Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One set: Phantom or Phantom Silver?
I am about to order a set of two Phantoms and a Dialog.
Now, my guess is that 2x 750watts would be more than enough for my living room. And I assume the 3000watts are more suitable for clubs and other big places.
With other speaker systems, ‘bigger’ boxes usually meant that they require ’bigger’ rooms and more space 'to breathe'. Does this account for the Phantoms?
Is there, beside sound level (and the nice, silver color) any other reason to go for the Phantom Silver?
The high power is needed for the active compensation of natural bass roll-off so is in no way comparable with normal hifi.
The key specification, IMO, is the maximum acoustic output.
The standard Phantom can raise 99db at 1 meter and the silver Phantom 105dB.

Given a typical loudspeaker efficiency of around 86dB/watt that means a standard Phantom will be a bit like a standardish speaker with <10 watts per channel, and the Silver Phantom more like a standardish speaker and 40 watt amp. OTOH the standardish speaker won't go anywhere near as low in the bass

My big speakers are horns, so very efficient (but also don't go down to 20Hz) and I need less than 1 watt to go as loud as a Silver Phantom rated maximum.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I think you will also need to consider the size of your listening area. You might need the extra power to achieve desired SPLs in a large listening space.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
I had 400W amp, and gallo ref 3.5 speakers, and in maximum I got arround 103dB, distance was 2m in room. I think that 105dB is very loud.
its 105 at 1 meter , listen 3m back and it drops significantly - you have a 6db drop as distance doubles , so at 3-4m you have 9-12 db less .. ie 93 to 95 db at listening position.
If you choose the normal one , your max spl at listening distance is 86 -89 db , not enough imo for big peaks
I would rather go for the silver at a few bob more , just for the headroom you may need.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
For reference, I have the silver phantoms and a large room I have never gone beyond 55 - 60 volume, this was extremely loud.
(13-Mar-2015, 11:08)davidadamson Wrote: For reference,  I have the silver phantoms and a large room I have never gone beyond 55 - 60 volume, this was extremely  loud.

Thank you for your answer regarding sound level on the Silver Phantoms.

What do you think about the quality of placement and detail in music? Is it 'just good enough' or 'really good'?
I don't know with what kind of system to compare them. I assume they are in a different league than a Sonos setup, but how do they stand when you compare them to a 'decent' hifi set?
They are really good, I have an excellent system and the phantoms are different better in some respects not as good in others, overall for the price they are hard to beat.
Miles over any Sonos system I have heard. Very detailed, effortless, terrific bass, treble somewhat restrained, stereo imaging good
(12-Mar-2015, 16:09)michirishi Wrote: I am about to order a set of two Phantoms and a Dialog.  
Now, my guess is that 2x 750watts would be more than enough for my living room. And I assume the 3000watts are more suitable for clubs and other big places.
With other speaker systems, ‘bigger’ boxes usually meant that they require ’bigger’ rooms and more space 'to breathe'.  Does this account for the Phantoms?
Is there, beside sound level (and the nice, silver color) any other reason to go for the Phantom Silver?

My question is:  If you buy the cheaper Phantoms, will you ever ask yourself "what would the silver ones be like"?  If so, you will never be fully happy with your cheaper Phantoms.  Pay a bit more, this question will never bother you, and you can enjoy the music!
The price difference is marginal (less than 20% more) so I would easily go for Silver. These not only could play louder but more important sounded better specially in the bass area and of course dynamics was limitless. 
When time comes and Dev fixed software and/or perhaps some hardware issues and most important, being able to hook it up with the Expert line, I'll order silver pair.
For a cinema setup they offer a fantastic nice package with sound quality as well.

I am waiting/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK