Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power supply noise - standby & when turned off
My experience with two 200s is that there is variability between units. One of mine is completely silent, as far as I can tell, while the other is relatively noisy (audible from a few meters away in a quiet room).

I understand that the noise is caused by a ferrite core in the switch-mode power supply vibrating in such a way that it touches the casework. Presumably whether the noise occurs depends on some fairly tight assembly tolerances.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(02-May-2015, 09:33)ogs Wrote: [..... I would return the noisy unit to my dealer and ask for a replacement.

Good luck with that!

I can assure you from personal experience it's not something Devialet make easy.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Does anybody have updates about this power supply noise? Now I have two D200 that make it I'd love to find a solution.
(20-Jan-2016, 13:35)deviousalet Wrote: Does anybody have updates about this power supply noise? Now I have two D200 that make it I'd love to find a solution.

There isn't one….  I'm afraid that's the sad truth IMO.

If you hear it and can't live with it, the best you can do is complain to Devialet, but IMO - having done that and received a brand new replacement - the D200's just make noise.

My new one was quieter, but its still there. I've no idea whether all D200's are affected and to what extents - maybe some people have silent ones (rather than poor hearing).  Based on the fact that they even put on their website that 'its normal', I think its a design/manufacturing issue. Perhaps they just had a huge batch that make the noise, but if thats the case you'd think they would have fished out a completely silent one for me bearing mind the hassle I gave them about it.  

If you decide to go down the complaining route, you'll need to be firm and tenacious.  Doing this with Devialet isn't for the faint-hearted.  Bearing in mind I had other issues with my D200 (unable to stream reliably via USB, to name one), I was appalled at the customer service received and their resistance to fix the problem (they concluded it was OK even without hearing it or taking it for investigation - they can apparently test the machines telepathically from France). It was that episode, on top of Air, that really put me off the brand to the point Id never recommend them. I would probably own (or at least be evaluating) two Phantoms by now but I've seen the light in terms of Devialet's customer support, so wouldn't go near them now - I'll wait for someone else to catchup with the tech.  I've thought a few times about upgrading to a 250 or 400, but each time I think back to this and decide against it.

Hope you find a solution.  They certainly never suggested there are any other ways to reduce it.  Mines wall mounted now (on their official bracket after using screws initially), and it didnt  make any of difference to the PS chattering noise.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear that they never fixed this for you. I consider myself lucky that Air works for me so I'm not sure I'd get an upgrade if I traded in my units. I agree with your complaints about Devialet, and I too was interested in the Phantoms as promised but not delivered. The issues in the Expert line seem better sorted even if some remain.

Maybe the new power filter board developed for the Original d'Atelier could help.

Have you (or anyone) tried power filtering, shimming internal parts, or anything like that to solve the problem?
I had never noticed a noise from my amps either as D-Premiers or after update. The background noise in my room is 30dB.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

My room right now (noon) measures 36 dB at my seat and 38 dB with the meter sitting next to my Devialets.