Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Devialet 400
First post, I'm demoing a D200 (my dealer doesn't have a D400) and have some general question. My system is speakers TAD's reference one's, MSB Transport which up for sale, Argento cables and mac mini.

I hooked up ethernet cable  downloaded Devialet iPhone app. That solved the problem of knowing the volume level without getting up as well as changing inputs. Right now when I play music thru the mac mini via USB I'm using itunes, pure music and remote app. I read somewhere that it's possible to bypass using pure music and just use iTunes directly into the Devialet and pressing on the power button for a few seconds to see the sample rate playing. I don't see this in the manual. Has anyone read this or actually doing this? Is it even worth doing?

Is there a  Devialet app out yet for the iPad like the iPhone has?

Is anybody stacking the Devialet units on top of each other? If so any heat issues?

What are folks putting underneath the Devialets with thicker cables? Right now I'm using some leftover Symposium Roller blocks II so the unit stays level.

When you get the new  Devialet 400's do you have to go online to the Configurator right away or can you plug and play and config later?

The case around the D200/D400 vs. the case around the D250/D800 what the actual difference and why are they different?

Do the inputs upsample to 384 only if you are  running  mono Devialet 400's?

If you have a cd/sacd transport will the Devialet dac play sacd? I just tested it out and no sound

Finally are folks happy with the included crystal cable now a days it seem like a lot folks on this forum weren't happy and switched it out with a different brand?

Sorry for so many questions, newbie.

John
Hi John,

Just picking out the questions I know the answers for:

Yes, there is an iPad app, just like the one on the iPhone.

SACD is technically DSD and Devialet doesn't support that yet. There's talk it will be introduced at the High End in Munich.

There has been some talk about dual monos up sampling to 384kHz but the outcome was a bit unclear. Who cares as long as it sounds right, right?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
1 Yes its just like the iPhone one

2 They can be stacked but personally I would not. To save space you could wall-mount them

3 Well it will take really thick cables if via bananas?

4 Not sure - get your dealer to do it - the dual mono configurator is flaky

5 The 250/800 case is allegedly a better heatsink - the 250 and 200 (or 800 and 400) innards are identical. In my opinion the 250/800 case is nicer but at a huge price hike

6 My recollection is that the original D-Premier did 384 (as did the D-Premier dual mono) but the current range does not - that's also what Devialet say

7 DSD is a firm prediction for Munich, apparently

8 Loads of opinion here about the linking cable and whether you use it RCA/RCA (as supplied by Devialet) or RCA/XLR (as was Devialet's original recommendation) 

Good luck!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
On the stacking option, I have my D400's on top of each other seperated using cerabase feet (3 under each one) and have no heat problems.
From an older version of the Devialet website that's appearing in the Google cache - this is on the D400 'all signals are over-sampled to 384khz via a unique set-up that uses the potential of the DAC "Magic Wire" to its utmost on each unit.'. I'm pretty sure this over-sampling is the same for all Devialet models.
Picking up on one point, if you feed a Devialet a SACD (DSD) digital signal you will indeed get no sound. Some disc players will convert DSD to PCM (24bit), these will play ok, but they are quite rare, and in theory you will be losing out with respect to ultimate sound quality.
Thanks guys for all the great answers.