Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries vs Aurender X100 vs Melco N1Z
Excellent timing for me and thanks for posting your findings.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Thnx for this extencive testing, much appreciated!
Aurender S10/ESP the Essence/Wireworld Platinum XLR/Devialet 200/Graditech Voima One/Jena Labs 15 bi-wired/ASW Magadis/IPad air 2.

The Netherlands
Excellent review in a difficult area.

Interesting that even if you weight the sound quality issue at 5 times the level of the others, the Aurender comes out top.

Personally I would find it tough to live with a product with significant shortcomings in set up and operation, in an area where many will switch to a streamer to make operation easier.

Maybe the market is still in its infancy and in three years we will look back and laugh at the inadequacies of some products we see now.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Very thorough and detailed report and a joy to read, very many thanks for this!

In a couple of weeks I will have the opportunity to do more of a deep dive with the two Melco models. Hopefully I will try and address some of these usability issues too. 

Your observations re the Aries' SQ almost exactly mirror mine. Funnily enough someone else made exactly the same comment about this horizontal virtual corridor! So when I read this in your report it really struck me.

You've certainly raised the bar with Devialet Chat product reviews!  Tongue

Guillaume 
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Good writeup amabrok! Now I am more interested in N1A. My friend who both auditioned N1A and X100 found even N1A is better than X100 in terms of sound quality.
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
(01-Mar-2015, 23:34)GuillaumeB Wrote: Very thorough and detailed report and a joy to read, very many thanks for this!

In a couple of weeks I will have the opportunity to do more of a deep dive with the two Melco models. Hopefully I will try and address some of these usability issues too. 

Your observations re the Aries' SQ almost exactly mirror mine. Funnily enough someone else made exactly the same comment about this horizontal virtual corridor! So when I read this in your report it really struck me.

You've certainly raised the bar with Devialet Chat product reviews!  Tongue

Guillaume 

thanks very much indeed GuillaumeB!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(01-Mar-2015, 23:39)Umetaro Wrote: Good writeup amabrok!  Now I am more interested in N1A.  My friend who both auditioned N1A and X100 found even N1A is better than X100 in terms of sound quality.

Thanks Umetaro!

While i expect the N1A to deliver comparable sound quality performance, let us not forget that the N1Z is the flagship of Melco and as such even if the N1A manages to deliver the same quality it will still suffer from the same shortcoming in terms of setup and operation. and i think it is hard to trade off reliable operation for a marginal SQ improvement,
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
I totally agree with you, amabrok. Usability is one of the key factors and X100 sounds attractive on this point.
If you would compare Mac Mini with the three players, what would be your rating in terms of sound quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
(02-Mar-2015, 04:39)Umetaro Wrote: I totally agree with you, amabrok. Usability is one of the key factors and X100 sounds attractive on this point.
If you would compare Mac Mini with the three players, what would be your rating in terms of sound quality?

In my system I use Macbook Pro and Air WiFi and it sounds better than Auralic Aeris but lags behind both Aurender and Melco

Dubai, UAE
Very Pro-Like. You deserve a big thank you and Much Appreciated the effort and also a honest write up. This will be very helpful. My little shortlist can be arranged based on your finding Smile.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"