Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will US Prices "adjust"?
In the market for a 200. . .the $ is $9500 plus tax (aprox $800) where I live in the US. . .but euro price for a 200 seems to be 6900 Euro which as of this morning is approx $7300. I could fly to France for the weekend, buy one and bring it back (declaring it and paying customs) and spend less money (trip expense included).

Am I missing something? Shouldn't dealers at some point drop the price or offer "discounts"?
This wont help you but the price in the UK dropped last November, obviously due to the weak Euro.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(17-Mar-2015, 22:38)actx76092 Wrote: In the market for a 200. . .the $ is $9500 plus tax (aprox $800) where I live in the US. . .but euro price for a 200 seems to be 6900 Euro which as of this morning is approx $7300.  I could fly to France for the weekend, buy one and bring it back (declaring it and paying customs) and spend less money (trip expense included).

Am I missing something?  Shouldn't dealers at some point drop the price or offer "discounts"?

Well, that's the way international pricing works.  We usually see the same thing in reverse here in the UK - in the past I've seen prices for US equipment "translated" at around 1 USD to 1 GBP, that's about 40-50% increase.  The usual argument is that you shouldn't expect price parity because of the additional costs associated with transport, dealer networks, support, etc. outside the country of origin.  Whether you believe that justifies the price differential or not is up to you, of course.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I may just keep on the lookout for a cheap ticket to France....
(17-Mar-2015, 22:51)actx76092 Wrote: I may just keep on the lookout for a cheap ticket to France....

Sounds very tempting!

If I were you, though, I'd check that you'll get support in the US for kit bought in Europe.  Also watch out for import duty; I don't know whether that's an issue if you bring goods into the US, but it would be if I were to buy something in the US and bring it into the UK (for example).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
In China, Devialet pricing is even more expensive than in USA. D200 is priced at RMB65280 (~9900 Euro) in China. I bought my D200 in Munich while traveling and brought it back to China. Luckily for me, the customs never checked my luggage. I saved more than enough to pay for my entire ski trip in Austria.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(17-Mar-2015, 22:51)actx76092 Wrote: I may just keep on the lookout for a cheap ticket to France....

Personally, I'd recommend going to France, and Paris, regardless of your hi-fi pursuits. Or Italy. Or both. But if you want to buy across a border, come north, where the D200 is about $,9,995.00 CDN, which is pretty cheap in your version of the dollar. Tax varies from province to province, so check that out. I can't promise the same remarkable history, or cuisine as you will find in France or Italy, but now is the time for the currency-conscious.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
India prices are D120 == $7300/-
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Actually it is even cheaper, if you buy and have them ship as you will not pay VAT tax which is around 18%
I had my phantoms shipped and they arrived in 4 days DHL insured for 150.
(18-Mar-2015, 08:04)davidadamson Wrote: Actually it is even cheaper,  if you buy and have them ship as you will not pay VAT tax which is around 18%
I had my phantoms shipped and they arrived in 4 days DHL insured for 150.

You'll be very lucky if you pay not VAT (and not technically legal!). Plus the lovely handling fee for handling international packages, plus 3 weeks while it sits in a warehouse waiting to be dealt with. I so love Parcelforce (who handle incoming customs-chargeable items to the UK), not.