Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and Jamo R909s: 400s or 800s?
I recently auditioned the Devialet 200 in my system driving Jamo R909s in a 18x14x7.5' listening room. The amplifier was, in many respects the best I've ever heard but the system needed more power.  Unfortunately my dealer does not carry either the 400s or 800s, as he is a small store he only stocks the 120 and the 200.

My question is, will the 400s meet my needs or do I go the 250 route waiting until I can afford a slave for 800 monoblock operation?

Thanks

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(27-Feb-2015, 05:36)MusicFirst Wrote: I recently auditioned the Devialet 200 in my system driving Jamo R909s in a 18x14x7.5' listening room. The amplifier was, in many respects the best I've ever heard but the system needed more power.  Unfortunately my dealer does not carry either the 400s or 800s, as he is a small store he only stocks the 120 and the 200.

My question is, will the 400s meet my needs or do I go the 250 route waiting until I can afford a slave for 800 monoblock operation?

Thanks

Kerry

Hi mate,

The only way to find out would be asking your dealer if he can loan a 400 from his supplier for you to audition. If you make it clear to him that he will at least get to sell you a 400 or maybe over time an 800 he should be happy to accommodate you.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Feb-2015, 11:44)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(27-Feb-2015, 05:36)MusicFirst Wrote: I recently auditioned the Devialet 200 in my system driving Jamo R909s in a 18x14x7.5' listening room. The amplifier was, in many respects the best I've ever heard but the system needed more power.  Unfortunately my dealer does not carry either the 400s or 800s, as he is a small store he only stocks the 120 and the 200.

Thanks

Kerry

Hi mate,

The only way to find out would be asking your dealer if he can loan a 400 from his supplier for you to audition. If you make it clear to him that he will at least get to sell you a 400 or maybe over time an 800 he should be happy to accommodate you.

Cheers,

Pim

the effective increase in power from 400w to 800w is...wait for it..... 11% - remember it is a log scale not a linear scale

so i reckon the difference will be negligible 

err this is from an 800 owner - but then in the day there was no 400
(27-Feb-2015, 13:01)colonel66 Wrote:

Thanks

Kerry

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Pim

the effective increase in power from 400w to 800w is...wait for it..... 11% - remember it is a log scale not a linear scale

11%? How is that supposed to work? Are you talking about power or Db?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
11% is 1000 times better than 0% surely?
(27-Feb-2015, 13:05)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(27-Feb-2015, 13:01)colonel66 Wrote:

Thanks

Kerry

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Pim

11%? How is that supposed to work? Are you talking about power or Db?
how your ear perceives power - i.e. dB - surely that's what matters?? 
(27-Feb-2015, 13:07)Confused Wrote: 11% is 1000 times better than 0% surely?

no 11% is infinitely better than 0%  Huh
Ok you guys have lost me... but I think what you're trying to say is that double the power doesn't equate to double the sound pressure. I'm no expert on this but I do remember the difference between the 'old' Dev 170 and 200 to be quite noticeable. Surely double the power will make a big difference.

Then again, @ 89 dB sensitivity the 909's will go very loud with 400Watt in MusicFirst's room.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Interestingly, the amplifier I compared the Devialet 200 to delivers 600 watts into the 4 ohm load of the Jamo R909s.  (Devialet specifies that the 200 delivers 300 watts into 4 ohms; the 400s deliver 600 watts into 4 ohms and the 800s deliver 1200 watts into 4 ohms)

Best

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Also, despite their stated 89 db efficiency, the dual 15" woofers on the Jamo R909s like lots of current to get down and boogie.....