would be within the amp therefore just leave me with the Dev and my network player. The Dev is such a beauty i think too many boxes around it takes away a bit of the wow factor to the appearance. Obviously the music is important.
This SAM seems very interesting, if it could get my 23s sounding even better that would be amazing

You can use the Devialet outputs as a variable headphone output as said before. I haven't tried it myself but some on this forum have and were quite happy with it. I guess you need to try it for yourself but you might be surprised. 
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
the headphone option was already discussed here on the forum. You can connect a headphone to the pre-out, you only need an adapter. Then you can use the mute option to mute the speakers. Tick the mute option for the speakers but not for the pre-out. Additionally configure the option to switch the pre-out on/off with the remote. Then you can easily switch to a headphone mode.
Ah my apologies, I have obviously misunderstood the messages. So this can be done on both the 120 and the 200?
Or i guess that depends on what i am connecting to the Devialet and whether there are enough outputs. It might be a good idea for me to hear that at my demo too.
The idea of picking it up in Ireland is also interesting. I am sort of guessing the support and back up is very much web based so may not matter where you buy it from. I am in the NE so have to travel to find a dealer anyway.
Also just found out on another form that I can use my NAS drive attached directly to the Dev. I am trying to find the qnqp app now to have a look at this. I might not go down this route, but to have one box and speakers would give a cool and chic look I reckon. I need to demo soon as the pulses are racing.
(26-Feb-2015, 09:12)Womaz Wrote: Ah my apologies, I have obviously misunderstood the messages. So this can be done on both the 120 and the 200?
Or i guess that depends on what i am connecting to the Devialet and whether there are enough outputs. It might be a good idea for me to hear that at my demo too.

It seems there are two schools of thought about headphones.  Vivialet pointed out they can be connected directly to the line-level outputs (with an adapter), but I'd be a little wary of that and would use a headphone amp in between.  My thinking is that the line outputs probably aren't designed to drive what might be a fairly low impedance, which means the quality of audio you'd get from directly-connected headphones could vary depending on the characteristics of the headphones you're using.  A headphone amp is designed for the job and should be a very easy load for the line outputs to drive, hence avoiding any possible loss of quality.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK