Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harbeth P3ESR SAM gets to 19HZ?
http://en.devialet.com/speakers/harbeth/harbeth-p3esr

Is this for real? Has anyone heard it? They are amazing sounding speakers except for the lack of bass, so this would be wild.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(10-Mar-2015, 01:26)AaronG Wrote: http://en.devialet.com/speakers/harbeth/harbeth-p3esr

Is this for real? Has anyone heard it? They are amazing sounding speakers except for the lack of bass, so this would be wild.

Keep in mind that because the lower frequencies need a larger excursion of the woofer, when you play your music loud, the safety mechanism of SAM kicks in and drops the bass. So it might go deep, but not at the levels you want to listen at. I would 'try before I buy' on this one.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Duly noted. But that's a claim of taking a speaker that has almost no deep bass -- 75 Hz -- and getting it down to 19 Hz. That is the largest stated effect of SAM I know of by far.

(11-Mar-2015, 00:08)AaronG Wrote: Duly noted. But that's a claim of taking a speaker that has almost no deep bass -- 75 Hz -- and getting it down to 19 Hz. That is  the largest stated effect of SAM I know of by far.

Not the largest.... have a look at http://en.devialet.com/speakers/jamo/jamo-r909 going from 94Hz down to 16Hz!
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Wow. Have you heard that? (that has to be a mistake though -- Jamos have much more bass than that)

Jamo specs (from web site) : Frequency Response (Hz, +/-3dB) 35Hz-30kHz

Harbeth specs (from web site) : Freq. response 75Hz-20kHz +/-3dB Free space, grille on, smooth off-axis response

Could it be that the Jamo frequency response is a miss print? Or someone is bragging?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Mar-2015, 14:40)AaronG Wrote: Wow. Have you heard that? (that has to be a mistake though -- Jamos have much more bass than that)

No I have not heard them. but the 94Hz does not surprises me for an open baffle design.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
The reviews all mention the deep powerful bass, so I think that's a typo! I'd be very curious to hear from someone who has heard the Harbeths with SAM. They are top-notch speakers, the midrange is as good as it gets. With bass it might be a serious contender.

OK....anyone has a P3ESR that tried it with Sam? And in what size room and listening db?

All this reading of Devialet's low extension with SAM has me very curious but there is never a db rating so that remains a question. Can't imagine the P3ESR reaching that low with any real quantity but...
Hi,

For sure the 'dB' levels are reduced when cranking the volume which I hear very clearly with my Raidho X1. I mean there will always be a trade off with such a small (4'') woofer. More often after having the X1 broken in I miss the oh so important lower bass in classical music. Well it shouldn't come as a surprise considering the size of speakers. 
But the effect is funny when playing electro music or some music full of bass lines, powerful bass at lower volumes and then when increasing to get that 'there' feeling one octave or more is gone down below.
I love the X1 to bits but I am now considering a home demo of the Raidho C2/D2.

I was somewhat blinded by SAM i having too high hopes even if I deep inside knew its limitations. Still remains a fantastic feature that makes small speakers sound so much more in all aspects. Having heard SAM with bigger speakers it still adds to increased quality by bettering the coherence.

Please note that by talking about higher output volume, I mean real classic orchestral levels (yes X1 can cope with this in my room). My friend the concert flutist when visiting usually test the system at real volumes...

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK