Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet not just an amp?
The way I look at it is that every company brings out new products. By the sounds of it the people who bought the original Devialet are still getting their upgrades.
Also even without any more upgrades it leaves my current kit trailing a long way behind.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
That's true, Womaz, but only for those that participated in the hardware upgrade from D-Premiere to D250.

This was not a cheap upgrade. It cost somewhere near 3000Euro.

Not so bad for those that had their D-P's for years but a bit of a shock for those who had only recently bought one and an even bigger shock for those that had recently bought a dual mono set-up.

It really is up to Devialet to provide the firmware updates and increased functionality that are of sufficient quality and interest to the D owning community to justify the expense of a future hardware upgrade.

I believe that this has been the case so far and have high hopes for the next firmware upgrade which is expected soon.

Personally I find a future hardware upgrade (hopefully still around 2 years away) exciting and don't mind paying handsomely so long as I can see that it offers good value. 
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
(08-Mar-2015, 12:49)Womaz Wrote: The way I look at it is that every company brings out new products. By the sounds of it the people who bought the original Devialet are still getting their upgrades. Also even without any more upgrades it leaves my current kit trailing a long way behind.

It is inevitable that Devialet will come out with new products, just as every manufacturer does. I understand Gray's point, and certainly the shock is greatest if you buy a product and a new model is released within weeks, or a few months. But that is the same with virtually everything. This year's VW Golf, or Toyota Camry will be replaced by an 'all new model' in a few years. It could be blenders, or skateboards, or iPhones. Hifi is probably less susceptible to the new model syndrome, but it happens everywhere. Judging from your posts, I think you are doing things as well as it can be done: you're asking lots of questions, trying to get answers to the questions you have about your particular needs, and then doing a generous home demo. You've certainly been more thorough than I was.

So if for you, as it is for me, the current Devialet has the sound and features you want then you buy it. It can only be a product of 'now'. It can't anticipate a whole range of possible future products.

Actually, I think that Devialet has already had its 'oh wow' moment of change. Originally there was only the D Premier, at about $15,000.00 (or whatever in Galactic Imperial Credits). Then they came out with the lower cost models which may have been a shock for those that bought in at the initial stage. That said, the DPremier is still an amazing product and has capabilities that the D120 does not have, including a complete hardware upgrade (albeit an expensive upgrade). Other audio companies have pricey hardware upgrade options as well, so in that sense, Devialet is doing well not to leave early purchasers behind.

Personally, my plan is to keep the D120 forever and never buy another amplifier. Even if a new model comes out in Tribal Orange Paisley (which matches my eyes).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(09-Mar-2015, 04:07)Damon Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 12:49)Womaz Wrote: The way I look at it is that every company brings out new products. By the sounds of it the people who bought the original Devialet are still getting their upgrades. Also even without any more upgrades it leaves my current kit trailing a long way behind.

Personally, my plan is to keep the D120 forever and never buy another amplifier. Even if a new model comes out in Tribal Orange Paisley (which matches my eyes).
Applies to me as well  Wink !. For now I m very Happy with 120. 

I do miss the ease of use which I wanted to go with Naim SU, but decided to go with D because of SQ.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Like I said a few posts ago, if it is just an amp then its a bloody good one.

I feel like I am under a magic spell Sleepy Sleepy
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I sense that a decision is imminent.
Idea
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(09-Mar-2015, 11:57)Jwg1749 Wrote: I sense that a decision is imminent.
Idea
Matt

I think the decision has been made for me, its just a matter of when. Hoping the dealer can come back with some suggestions. Only intended to spend £3k ish on this upgrade, so cash flow is the only stumbling block right now.

Truth is this is worth every penny and a lot more I think.
I bought a D-Premier originally. I was happy with the sound from the beginning and I bought a second. The on-line configurator, and the firmware update which allowed it was probably the main big firmware update I appreciated. The wireless hardware was a free update which then allowed AIR, along with another matching firmware update.
SAM was a huge update, but I don't use it and all the others have been relatively small updates.
I would be content with my original dual mono D-Premiers in actual fact, so everything else has been a bonus.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

There's been a fair bit of speculation about what might be announced at Munich in May. (Generally this seems to be when Devialet announce updates for the "expert" line; the pre-Xmas announcement of the Phantom was an exception.) One dealer is on record as saying that there'll be room correction. I'm a bit sceptical about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if some other substantial step forward was announced. Regular soft/firmware upgrades are a great way to keep products in the news. SAM was a great example of this, even if the voteforsam campaign was somewhat misjudged. It got Devialet back onto the front pages of the hi-fi press.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Updates are a bonus the way I see it. I would rather Devialet continue to develop their products than stand still. Then its a simple case of " you pay your money you takes your choice". No extra cash is needed unless you want to part with it.