Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First impressions
(23-Mar-2015, 13:34)dr.sah Wrote: what is bass diameter on phantom? 8 inches?  is there any need for sub?

Im more and more interested in this speakers.

The height of the Phantom is 10 inches.
Given the space left on the top and the bottom, I have calculated it should be a 6.1 inches speaker (I made mesurements in Photoshop based on the available photos).
Not acurate, but not too far, I think.
I just measured mine. The actual diaphragm is about 6", but it is difficult to compare with conventional speaker terminology since the tradition is to specify drive units by chassis diameter, not the diameter of the pistonic element. A traditional 12" bass unit has a cone of about 9" diameter, so the Phantom has about 90% the radiating area as a conventional 12" drive unit.

The whole objective of SAM is to give full bandwidth so a sub would make the whole concept of Phantom pointless.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I currently have a 10 inches subwoofer (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Gemini.htm). It's a very good subwoofer for the price (40Hz-120Hz).
It's a REL subwoofer equivalent. In home cinema, I can enjoy very deep bass (almost infrabass) with some punch in the body.
And in Stereo, it's a very melodic subwoofer.

If the Phantom can handle basses the same way, I would be very please.

The upper subwoofer of this brand is a 12 inches subwoofer (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm).
This one is REALLY really good (17Hz-120Hz).
In theory, it should be equivalent at what the Phantom offers. If this is true, it is quite amazing. But it is just theory... It has to be verified!

What is interesting is that I planned to buy two Phantoms. So it would be like having two mini-subwoofers.
I suppose it is enough for the bass if it does what it tells...

If anyone has anything to say regarding the comparison between subwoofers and phantom... Smile
(23-Mar-2015, 15:35)fgueho Wrote: I currently have a 10 inches subwoofer (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Gemini.htm). It's a very good subwoofer for the price (40Hz-120Hz).
It's a REL subwoofer equivalent. In home cinema, I can enjoy very deep bass (almost infrabass) with some punch in the body.
And in Stereo, it's a very melodic subwoofer.

If the Phantom can handle basses the same way, I would be very please.

The upper subwoofer of this brand is a 12 inches subwoofer (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm).
This one is REALLY really good (17Hz-120Hz).
In theory, it should be equivalent at what the Phantom offers. If this is true, it is quite amazing. But it is just theory... It has to be verified!

What is interesting is that I planned to buy two Phantoms. So it would be like having two mini-subwoofers.
I suppose it is enough for the bass if it does what it tells...

If anyone has anything to say regarding the comparison between subwoofers and phantom... Smile

Well put this way...

I had a 802D, 2xMusic Fidelity Superchargers, and a REL Britannia B2 subwoofer.

I've sold them all except the 802 which should be gone in the next couple of weeks.

Do I miss any of that. Not one bit.

That should answer your question.

In most respects the Phantoms equal, no I would say SURPASS my previous set up for movies and music. BTW, I have a 3rd Phantom that is still in its box, ready to act as the Centre channel in what the sales rep called a 3.0 setup. I have some stands on order and when these arrive I will be able to space out the left and right channel even more and set up the 3rd as my centre channel - this of course will be properly implemented when the 'movie' firmware comes out later in the year. Yeah baby then we are going to kick some 'ass'.

Finally the Spark app is CRAP. However, if the promised changes take place and with future firmware upgrades there are going to be a lot of embarrassed companies and audiophiles who won't like to admit that they have had their day....the NEW KIDS are on the block.
(23-Mar-2015, 19:36)stonedragon Wrote: I have a 3rd Phantom that is still in its box, ready to act as the Centre channel in what the sales rep called a 3.0 setup. I have some stands on order and when these arrive I will be able to space out the left and right channel even more and set up the 3rd as my centre channel - this of course will be properly implemented when the 'movie' firmware comes out later in the year.

I currently have a not-so good 5.1 setup for music, but a good one for home theatre. I can really ear explosion behind me or helicopter passing by, with a bluray.
I plan to change for a stereo setup with 2 phantoms.
I am a bit scared to loose the home theatre imaging of my 5.1 setup.

Have you tried your stereo setup with an action movie. What do you think of it?
What about the length of power cables? I assume one needs to place the speakers away from the wall to get better sound stage.
Is there any recommended speaker placement diagram given the shape/characteristics of the speakers?
...I will have to build extra outlets Smile Any solutions to this? For example outlets built into the floor (my wife will kill me)?
(23-Mar-2015, 20:49)fgueho Wrote:
(23-Mar-2015, 19:36)stonedragon Wrote: I have a 3rd Phantom that is still in its box, ready to act as the Centre channel in what the sales rep called a 3.0 setup. I have some stands on order and when these arrive I will be able to space out the left and right channel even more and set up the 3rd as my centre channel - this of course will be properly implemented when the 'movie' firmware comes out later in the year.

I currently have a not-so good 5.1 setup for music, but a good one for home theatre. I can really ear explosion behind me or helicopter passing by, with a bluray.
I plan to change for a stereo setup with 2 phantoms.
I am a bit scared to loose the home theatre imaging of my 5.1 setup.

Have you tried your stereo setup with an action movie. What do you think of it?
Buy 5 then. I hear they are planning to upgrade Spark to do a full surround setup (excluding the sub). Problem solved.

But as things stand a 2.0 (or should be 2.2 - since you have 2 inbuilt subs for all intent and purpose Cool ) gives me my bass. I guess it is where your priorities lie. 

Don't expect overblown bass. It is deep and tight and very, very, well integrated into music or films. 

If you are in London, go and visit Harrods, that is where I heard for the first time. I shared the listening room with a guy who said his system was about £10K. He bought two Silvers there and then. One of the things they demod was the trailer for the new Stars War film, streamed from the internet. My, my. You would not of thought the sound was coming from just two speakers. Can't really say much more. They are very, very good.
I can't integrate easily a 5.1 setup in my new appartement. So it will be a 2.0 setup.
And the cost of 5 phantoms is beyond what my wallet allow me to spend for this new setup. Smile

I will listen them in Paris, if I can (I live in Lyon).
Or I will push my luck and order them...
We'll see.

But I'm a bit worried of the software part. It seems very poor for now and that concerns me for the future!

And my current installation is based on an AV Receiver and multiples sources (HTPC, Internet Box for TV, Playstation, Bluray, etc.)
So I have to keep my AV Receiver (with an unique optical output). I don't know if it will work well with the phantoms...
(23-Mar-2015, 22:19)fgueho Wrote: I can't integrate easily a 5.1 setup in my new appartement. So it will be a 2.0 setup.
And the cost of 5 phantoms is beyond what my wallet allow me to spend for this new setup. Smile

I will listen them in Paris, if I can (I live in Lyon).
Or I will push my luck and order them...
We'll see.

But I'm a bit worried of the software part. It seems very poor for now and that concerns me for the future!

And my current installation is based on an AV Receiver and multiples sources (HTPC, Internet Box for TV, Playstation, Bluray, etc.)
So I have to keep my AV Receiver (with an unique optical output). I don't know if it will work well with the phantoms...

I've got rid of my 5.1 KEF many years ago and went for better quality stereo. Never missed the surround. I'm convinced a good quality stereo is all one needs. 

I currently have my Oppo 105D running into the optical in and it is fantastic for movies. Mind you it doesn't work for SACD if you want DSD. Only works at PCM 192. 

I find that the Spark software is more stable on iOS and Windows. The Android version is hopeless. 
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(24-Mar-2015, 01:07)trashken Wrote:
(23-Mar-2015, 22:19)fgueho Wrote: I've got rid of my 5.1 KEF many years ago and went for better quality stereo. Never missed the surround. I'm convinced a good quality stereo is all one needs. 

I currently have my Oppo 105D running into the optical in and it is fantastic for movies. Mind you it doesn't work for SACD if you want DSD. Only works at PCM 192. 

I find that the Spark software is more stable on iOS and Windows. The Android version is hopeless. 

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I thought the Oppo could only output 16/48 via SPDIF / Optical outputs?

Since I am also contemplating dropping my surround setup, it would be great if you could confirm the 192.

Thanks. 
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack