Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet bad at low volumes?
It's amazing - my speakers are not stupidly insensitive (88dB at 2.83V/m) but I can barely hear them at -40dB setting on the Devialet! I do also think mine sounds fairly poor at low volumes too. Typical volume for me is around -20 to -10dB for rock and perhaps -10 to +5 for classical. And that's not terribly loud on my ears by any means. There does seem to be a bit of a threshold below which it breaks down. Could well be related to my ear quality and Fletcher-Munson curve.
If others hadn't suggested that Devialet sounds poor at low volume then it would never have occurred to me that this was the case. So it clearly isn't a problem for me Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
jjo,

I didn't 'belittle' anyone's experience. I just responded, with humour, to the vague idea that 'some people complain about the Devialet...' And if you read my post, you will see that I am relating my own experience only, and not making any claim that it is a universal truth. The default volume on the Devialet is -40.0 on the dial, and that is the setting I was listening at. And I did not carry on with an ad infinitum argument, such as " If it doesn't sound bad that low, it must not sound bad at -60.0 or even -70.0. So it must be sufficient proof that Devialet does not sound bad at low volumes."

You did the same thing in your post, but you also claim there is a problem with the Devialet at low volumes, yet you go on to suggest that it also varies with speaker sensitivity. That suggests the speakers are the 'problem'. That or the Fletcher Munson curve referred to in two other posts.

Your ears and your system, give one result, which becomes your opinion. My ears and my system give another result, which is my opinion. If you read the other posts in this thread, you will see that most owners agree that there is no problem with the Devialet a low volumes. It is not the same as every other amplifier on the market, but I personally find it excellent.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(04-Mar-2015, 22:46)Damon Wrote: You did the same thing in your post, but you also claim there is a problem with the Devialet at low volumes, yet you go on to suggest that it also varies with speaker sensitivity. That suggests the speakers are the 'problem'. That or the Fletcher Munson curve referred to in two other posts.

Different speaker sensitivity would put a Devialet at different volume levels to achieve the same sound pressure at the listening position.  Just wondering how you conclude a speaker problem out of that?

PS) I haven't come to any conclusion regarding Devialet's sound quality at lower volumes.  I did play with the max output wattage but didn't notice any ground breaking change, maybe a little warmer and fuller at lower max wattage output.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(05-Mar-2015, 00:33)Dr Tone Wrote: Different speaker sensitivity would put a Devialet at different volume levels to achieve the same sound pressure at the listening position.  Just wondering how you conclude a speaker problem out of that?

Indeed. I was not truly concluding that the speaker is the problem, but didn't put it very well. And the 'my ears, my system' point was trying to cover the many variables including personal preference. I'm not really suggesting a speaker 'problem' but I was also questioning the Devialet 'problem'; hence the liberal use of quote marks.

I don't think my speakers are very efficient at 86db, but in my room, the -40.0 volume setting seems quite pleasant, not so much for active listening, but when I have Rdio on, or oboe concertos going while I'm doing something else in the same room. And as I mentioned in my first post, in comparison to my previous Naim streamer, the D120 is really nice at low volumes.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I've noticed the same sound quality changes at lower volume levels versus higher volumes.  It wouldn't say it is really drastic, just naggingly noticable and undesirable at lower levels.  I have Vandersteen 5As which rated at 86 dB efficiency.  There is a definite ramp up in apparent sound quality as the volume level goes up.  Somewhat similar to the turbo lag in my old Volvo engine.  As the volume level goes up, there is a definite threshold where things go from sounding really good to great.  I don't recall experiencing this same phenomena with my prior SimAudio P-7/W-7 preamp/amp (150 watts output, class A/B) and assumed it was the D200 amp characteristic.

I recall reading someplace (maybe here?) that a person experiencing this same issue reset the output power on their Devialet to a lower level.  I think I will try this this weekend. My speakers are specified for amps in the 30 watt up to 200 watt ratings. I currently have my D200 set to the 200 watt output.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
for me ... if I doing during late evenings, obviously dont want to disturb others,

i perfectly fine and enjoy Jazz at -40 to -35. i can hear even those light drumming (literally drums being rubbed etc) are audible.

However, during early evening or day time - i go up to -20. so for me its subject to the background noise is prominent. hence i have given up asking quality on low volume etc ( i has raised this else where in this forum).

given my location, the quality of the source is important. I have bought some hi res from HDtracks, LInn, B&W music society or CD RIP into .wav - I m very happy with -35/-40 during quite nights. I enjoy them thoroughly.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(04-Mar-2015, 20:29)johnsap Wrote: Can you please provide more details on how you configured the device output power.
How did you use the configurator to achieve this?

In the configurator (Advanced mode?) when you click on the speaker terminals, you can set a bunch of stuff, including the output power.

(04-Mar-2015, 22:46)Damon Wrote: I didn't 'belittle' anyone's experience. I just responded, with humour, to the vague idea that 'some people complain about the Devialet...'

Ok, not my kind of humour then, I guess. So if I was to say something along the lines of "People who don't recognize the low volume problem are dumb jerks with hearing problems" that might be considered as humorous.

(04-Mar-2015, 22:46)Damon Wrote: You did the same thing in your post, but you also claim there is a problem with the Devialet at low volumes, yet you go on to suggest that it also varies with speaker sensitivity. That suggests the speakers are the 'problem'. That or the Fletcher Munson curve referred to in two other posts. 

What I'm suggesting is that the "low volume" we are speaking of means "low volume setting on the dial". The volume leven indeed depends on the speaker sensitivity and while for some the -40.0 may seem low, for people with sensitive speakers it might actually be rather loud. Louder than desired really.

This is why people with insensitive speakers seem to think there can't be a problem, because they can't hear it. And obviously in that case it is not a problem, for them. It just doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. I also find it useless trying to deny the problem, when there is a viable solution for it. Rather than telling people that "Devialet is good, you're just complaining about nothing" it might be more constructive to tell them "Some people experience this problem with their setups and this is how to fix it". Me  for one would not have bought Devialet without finding the solution. I'm glad I solved it though.

If you read what I said in the previous message, you might find that the case was as follows...

Amp A + speakers + low volume = awesome sound
Amp B + the very same speakers + low volume = bad sound

How do you reckon that while everything else but the amp remains the same, something else than the amp is the problem? Also how do you explain that tweaking the amplifier parameters fixes the problem? Oh yeah, of course it's compensating for the shortcomings in speakers and hearing that only appear with this amp.

(05-Mar-2015, 00:51)Damon Wrote: Indeed. I was not truly concluding that the speaker is the problem, but didn't put it very well. And the 'my ears, my system' point was trying to cover the many variables including personal preference. I'm not really suggesting a speaker 'problem' but I was also questioning the Devialet 'problem'; hence the liberal use of quote marks.

I find this to be denialism at it's best. 

(05-Mar-2015, 00:51)Damon Wrote: I don't think my speakers are very efficient at 86db, but in my room, the -40.0 volume setting seems quite pleasant, not so much for active listening, but when I have Rdio on, or oboe concertos going while I'm doing something else in the same room. 

Yes, but on the range from -97,5 to 30 the setting of -40.0 is already kind of high as it is disregarding the  115 volume steps that come before it. The fact that your speakers are "unusable" within 0-115 range just masks the problem.

As a bonus link here is a really whiny review of Devialet: http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/110/review

They gave it 5 stars and called it exceptional. But then again they also said:

"Drop the volume right down and the story changes a bit. The impressive clarity remains for the most part, but the sound loses a surprising amount of dynamic sparkle and rhythmic cohesion. 

Most amplifiers suffer from losses in these areas when the volume level drops, but the effect here is far more obvious.

We’d even go as far as to say if you regularly listen to music at very low volumes this is probably not the amplifier for you."

But what do they know, because you don have this "problem". They are just complaining about everything and have unrealistic expectations and don't account the fact how hearing works. I'm glad you know better than everyone else.
I m sorry but i do read whathifi but not necessarily with great interest. I check it to see for the price of a product. Also they have to write something maybe on the negative side too, hence they write what they write ...

This is very personal opinion no harm or whatsoever commenting on to what others have to say or have their opinion about whathifi
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"