Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR
(31-May-2014, 19:27)moreno1973 Wrote: Today I spent about 4 hours to check what is better sounding with Devialet....WIFI Air or USB cable with Audioquest Diamond USB.

I can say that WIFI Air is better sounding option. Especially better are micro details of sound. I can hear all these super micro sounds better.. they are more precise. Sound with WIFI Air is extremly transparent and very dynamic. For some persons it could be too much transparent and seems too bright...it depends on loudspeakers. But with Sonus Faber Auditor M which are very natural sounding speakers WIFI Air is great solution to listen music.

USB with Diamond cable is less transparent and seems more focused on mid tones. Voices sounds very nice but without freshness typical for WIFI Air...

I decided not to buy Audioquest Diamond USB and instead invest more money in perfect WIFI network in my home.

That sounds really encouraging moreno1973.

Have you thought about comparing Wi-Fi to wired ethernet?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I had totally different findings ;-)

USB provides the best sound quality.
And Audioquest Diamond is not necessary at all :-)
I have a marginal preference for wireless and ethernet AIR over USB. I can't distinguish at all between wireless and ethernet AIR.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(31-May-2014, 19:52)GuillaumeB Wrote: Have you thought about comparing Wi-Fi to wired ethernet?

Guillaume

Yes I will try it tomorrow with good quality Ethernet Cat.7 cable. But truly speaking WI-FI is so good quality and so nice to use (without) any cables that if Ethernet will not be much better I will stay with Devialet Air WIFI as main sound source from laptop.
I bought Airport Express and after that and after upgrade to Air2.1.2 signal is really strong and there are no any problems, even with playing high resolution files...

I also like very much sound from my Krell CD player connected via coaxial cable to Devialet.
Hi, I started using AIR because the stability improved substantially with the new F/W and AIR app. One issue I have with AIR is that AIR app is disabled after some time and that I need to restart AIR app on Mac Mini. Is there any way to keep AIR activated? On the other hand, USB input is stable (although the connection between Audirvana and Devialet is sometimes lost).

Before upgrading D-Premier to 240, I used AES/EBU input with DD converter, Stello U3. This is the most stable and I do not have to operate Mac Mini to reactivate Audirvana.
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
(01-Jun-2014, 01:57)Umetaro Wrote: Hi, I started using AIR because the stability improved substantially with the new F/W and AIR app. One issue I have with AIR is that AIR app is disabled after some time and that I need to restart AIR app on Mac Mini. Is there any way to keep AIR activated? On the other hand, USB input is stable (although the connection between Audirvana and Devialet is sometimes lost).

Before upgrading D-Premier to 240, I used AES/EBU input with DD converter, Stello U3. This is the most stable and I do not have to operate Mac Mini to reactivate Audirvana.

Yes the disabling of AIR after some time of inactivity is a slight irritation. Have you asked Thierry at Devialet about it?
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Had no issues with inactivity on a Mac so far, but the Mac did not go into deep sleep mode reliably when AIR was installed. After uninstalling everything works fine again. No need for AIR having superb SQ via USB.
(01-Jun-2014, 07:20)IanG-UK Wrote:
(01-Jun-2014, 01:57)Umetaro Wrote: Hi, I started using AIR because the stability improved substantially with the new F/W and AIR app. One issue I have with AIR is that AIR app is disabled after some time and that I need to restart AIR app on Mac Mini. Is there any way to keep AIR activated? On the other hand, USB input is stable (although the connection between Audirvana and Devialet is sometimes lost).

Yes the disabling of AIR after some time of inactivity is a slight irritation. Have you asked Thierry at Devialet about it?
Thanks IanG-UK. I haven't asked Thierry about this. Maybe I should.
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
When you guys use AIR does your internal volume control become disabled? Mine seems to stay enabled when I have a feeling it should disable?
(08-Jun-2014, 19:18)Martyn Wrote: When you guys use AIR does your internal volume control become disabled? Mine seems to stay enabled when I have a feeling it should disable?

Chaps - does anyone have an answer to this question? I don't use AIR so can't answer it.

Surely someone on here can help?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK