Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power output vs nominal impedance
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of doubts regarding the power output/impedance relationship.

My Olympicas are rated at 4 ohms and the so called "suggested amplifier power output (without clipping)" goes from just 50 to 250W (per channel, I assume). Now, the D200 may provide up to 200W per channel through 6 ohm. If we lower the impedance, as in my case, the power delivered would be greater, am I correct? If so, by how much?
I'm sure someone may be able to throw in a basic formula to accurately calculate the max power output needed to drive any pair of speakers given their rated impedance.

The thing is that, as I haven't been able to notice any difference at 200W, I have lowered the power output to 170W, just to keep the temperatures lower in an attempt to increase the lifespan of my beloved amp. Ultimately, I would like to know what max power to set on the configurator so that my Olympicas receive under 250W through their 4 Ohms. I know SAM protects the drivers but I would like to still optimize further.

I believe not, but if needed to answer my question, the sensitivity (understood as 2.83V/1m) of this speakers are 88 dB.

Thank you guys in advance.

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
There is no one answer here but generally a well built amp will double the power when the impedance is halved.

Linear so to speak. So an ideal amp capable of delving 400w @ 8 ohm will deliver 800w @ 4 ohm

Devialet is almost linear as it doubles the output rated for 8 ohm and 4 ohm. Though all the D series is rated at 6 ohm. So on paper a D200 should be able to deliver 133w in 8ohm, 200w in 6ohm and 266w in 4ohm.

But remember, it is not easy because this is only looking from the amp side. But you also need to look from the speaker side and consider (in addition to impedance and nominal power) things like sensitivity and SPL they can generate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(13-Mar-2015, 15:03)amabrok Wrote: There is no one answer here but generally a well built amp will double the power when the impedance is halved.

Linear so to speak.  So an ideal amp capable of delving 400w @ 8 ohm will deliver 800w @ 4 ohm

Devialet is almost linear as it doubles the output rated for 8 ohm and 4 ohm. Though all the  D series is rated at 6 ohm. So on paper a D200 should be able to deliver 133w in 8ohm, 200w in 6ohm and 266w in 4ohm.

But remember, it is not easy because this is only looking from the amp side. But you also need to look from the speaker side and consider (in addition to impedance and nominal power) things like sensitivity and SPL they can generate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi amabrok,

Very grateful for your answer! I thought the Devialet had to be pretty much linear, but was not really sure.

Nonetheless, in the end, to be honest, you can try to tweak as much as you want and still you ear (with some education) must be the final judge Smile

Take care,

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy