Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Mac Mini with J. River
I have a 55-inch HD TV in my living room, along with my Devialet 200 system.

I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini, which will connect to my TV via HDMI and to the Devialet via Ethernet (I have a Gigabit Ethernet switch in my audio rack) along with a wireless mouse & keyboard for the Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini would run J. River since I do not use iTunes and all my music files are FLAC.

Would such a setup make sense?
JRiver is a bit buggy and flaky on a Mac you might be better with an NUC PC and Win 8.1. Or if you are OK to set it up boot the Mac into windows which is what mine does and have to say that Goldfrapp - Tales of Us is sounding great playing from it at the moment.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(07-Mar-2015, 20:19)NickB Wrote: JRiver is a bit buggy and flaky on a Mac you might be better with an NUC PC and Win 8.1. Or if you are OK to set it up boot the Mac into windows which is what mine does and have to say that Goldfrapp - Tales of Us is sounding great playing from it at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up on the "buggy" situation with Mac!

A buddy of mine is running J. River on a Windows 7 laptop and loves it.
(07-Mar-2015, 20:00)samurai7595 Wrote: I have a 55-inch HD TV in my living room, along with my Devialet 200 system.

I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini, which will connect to my TV via HDMI and to the Devialet via Ethernet (I have a Gigabit Ethernet switch in my audio rack) along with a wireless mouse & keyboard for the Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini would run J. River since I do not use iTunes and all my music files are FLAC.

Would such a setup make sense?

i had this setup, running Windows on the Mini and JRiver via JRemote. My music was on an external USB drive.
When it was working it was fine, but I ran it headless so it was a bit painful having to VNC in every time I needed to change something with JRiver. For you this should be straightforward via the TV.
I can't see any real problem for you, except the comment about OSX JRiver above.

eventually I got fed up with computer tweaking and bought an Aurender. (do you want to buy my Mini ? ?)
I'm using my TV via HDMI on a Mac mini but with Audirvana, not JRiver. I made a little board with a bean bag underneath and used velcro to stick a wireless keyboard and trackpad on it. This way I can have it on my lap and don't need a mouse pad. It takes a bit of getting used to using the trackpad but once you are it's just an extension of your arm.

I don't know where the problem comes from but when I use the TV for watching a program and then switch back to the Mac, I need to re-start iTunes and Audirvana. After that it works flawless. I am in the progress of changing all my Flac files to AIFF so I can just use iTunes for casual listening and I bought Amarra to have a go at improving the sound. It will be a while before I get to that... I'm currently at the C's so 'only' 23 more letters to go  Confused 
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.