Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD Transport into 200
Hi again.

I have recently purchased the 200 and I have decided that I may keep my Musical Fidelity M1 Cd transport for now too. My CLIC network player cant be connected digitally, so I have this connected to Line 1. As I also have a headphone amp I have configured the other digital line outs to pre-outs to accommodate this.
Problem i now have is the Coaxial digital cable I have for my CD player has nowhere to go in the back of the 200.
Sorry if this is a simple question, but if I just buy another digital cable - ie Optical digital cable? or an AES/ABU digital cable will it then just be a simple case of connecting to the 200.

I also have to bear in mind that in the next few months I will probably be buying a new network player that will connect digitally to my 200. Or Dialog.........lots of options here. Will this influence how I connect my CD transport

I know i could just keep the cable I have and save two configurations and swap cables around but I would prefer not to go down this route.

The reason I am thinking about keeping the CD transport is I feel it gives a better sound, its not a massive difference, but enough to make me rethink on its sale.

Again any guidance appreciated and without this forum I would have struggled over last few weeks, so many thanks.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
In your position I'd use an optical connection from the CD player to the Devialet.  I wouldn't spend lots of money on it (ymmv).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(13-Mar-2015, 10:53)thumb5 Wrote: In your position I'd use an optical connection from the CD player to the Devialet.  I wouldn't spend lots of money on it (ymmv).

That would also keep free the other digital connection for the possible new network player?

Always tend to use Chord company or Audioquest but not expensive ones, but the CD player may also go in a few months time. It just buys me some time until I decide where to go with the Network player.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I think you can configure "Line 2" as a line input (normally used for vinyl but can be set to normal line level), line 1 can be configured as two digital inputs (giving an input for your CD) the stereo pre-outs remain as they are, configured on Dig 1 & Dig 2. This will allow you to use a normal SPDIF digital connection. I notice that the M1CD has also AES/EBU output, (The Devialet's AES/EBU input is free with your current set up), this has the potential to give even better results, so it might be worth getting an XLR cable to try this.
(13-Mar-2015, 11:21)Confused Wrote: I think you can configure "Line 2" as a line input (normally used for vinyl but can be set to normal line level), line 1 can be configured as two digital inputs (giving an input for your CD) the stereo pre-outs remain as they are, configured on Dig 1 & Dig 2. This will allow you to use a normal SPDIF digital connection.  I notice that the M1CD has also AES/EBU output, (The Devialet's AES/EBU input is free with your current set up), this has the potential to give even better results, so it might be worth getting an XLR cable to try this.

Getting a little confused now. Like the pun Smile

I already have my headphone amp and Network player using these ??

I know I can use the AES/EBU but I was going to leave this for the new network player. I wish i understood all of this bloody stuff Smile
(13-Mar-2015, 11:21)Confused Wrote: I think you can configure "Line 2" as a line input (normally used for vinyl but can be set to normal line level), line 1 can be configured as two digital inputs (giving an input for your CD) the stereo pre-outs remain as they are, configured on Dig 1 & Dig 2. This will allow you to use a normal SPDIF digital connection.  I notice that the M1CD has also AES/EBU output, (The Devialet's AES/EBU input is free with your current set up), this has the potential to give even better results, so it might be worth getting an XLR cable to try this.

Ah sorry I think I get it now. Use the phono outputs as a digital input?
(13-Mar-2015, 10:49)Womaz Wrote: Hi again.

I have recently purchased the 200 and I have decided that I may keep my Musical Fidelity M1 Cd transport for now too. My CLIC network player cant be connected digitally, so I have this connected to Line 1. As I also have a headphone amp I have configured the other digital line outs to pre-outs to accommodate this.
Problem i now have is the Coaxial digital cable I have for my CD player has nowhere to go in the back of the 200.
Sorry if this is a simple question, but if I just buy another digital cable - ie Optical digital cable? or an AES/ABU digital cable will it then just be a simple case of connecting to the 200.

I also have to bear in mind that in the next few months I will probably be buying a new network player that will connect digitally to my 200. Or Dialog.........lots of options here. Will this influence how I connect my CD transport

I know i could just keep the cable I have and save two configurations and swap cables around but I would prefer not to go down this route.

The reason I am thinking about keeping the CD transport is I feel it gives a better sound, its not a massive difference, but enough to make me rethink on its sale.

Again any guidance appreciated and without this forum I would have struggled over last few weeks, so many thanks.

Ok so let me check I understand... you have a CLIC network player connected via Line 1 inputs, the headphone amp is connected using the 2 digital inputs configured as pre amplified outputs, so that leaves you just the optical input and the AES/EBU input for your CD player... correct? 

So you want to know out of the available inputs (AES/EBU or optical) which is best? Of course AES/EBU will always be better than optical...

However... at the same time you don't know how long the CLIC will stay, in which case that's two SPDIF connections available when it goes... and you already have an SPDIF...

But then you don't know if the CD player will stay either? 

And then you have the issue of not knowing whether you will go for a Dialog or external streamer, again different connectors depending on your choice. Dialog and Aurender are USB and other streamers favour AES/EBU connections...

If the streamer is your ultimate destination I would work out which one you are going to go for before spending lots of money on cables. If you go for one that connects via USB you wouldn't want to have spent loads on an Optical or AES/EBU. In the meantime thumb5 is right, just use a basic optical one.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
In simple terms, there are six phono / SPDIF inputs. So two for the ClIC, two for the headphone amp. This leaves two free, so one for the CD player, one for the network player or the AES/EBU input. Also, some network players work best using the USB input, so you actually have many workable options.
(13-Mar-2015, 11:44)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(13-Mar-2015, 10:49)Womaz Wrote: Hi again.

Ok so let me check I understand... you have a CLIC network player connected via Line 1 inputs, the headphone amp is connected using the 2 digital inputs configured as pre amplified outputs, so that leaves you just the optical input and the AES/EBU input for your CD player... correct? 

So you want to know out of the available inputs (AES/EBU or optical) which is best? Of course AES/EBU will always be better than optical...

However... at the same time you don't know how long the CLIC will stay, in which case that's two SPDIF connections available when it goes... and you already have an SPDIF...

But then you don't know if the CD player will stay either? 

And then you have the issue of not knowing whether you will go for a Dialog or external streamer, again different connectors depending on your choice. Dialog and Aurender are USB and other streamers favour AES/EBU connections...

If the streamer is your ultimate destination I would work out which one you are going to go for before spending lots of money on cables. If you go for one that connects via USB you wouldn't want to have spent loads on an Optical or AES/EBU. In the meantime thumb5 is right, just use a basic optical one.

Guillaume

Yes thats spot on. Streamer / Newtork player is my ultimate destination.Of course the CLIC is excatly that but I am unfortunate in that it does not have a digital out. Therefore the CD transport will probably stay too. It may actually stay indefinitely as I do like to stick a CD in. Its quicker than my CLIC to operate and find my albums etc etc.

The main reason the CD transport is staying right now though is that it sounds better. Its a big enough improvement over the CLIC for me to want to keep it.

I will try and configure the Phone inputs as Confused states above......
(13-Mar-2015, 11:48)Confused Wrote: In simple terms, there are six phono / SPDIF inputs.  So two for the ClIC, two for the headphone amp.  This leaves two free, so one for the CD player, one for the network player or the AES/EBU input.   Also, some network players work best using the USB input, so you actually have many workable options.

You're right Confused, I hadn't realised that the Phono 2 inputs can be configured as line inputs.

Can't believe I spent so much time thinking this through.  Blush  Angry

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK