Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BjornWiman's system
Mike,

I have been using the SMT products in various version since 2003. From the beginning my listening room was a kind of prototype for the SMT Level 3 concept. So from that time I still have som ceiling treatment left - otherwise there are only a huge (120x180 cm) acoustic board/picture from "Sound of Science", (another Swedish Acoustic manufacturer sofsci.com) located on the wall in the leg of the "L" shapen, to lower the reverb level in the room. There is also an early sample of the plexi version of "Wing" located on the right side of the system.

The products shown in the picture are 4 pcs of "Wings" in MDF, 2 pcs of "V-4" adjustable Helmholtz resonators and 2 pcs of "V-4 special" with a fixed 80hz tuning. Non of the acoustical treatment needed assistance from Matts to install and tune.

The Jenving CAT7+ is a bargain concidering price/performance. Before buying the Jenving cable, I was using a no-name CAT6 and the difference in performance was huge! Every aspect of musical reproduction improved significantly - tonality, soundstage - you name it! So for me it is a no-brainer since the Jenving cable is by far the cheapest cable in my system but delivered as an investment at least 10 times the money :-D

BR Björn

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
Mike,

I will try another D250 on occation - a friend of mine have offered me lending his - but I am not sure if I dare... ;-D

BR Björn

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

(09-May-2015, 19:01)BjornWiman Wrote:
(09-May-2015, 08:13)archer75 Wrote: It is indeed Q3 as stated at his signature. Many of us use tapatalk I believe so we can not see signatures of fellow forum members as we can normally see at web view.

It is a fantastic setup - one I am aiming towards. How does 250 drive Q3's? Do you think a mono setup will make it fly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your kind comments!

I have been using this setup since 2011 when I had the fortune to receive one of the first Q3 delivered in Scandinavia ( I live in Sweden). I have previously owned a lot of good speakers ( working in the audio business do this to you), and normally they have stayed for about three years before they have been exchanged into a new model. But this is not the case with the Q3 - it is a keeper!

The D250 was originally a D-Premiere bought in May 2011 and upgraded to D240/250 in March 2014. 

My room is "L" shaped with a total area of 30sq meters (approximatel 300sq feet). I have never felt the need for a more powerful amplifier since the introduction of SAM last year - but since I have owned several big mono amplifiers throughout the years, the urge for a mono amplifier solution is there from time to time?  - but there is no actual need for more power. But from what I have understood from reading some of the comments elsewhere in this forum, there are more than power to expect from a D800 combo. I tried the D-Premiere/D500 combo but did not experience an improvement motivating the investment at that time.

I play a varity of music - from big symphonic pieces to solo instruments, opera, electronica, classic hard rock, blues - pretty much everything as long as it is good music. This put high expectations on a music system but I can honestly say that I believe my combination live up to the challenge. I see myself as a lucky guy in that remark!

BR Björn

PS. I include a picture taken at the 2011 Gothenburg Hifi-Show showing my actual pair of Q3's ( thank you myhighend) DS.

I understand. And look forward to hear the outcome of mono setup as Mikeo suggested. Anyway, excellent setup regardless of mono.
(10-May-2015, 05:57)BjornWiman Wrote: Mike,

I have been using the SMT products in various version since 2003.  From the beginning my listening room was a kind of prototype for the SMT Level 3 concept. So from that time I still have som ceiling treatment left - otherwise there are only a huge (120x180 cm) acoustic board/picture from "Sound of Science", (another Swedish Acoustic manufacturer sofsci.com) located on the wall in the leg of the "L" shapen, to lower the reverb level in the room. There is also an early sample of the plexi version of "Wing" located on the right side of the system.

The products shown in the picture are 4 pcs of "Wings" in MDF, 2 pcs of "V-4" adjustable Helmholtz resonators and 2 pcs of "V-4 special" with a fixed 80hz tuning.  Non of the acoustical treatment needed assistance from Matts to install and tune.

The Jenving CAT7+ is a bargain concidering price/performance. Before buying the Jenving cable, I was using a no-name CAT6 and the difference in performance was huge! Every aspect of musical reproduction improved significantly - tonality, soundstage - you name it! So for me it is a no-brainer since the Jenving cable is by far the cheapest cable in my system but delivered as an investment at least 10 times the money :-D

BR Björn

Björn,

Thanks for your detailed answer! I'm thinking of, as a start, to add the SMT paper wings to my ceiling. Just need the time to do these things and i doubt it will be this side of August.

/Mike 
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
From what I understand, the paper Wing is the most quiet one without any tendencies to accent the midrange. I bought some of the first plexi-Wings and they were "singing" to such degree that I had to remove them from the listening room. Later on, Matts has improved the Wings in a couple of ways so this is now a minor problem.

Good luck with your plans!

Main system:

(13-May-2015, 10:53)BjornWiman Wrote: From what I understand, the paper Wing is the most quiet one without any tendencies to accent the midrange. I bought some of the first plexi-Wings and they were "singing" to such degree that I had to remove them from the listening room. Later on, Matts has improved the Wings in a couple of ways so this is now a minor problem.

Good luck with your plans!

Björn,

Many thanks for that input as that just made my choice more clear.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
A couple of weeks ago it was time for a minor upgrade - new power cable.

I have previously used Nordost Valhalla ( which was very fast but a little lightfooted in my system), and Transparent Audio PLMM2x with the PIMM2x (gave a better fundament and very stabile soundstage, but the music sounded a bit restrained, like something slowed the musical flow down)

Since I have used the Shunyata Anaconda speaker cable for the last 9 month and just love How it "completed" my system, It was quite a no-brainer to try Shunyata power cables as well.

I tried the PL-Z10, a not so thick cable designed with Devialet in mind - but even though it was a great cable, it was not the right cable in my system. But when I passed on to the Alpha HC things fell into place. It hade most of the things I was looking for - so I bought it and used it for a couple of months with great satisfaction. Then a friend came by and offered me to lend his Anaconda power cable.

This cable added some qualities I did not received from the Alpha HC - but it was not better over all. So there was no reason to exchange power cable to the Anaconda ( I have later tried the Anaconda in a couple of different applications and it is very equipment dependand on the result compared to the Alpha).

So it ended up with a Shunyata Sigma Digital. I have never experienced a longer run in time from a cable before - it took nearly 500h of playing music before it settled! Musically it satisfied everything I have been looking for and it brings all the good things from previous power cables without their flaws. But forget the lid of the amplifier - the connector is as big as ever!

[Image: 24113abf116a57b70d5a61a0146bc334.jpg]

Main system:

Hello, BjornWiman. But what in your signature is still Shunyata Alpha HC. BTW what model of Shunyata SC are you using?
Hi G51,

I have forgot to change my signature ️ - for the speakers I am using 1,5 mtr Shunyata Anaconda cable with banana plugs in both ends.

Main system:

I see that you have Silver Phantoms in stereo setup, how do you think they sound? I have only heard them at Hilton Hotel in Copenhagen and the room played along and they played really loud so maybe not the best situation to evaluate how they sound. My dealer just got in two Phantoms and I am a little intrested to have one or two in my second system in my "uterum" dont know what this kind of room is called in English but since you are from Sweden Björn you know what I mean Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree